Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Getting a NIE number

Getting a NIE number

Old Mar 21st 2019, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting a NIE number

I have a buyer for a property who is a British national who has a business in UK so will want it as a holiday home just now.He has his funds already in place but needs the NIE number to proceed,given POA to an Abogado who applied very recently for this.Rumour says that Alicante has stopped all appointments being given.Is this about Brexit until the Spanish see what is to be ?The British Consulate have not yet responded to my enquiry.This could mean everyone who even wants to buy a car(& doesn't have a NIE) is held in limbo.Has anyone any news perhaps someone who has gone through the system recently.Can't believe that many property agents want to be in this situation for clients.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 7:38 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a NIE number

I know that there are problems getting an appointment to sign on the register of foreigners. That procedure may change with Brexit, but an NIE should not be affected as it has nothing to do with Brexit or the EU. However, it is issued by the same office and if they are backed up with requests from expats who couldn’t be bothered in the past to apply, that may well be the reason.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 8:00 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dougal03
I have a buyer for a property who is a British national who has a business in UK so will want it as a holiday home just now.He has his funds already in place but needs the NIE number to proceed,given POA to an Abogado who applied very recently for this.Rumour says that Alicante has stopped all appointments being given.Is this about Brexit until the Spanish see what is to be ?The British Consulate have not yet responded to my enquiry.This could mean everyone who even wants to buy a car(& doesn't have a NIE) is held in limbo.Has anyone any news perhaps someone who has gone through the system recently.Can't believe that many property agents want to be in this situation for clients.
Why doesn't he get his NIE from a consulate in the UK (London or Edinburgh)?
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

I think because he gave POA to an Abogado here as like most people not knowing the system he left it in their hands.To be honest,years ago when I got my NIE I wasn't aware it was available from a consulate either.I heard(another rumour perhaps) that it is now June for appointments to get going again.I don't mind waiting for a completion date,just wish to know the correct details.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

cermignano is an unknown quantity at this point

Could he apply through a consulate and take that particular task away from the POA?
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dougal03
I think because he gave POA to an Abogado here as like most people not knowing the system he left it in their hands.To be honest,years ago when I got my NIE I wasn't aware it was available from a consulate either.I heard(another rumour perhaps) that it is now June for appointments to get going again.I don't mind waiting for a completion date,just wish to know the correct details.
I got 3 NIE’s from the consulate and a POA FOR USE IN OUR PURCHASE IN 2004/5 very simple. All explained on the Embassy/Consulate website. What you get is an NIE white paper but the No stays with you for life. If you then become full timers like us you can obtain Residencia and later Residencia Perminente that has the same number but is green. Of course if Brexshit actually happens that changes to a TIE and more difficult to get. Don’t know if the No stays the same for that though.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 3:54 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn

I got 3 NIE’s from the consulate and a POA FOR USE IN OUR PURCHASE IN 2004/5 very simple. All explained on the Embassy/Consulate website. What you get is an NIE white paper but the No stays with you for life. If you then become full timers like us you can obtain Residencia and later Residencia Perminente that has the same number but is green. Of course if Brexshit actually happens that changes to a TIE and more difficult to get. Don’t know if the No stays the same for that though.
Hmmm. NOT residencia but hey, ho!

Once you have signed on the list of foreigners it is fairly straight forward to 'convert' it to a TIE. For those who've been registered for more than 5 years, the process is going to be VERY straight forward.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Hmmm. NOT residencia but hey, ho!

Once you have signed on the list of foreigners it is fairly straight forward to 'convert' it to a TIE. For those who've been registered for more than 5 years, the process is going to be VERY straight forward.
The difficulty I imagine is for 3rd country nationals such as we might become. I know that now we have the full set of docs PSOE have promised it will be very easy but will they still be there in May. If Vox? like DUP get influence who knows how immigrants will fare?
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Absolutely Esurijohn, not what happened years ago but we may become non-eu nationals.I can hardly remember getting mine some 30 odd years ago.Nothing is easy now as no one,least of all our Government,has a clue.The Consulate have just put me into a "holding for an answer" which is pretty much par for the course.