Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

getting married in galicia?

getting married in galicia?

Old Dec 28th 2007, 9:47 am
Just Joined

jono1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default getting married in galicia?

im english and i live here in santiago with my spanish girlfriend.we would like a small civil ceremony.im trying to find out what papers i need,where and how to apply for the wedding anything thats relevant.ive read here in other threads about residency times etc but with a lot of different answers!!does anyone know what step i need to take next?
thanks vey much
Old Dec 28th 2007, 10:00 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting married in galicia?

Originally Posted by jono1
im english and i live here in santiago with my spanish girlfriend.we would like a small civil ceremony.im trying to find out what papers i need,where and how to apply for the wedding anything thats relevant.ive read here in other threads about residency times etc but with a lot of different answers!!does anyone know what step i need to take next?
thanks vey much
You start by going to your local Court House.. I don't know how good your Spanish is but this link has all the info that you need if you can understand it:

http://www.publiboda.com/ceremonia_civil/index.html
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

ShaneInBilbao is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: getting married in galicia?

Hi, I am English and live in Bilbao. I got married to my Spanish wife in July. I had to get a "Certificate Of No Impediment" from the local registrar in the UK. You have to be living in the area of that registrar for I think 1 month or more and then you have nearly 1 month to wait before they issue the certificate and it costs around £40. Now I had a Catholic church wedding and was living in the UK briefly when I got the certificate in May this year. I am not too sure about your situation if it is civil and you are living here permanently? I also had to go to the British consulate in Bilbao and have them translate and stamp the C of no impediment. Cost about 20 Euros. Maybe for a civil it is different? Saying that, our friends who live in the UK, she Catalan and he Portuguese, they got married in Barcelona in May at a civil ceremony and I remember he had many visits to the Portuguese embassy in London over the space of about 1 year before he got the papers! Dont want to put a dampner on things but it can be complicated. Really, I would go see the nearest British consulate in Galicia. Hope thats of some help. buena suerte.

Last edited by ShaneInBilbao; Jan 3rd 2008 at 6:25 pm.