British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Getting NIE for kids? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/getting-nie-kids-941480/)

astera Nov 8th 2021 9:06 pm

Getting NIE for kids?

Is there any reason why someone should get a NIE for their kids?

I just downloaded a form for my teenage daughter to join the official gymnastics federation and in there it actually has a space to put her NIE. Just wondering how many other surprises I might come across along the way and whether I should just go ahead and get the NIE now so that I don't end up having to do it in a rush later down the road...

Where else can a NIE be useful for one's (teenage) children?

snikpoh Nov 9th 2021 6:42 am

Re: Getting NIE for kids?

Originally Posted by astera (Post 13069528)
Is there any reason why someone should get a NIE for their kids?

I just downloaded a form for my teenage daughter to join the official gymnastics federation and in there it actually has a space to put her NIE. Just wondering how many other surprises I might come across along the way and whether I should just go ahead and get the NIE now so that I don't end up having to do it in a rush later down the road...

Where else can a NIE be useful for one's (teenage) children?

I would say don't bother with an NIE but go straight for a TIE.

Do they have mobile phones in their own names, bank accounts, etc.

Why wouldn't you do it?

Chipmonk Nov 9th 2021 6:55 am

Kids need a NIE. The TIE is just a card not a number. Your NIE is an identification number. Without it various official forms can not be completed.

tebo53 Nov 9th 2021 9:24 am

I agree with snikpoh that you might as well go straight for a TIE which will automatically include an NIE.

Steve

snikpoh Nov 9th 2021 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Chipmonk (Post 13069629)
Kids need a NIE. The TIE is just a card not a number. Your NIE is an identification number. Without it various official forms can not be completed.

BUT, your TIE comes with an NIE - no way around this.

Get them TIE's

astera Nov 9th 2021 8:39 pm

Right now we're here temporarily till the end of 2021 but we're trying to give everything a try so not exactly sitting on our laurels but signing up for everything we would normally do if we decide to move here permanently early next year. This way we will get a true feel whether we want to move here on a long-term basis next year.

So if we decide to move then the TIE will definitely be on the cards in Jan or so, but in the meantime I would still like to do the NIE. Is this feasible for kids, any best (multiple) reasons to give in case we get a grumpy person asking questions who claims to know better than the gymnastics federation or our local language centre? What are the best reasons to verbally give to the "gatekeepers" to just accept the application and get this done?

Fred James Nov 9th 2021 8:51 pm

I think your biggest problem will be getting an online appointment to apply for anything!

astera Nov 9th 2021 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 13069905)
I think your biggest problem will be getting an online appointment to apply for anything!

Worst case scenario a few days' wait and then afterwards probably two days to pick up the NIE. At least that was the case when I applied recently. :)

DLC Nov 10th 2021 6:25 am

Spanish children need a DNI by their 14th birthday so yours should be carrying a TIE unless they're 13 or younger.

The advantage of having a DNI earlier is they don't need a passport to travel round the EU but if they're British then they'll have to travel on a British passport anyway and in that case it's best if they have a TIE.

But places will understand if you don't fill in the box for children under 14. Or you can say you're applying for a TIE and you'll let them know when you get the card.

Chipmonk Nov 10th 2021 6:48 am

Get a local gestor to arrange it. Certain places ( Alicante) are very busy and trying to get an appointment online is hit or miss. A local will have some connections and get appointment within a week.

breakfasttea Nov 10th 2021 7:13 am

My son is 2 and has a TIE (long before that had his own NIE).

snikpoh Nov 10th 2021 8:40 am

Originally Posted by astera (Post 13069898)
Right now we're here temporarily till the end of 2021 but we're trying to give everything a try so not exactly sitting on our laurels but signing up for everything we would normally do if we decide to move here permanently early next year. This way we will get a true feel whether we want to move here on a long-term basis next year.

So if we decide to move then the TIE will definitely be on the cards in Jan or so, but in the meantime I would still like to do the NIE. Is this feasible for kids, any best (multiple) reasons to give in case we get a grumpy person asking questions who claims to know better than the gymnastics federation or our local language centre? What are the best reasons to verbally give to the "gatekeepers" to just accept the application and get this done?

There is really no advantage for really young children to just get NIE's. However, IMHO, why not get them? They last for life.

astera Nov 12th 2021 9:30 am

Going to make an appointment for next week. Seems like the registration process has been improved too. No more getting in line in the early morning but instead you can book a precise time slot.

Since we're doing this for our kids, do they have to be present when submitting the application?

Also, do we just fill out the form in their name and sign or do we have to also complete section #2 of the form "DETAILS OF THE PERSON SUBMITTING THE APPLICATION" as a parent? Or is that only when you get a professional to do it for you (or someone with a Power of Attorney)?