Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Getting my Japanese wife in

Getting my Japanese wife in

Old Oct 22nd 2009, 10:01 am
Just Joined

soontobeingalicia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting my Japanese wife in

After a bit of advise if poss I am soon to be moving to Galicia with my wife and 2 sons, me and the boys hold British passports but my wife holds a Japanese passport and has a permanent residency visa / right to remain since 2005 (following our marriage). After visiting the local police station in my soon to be town starting the process for me and my boys was not a problem however the woman who I must say was not miss personality gave me the impression she was not clear on the process and told me we would have to get our marriage certificate translated into Spanish and provide proof that she had funds to support herself (and did not even look at her visa). I was under the impression as she is married to me she has the same rights as I do in the UK (aside from voting) and would not effectively have to start another visa application naively I had assumed we would show the authorities the UK visa / right to remain and that would then take effect in Spain. I have tried calling the Spanish embassy but as yet cannot get through to anyone who can help. Any assistance / point in the right direction would be much appriciated.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 11:25 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting my Japanese in

Originally Posted by soontobeingalicia
After a bit of advise if poss I am soon to be moving to Galicia with my wife and 2 sons, me and the boys hold British passports but my wife holds a Japanese passport and has a permanent residency visa / right to remain since 2005 (following our marriage). After visiting the local police station in my soon to be town starting the process for me and my boys was not a problem however the woman who I must say was not miss personality gave me the impression she was not clear on the process and told me we would have to get our marriage certificate translated into Spanish and provide proof that she had funds to support herself (and did not even look at her visa). I was under the impression as she is married to me she has the same rights as I do in the UK (aside from voting) and would not effectively have to start another visa application naively I had assumed we would show the authorities the UK visa / right to remain and that would then take effect in Spain. I have tried calling the Spanish embassy but as yet cannot get through to anyone who can help. Any assistance / point in the right direction would be much appriciated.
You may do better emailing the British Embassy in Spain. HERE
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

soontobeingalicia is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks called them and they have provided me with the UK visa hotline so will try that.

also thread title should read getting my Japanese Wife in but do not know how to edit submissions.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 1:42 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks called them and they have provided me with the UK visa hotline so will try that.

also thread title should read getting my Japanese Wife in but do not know how to edit submissions.
Click on one of the mods usernames and send them a PM and they will change it for you.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 7:07 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Poor you getting the woman in the local police station in Monforte. We had to get our cards renewed, now in to the paper A4 size things. We were attended to by a chap, maybe in his late 30’s. He even saved us some legwork when we bumped into him later in the day.

I too have heard that when you are married to a person outside the EU you have to get things translate. Maybe time to contact a gestoriar to help you?
Old Nov 5th 2009, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

c4cat is just really nicec4cat is just really nicec4cat is just really nicec4cat is just really nicec4cat is just really nicec4cat is just really nicec4cat is just really nicec4cat is just really nice

Hi I am also married to a Japanese national and gone through what you need to do.

Your wifes UK visa has no weight in spain but what she needs is an "EU treaty Rights Visa" this is for Non EU dependants of EU citizens, You have to prove you have means such as a Job to support yr wife or that she has a job offer once an "EU treaty Rights Visa" is issued and that your family has a place to live. For more detailed info google "EU treaty Rights Visa"