Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Getting rid of telefonica home phone !

Getting rid of telefonica home phone !

Old Jul 13th 2012, 1:08 pm
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of
Default Getting rid of telefonica home phone !

Has any one achieved it ?
Our line was cancelled & changed to vodafone 2 years ago now. We have the cancellation reference number but can't get rid of the phone & associated charges
I call them up they say take it to a shop, I take it to a shop & they tell me I have to phone up & get it collected.

Suzi
Old Jul 13th 2012, 3:26 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting rid of telefonica home phone !

Not sure which is worse - Telefonica or Vodafone...

..but try calling 1004, in response to the (spanish) voice prompt, answer with the word "factura", and when someone finally answers, ask to speak English, wait on hold for another 10 minutes, and then when someone who speaks english answers, explain your situation, and ask them what you need to do. If they say go to a shop, tell them the shop says to call 1004.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:35 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

When you tell them you want to cancel they should send you a letter that you then have to fax back to them, settle for nothing less, or be it at your peril
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:46 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

They never asked for ours back when we bought our own. I always expected them to. No charges either. We stopped using TF for internet recently, but they havent asked for their router either
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:50 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

How can they charge you if you simply refuse to pay? Do you have direct debit? One 10 minute visit to your bank will take care of that.

Once you've done that, then the burden is on Telefonica to prove you owe it to them, and if it's officially cancelled and you have the paperwork, you can just fax it to them when they send the threatening letters. Failing that, your middle finger will at least release some anxiety about it.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:08 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
How can they charge you if you simply refuse to pay? Do you have direct debit? One 10 minute visit to your bank will take care of that.

Once you've done that, then the burden is on Telefonica to prove you owe it to them, and if it's officially cancelled and you have the paperwork, you can just fax it to them when they send the threatening letters. Failing that, your middle finger will at least release some anxiety about it.
Do you remember post we have had here before about people who have tried to cancel d/d's. I seem to remember one person with Vodaphone was talking about moving their bank account because of the trouble they had
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:46 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas

if only it were that simple, they are one of the most powerful companies in Spain, and when they say you owe them money, you end up paying it as other lawyers just won't take them on.

Best to get it right when cancelling
Old Jul 14th 2012, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

angie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really nice

I had the same problem, they didnt collect it, then I got a bill over a year later for nearly 600 euros!!!! I refused to pay and eventually they quoshed it!
Old Jul 14th 2012, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I just rang them and they stopped billing me.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 6:48 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I was with Telefonica (Terra) and changed over to Wannadoo (Orange), whose service was even worse, so I crawled back to Telefonica and I'm now with Movistar (Telefonica).

I sometimes get rebellious and use Linux instead of Microsoft, but when everything goes wrong I crawl back to the big boys. Better the devil you know . . .
Old Jul 14th 2012, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

dairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nice

Be careful!

I had a dongle from Orange. I cancelled and as the contract was out of date there was no problem. I also cancelled the d.d. Then 6 months later it started appearing again on the bank statement. I stopped it again in the bank and forgot about it.

Then I got telephone calls from some kind of collection agency on behalf of Orange. After a lot of to-ing and fro-ing I just paid the amount they were claiming operating on the ´life´s too short´principle. I did this via telephone and used a credit card.

Then it started all over again. Turns out that my credit card was from a foreign bank and they wouldn´t accept it. But nobody TOLD ME this!

I use simyo.es online now and will never ever have anything to do with either vodafone or orange again!

With regard to the phone return. I think that might be cos´the shop you´re going to is only a franchise or similar and you need to go to a ´proper´telefonica shop. I had to do this a couple of years ago and had to go into the city (rather than local town) shop. I would do one of the foll:-

1. Get them to give you the address of your nearest telefonica shop
2. Use a delivery service like MRW (who are surprisingly cheap) to send the phone back to HQ - that way you have a record of its return.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

gardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nice

Took mine to a 'Telefonica shop' who gave me a reference number, I then rang 1004 with the reference number and that was that. I know one person who rang 1004 and was told that as it was an old one just to dump it. I suspect that it varies from operator to operator !!
Old Jul 14th 2012, 1:53 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I cancelled my phone contract, by fax and never returned the phone.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 1:54 pm
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dairymaid
Be careful!

With regard to the phone return. I think that might be cos´the shop you´re going to is only a franchise or similar and you need to go to a ´proper´telefonica shop. I had to do this a couple of years ago and had to go into the city (rather than local town) shop. I would do one of the foll:-

1. Get them to give you the address of your nearest telefonica shop
2. Use a delivery service like MRW (who are surprisingly cheap) to send the phone back to HQ - that way you have a record of its return.
Thank you, good idea, I will ask them to specify a shop.

Suzi