Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Getting nervous - job interview tomorrow!

Getting nervous - job interview tomorrow!

Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

sunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to all
Default Getting nervous - job interview tomorrow!

Hi all,
Just spent the last 10 days getting my house ready - now on the market.
Because of that I've had no time to get nervous but suddenly its the night before my interview and I really want this job.
I've got to go to London in the morning for a job based in Malaga.
I went over to Spain for my last interview and they didn't even let me know I hadn't got the job - the swines!
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:19 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting nervous - job interview tomorrow!

Best of luck!
The only interview tip I can remember is, when you're asked if you'd like tea/coffee, reply telling them (without them having to ask) how you'd like it i.e. white/black/strong/2 sugars/no sugar etc. It apparently shows how decisive and organised etc you are. Probably won't help at all!
Oh and have some sensible questions prepared to ask them too, not about pay/holidays etc but about training/career advancement etc within the company.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:24 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sunnydee
Hi all,
Because of that I've had no time to get nervous but suddenly its the night before my interview and I really want this job.
I went over to Spain for my last interview and they didn't even let me know I hadn't got the job - the swines!

Hi sunnydee

Karma on it's way for interview, remember it's all in the breathing, control that and you will be fine. Breath in through the nose, take the breath slowly down into your lungs and the exhale gently through your mouth,; believe me it works, also eye contact, always eye contact and never answer a question until the person asking it has completely finished. I have interviewed dozen of people for jobs in the NHS and the interviewer can be just as nervous as the interviewee in many cases. Good luck, fingers and toes crossed for you

Can't give you kama just yet as I have given you some and I must spread it around a little before I can give again.

Last edited by crispy; Apr 12th 2007 at 9:26 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

sunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to all

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely try the breathing - I might have to do it to get myself to sleep tonight.
I passed my driving test on Friday the 13th so I'm hoping this is a good sign.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:45 pm

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely try the breathing - I might have to do it to get myself to sleep tonight.
I passed my driving test on Friday the 13th so I'm hoping this is a good sign.
SNAP I also passed mine on Friday 13th at 9am in the London rush hour - 3rd time luck for me through
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crispygirl
SNAP I also passed mine on Friday 13th at 9am in the London rush hour - 3rd time luck for me through
I can't remember what time I took mine (memories fading) but also in London -think it was around Palmers Green - but again not to sure because for me it was the 4th time.
The other half is dreading me getting into a car in Spain but I keep telling him its he who makes me nervous and I'm a fantastic driver really.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 10:09 pm

I can't remember what time I took mine (memories fading) but also in London -think it was around Palmers Green - but again not to sure because for me it was the 4th time.
The other half is dreading me getting into a car in Spain but I keep telling him its he who makes me nervous and I'm a fantastic driver really.

Mine was in the Blackheath/Lewisham area, it was dreadful I stooled the car going down Lewisham hill so I let the car coast down the hill and turned the engine on, hit the kerb reversing around corner but just thought S"d it I have failed again and slung it into first went back to beginning and tried again, got stuck in traffic and could not turn right off main road and then my neighbour who was a bus driver see me and stopped his bus to halt the traffic and waved me round the corner, bless him. When I leaving the test centre my instructor walked out on the crossing to stop the traffic that then allowed me to turn on to the main road This is how I drive confused: Not really I think I am pretty good but I have not tried here in Spain yet. All; through it is on my list of things to do in 2007
Old Apr 12th 2007, 11:08 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
Interview techniques:

1) Always take a deep breath before replying to a question - this gives you enough oxygen to finish what you are saying without becoming squeaky.
2) If you are given double prong questions answer the first part and if you have thoroughly understood what was asked follow up with the second part but if in doubt ask them to repeat the second part rather than blow it by mis-remembering.
3) If they have put a glass of water in front of you use it strategically for thinking time and of course to stop you drying up.
4) When they ask if you have any questions it may be prudent to ask what type of person they are looking for.
5) If it is a panel of interviewers make sure that you gain eye contact with the person who asked the question but also scan the other faces to show that you are including them all.
6) Do not be afraid to blow your own trumpet - most people are quite reticent regarding their skills.
7) They do not know you so you have to prove to them that you have the skills that they want so do not assume that your application form has said it all. Often the interviewers have not done the short listing so go into the interview presuming that you have to tell it all again.
8) If any training or past jobs that you have had is relevant put it into answers whenever possible. Such as 'I found x training invaluable when I' etc.
9) Thank them for giving you the opportunity.
10) GOOD LUCK

Not enough time before the interview to be of much use to you but I do wish you all the best and hope to be posting Congratulations soon.

Rosemary
Old Apr 13th 2007, 12:04 am
Livin' in Spain at last!

chrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Getting nervous - job interview tomorrow!

Originally Posted by crispygirl
Mine was in the Blackheath/Lewisham area, it was dreadful I stooled the car going down Lewisham hill so I let the car coast down the hill and turned the engine on, hit the kerb reversing around corner but just thought S"d it I have failed again and slung it into first went back to beginning and tried again, got stuck in traffic and could not turn right off main road and then my neighbour who was a bus driver see me and stopped his bus to halt the traffic and waved me round the corner, bless him. When I leaving the test centre my instructor walked out on the crossing to stop the traffic that then allowed me to turn on to the main road This is how I drive. Not really I think I am pretty good but I have not tried here in Spain yet. All; through it is on my list of things to do in 2007
Crispygirl, that's my old area Lewisham! Well Brockley and Crofton Park Ladywell, but Lewisham Odeon every Friday for the pictures, or the ABC at Catford! Passed my driving test in Sidcup I think (second time). My first test was great (appart from the examiner telling me to do a left down a no entry! Which did! (so picky!) WELL, I though he had special permission or something! ( I was very young and innocent/naive then!) Did everything else perfect, including EVERY single road sign and question on the highway code right! Still failed me!
What a bar steward! I was working in a petrol station at that time, and he came in for petrol a few days later. Took a minute before I recognised him. (why is it you have never got a sugar cube on you when you need one! He he!)
On my second test I wouldn't have passed me, did everything wrong (except no entry). Passed, couldn't believe it, thought he was havin' a laugh!

Anyway, I digress (not like me!) All the very best on your job interview Sunnydee, exude confidence, fear no one and the job will be yours! Good luck with the interview and the house sale!!
Old Apr 13th 2007, 12:10 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Sunnydee.

If the Interviewer makes you nervous, just remember that they too have to sit down on the toilet for number twos, just like everyone else.

Try not to burst out laughing though

G'luck
Old Apr 13th 2007, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all.
Just read last 2 messages as I was having an early night.
I felt a bit panicky on the way to the station this morning so I tried the breathing suggested - unfortunately it made me feel dizzy!
I felt fine on the train and all the way through the interview but as soon as it had finished I felt awful again.
Oh well, I can't change anything now so I will have to wait until next Thursday to see if I will be offered the job.
It was quite a bizarre interview and as I was the first person interviewed (one interviewer) I wonder if i might be forgotten by the time everyone has been interviewed.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 3:58 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all.
Just read last 2 messages as I was having an early night.
I felt a bit panicky on the way to the station this morning so I tried the breathing suggested - unfortunately it made me feel dizzy!
I felt fine on the train and all the way through the interview but as soon as it had finished I felt awful again.
Oh well, I can't change anything now so I will have to wait until next Thursday to see if I will be offered the job.
It was quite a bizarre interview and as I was the first person interviewed (one interviewer) I wonder if i might be forgotten by the time everyone has been interviewed.
Bizarre? In what way?

Rosemary
Old Apr 13th 2007, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

You did not say what type of job the interview was for....now spill the beans, why was it bizarre ?????

PS Nosey I know !
Old Apr 13th 2007, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Well I don't know if bizarre is the right word.
The interview was for a teaching job at an international school.
It was held in a London hotel and in the corner of the bar.
The headteacher/director was telling me some info. about the school when his wife appeared (they have been here on holiday) and he had to quickly check she was ok.
Half way through the interview they started playing piped music into the bar -very off-putting.
Lastly, he realised his battery for the lap top was going flat and started untangling the wires and looking for a plug socket whilst still talking to me.
Not the traditional type of interview
Anyway, I just hope he isn't a member of this forum because I definitely wouldn't get the job then would I?
Old Apr 13th 2007, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

IntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura aboutIntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura aboutIntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura about

Well I don't know if bizarre is the right word.
Don't sweat, that sounds quite normal.

I once interviewed someone whilst we were playing Squash

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.