Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Getting an NIE at Spanish Consulate London

Getting an NIE at Spanish Consulate London

Old Oct 5th 2021, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

xande is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting an NIE at Spanish Consulate London

Please can anyone who has recently managed to get an NIE at the Spanish Consulate in London let me know (via PM if you prefer) what you said to get the appointment?

I asked for an appointment for me and my wife, she's an EU citizen (but I did't mention that, maybe I should have?), they asked for address and reason. I said to purchase a property. Told it's only valid for 3 months so they won't issue one unless I show proof of a deposit on a property, which I don't have.

So hoping there's another way to prove we need one, e.g. so we can open a bank account. I've read NIE certificates are not supposed to expire after 3 months any more, but if I've got someone at the consulate that thinks they should then I'm not sure how to navigate that!

Any help much appreciated.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

yevlondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting an NIE at Spanish Consulate London

sounds like they are trying to discourage people from getting NIEs in London.

got mine in the consulate in February 2020, said to purchase a property, no other documents were needed. The paper on which NIE was issued did not have a date on it so i do not know what they mean by "expires in 3 months". number itself is for life so cannot expire. since then i went to Spain and became a resident. Never had any problems with the certificate on which the number was issued, e.g. when getting my digital certificate or opening bank account. now i use my TIE card though as a "proof" of my NIE number.
Old Oct 6th 2021, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

The NIE number lasts a lifetime once issued bit like an NI number in the UK really. I got mine 15 years ago at the police station in Spain. On a sheet showing no time limit. However there was a period a few years ago where they did start issuing them with a 3 month time limit on the certificate not the number. As far as I am aware they stopped time limiting them a few years back? They may have re introduced that now we are a 3rd country status? Only way to know would be to ask why a 3 month limit on a number that lasts for life. Remember many people have written on forums etc re not being allowed back into Spain under covid rules with an NIE. Some have confused NIE with green Residencia and some may well have had an NIE and lived in Spain under the radar never complying with requirement to obtain Residencia.
Old Oct 7th 2021, 6:04 am
Just Joined

xande is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks both for your replies. I've sent them another email and hopefully they'll give me an appointment.