British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Getting post in Ibiza (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/getting-post-ibiza-878949/)

sarrums Jun 15th 2016 8:07 pm

Getting post in Ibiza

Can anyone give me some information about how you can get your post delivered in Ibiza? My boss has bought a house in Ibiza (which she will spend only 50% of time at) and there is confusion about how she can receive her post and correspondence. Does she need to buy a PO box, and if so how Does she go about this?

Rosemary Jun 15th 2016 8:16 pm

Re: Getting post in Ibiza

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

lyric030250 Jun 15th 2016 9:50 pm

The question to be asked is does the house have a delivery. Normally in Spain properties out of towns do not have a delivery so a P.O. box or accommodation address is needed.
Delivery, even in a town, is not always a daily event.

sarrums Jun 16th 2016 5:44 am

Originally Posted by lyric050203 (Post 11974765)
The question to be asked is does the house have a delivery. Normally in Spain properties out of towns do not have a delivery so a P.O. box or accommodation address is needed.
Delivery, even in a town, is not always a daily event.

No it doesn't have a delivery. We have been told that it will cost thousands of euros to arrange that. So currently we are confused as to where the post is going and what we need to do

lyric030250 Jun 16th 2016 6:41 am

OK then, two choices.
1. A box at the post office, the details for this are on the Correos web site, it costs about 100€ pa. this will only accept normal mail and posted packages for one name (it costs more for a second name) and not anything couriered.
2. A box at an accommodation address. There are many on the mainland so I expect they will be on the Islands too. Cost is lower, mine is 60€ for multiple addressees and they accept packages and parcels from couriers too.

sarrums Jun 16th 2016 7:18 am

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate your help. What is an accommodation address and where can I find out some more info about these?

mikelincs Jun 16th 2016 7:24 am

Originally Posted by sarrums (Post 11975001)
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate your help. What is an accommodation address and where can I find out some more info about these?

Plenty of shops available, a lot are also stationary shops, 'Mail Boxes' is one that springs to mind, but there are plenty, just walk around the shopping areas, they are around.

lyric030250 Jun 16th 2016 7:29 am

Locally to me it is a popular sideline to an internet cafe, mine is in such an establishment.

mikelincs Jun 16th 2016 7:45 am

where I lived on the Costa Blanca most seemed to be owned by Dutch people, and one of the services they offered was posting to the UK, they would get the item, letters, cards etc, taken to the UK and posted there with a first class stamp, they sent them every day, was, at the time, a very reasonable price.

sarrums Jun 16th 2016 8:04 am

Thanks everyone this is really helpful. I will look into what is in the vicinity of their house. Seeing as they don't already have anything set up, does anyone have any idea of where their current post might be being delivered too, or how I can find out?

lyric030250 Jun 16th 2016 8:24 am

The great unknown, local post office or it might be in the return process, otherwise, like some mail, just lost.

sarrums Jun 16th 2016 8:42 am

Originally Posted by lyric050203 (Post 11975049)
The great unknown, local post office or it might be in the return process, otherwise, like some mail, just lost.

Haha ok, so maybe I will write off any hope of finding the previous post.

lyric030250 Jun 16th 2016 8:50 am

I think, but do not know, that the local Post Office should retain undelivered mail for a while before return to sender.
The rest of my comment refers to the fact that mail, known to have been sent in either direction can and does go missing.
I find that taking mail to the Post Office, ensuring the correct postage is paid, dramatically improves performance.
It is as well to remember that Correos is not the Royal Mail.

mikelincs Jun 16th 2016 9:34 am

Originally Posted by sarrums (Post 11975057)
Haha ok, so maybe I will write off any hope of finding the previous post.

You could try the local correos, however you will need passport of some form of ID before they will let you have it.

snikpoh Jun 16th 2016 10:18 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 11975096)
You could try the local correos, however you will need passport of some form of ID before they will let you have it.

... and remember that they only keep 'undelivered' mail for 14 days before it has to be returned to sender.