Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Getting kids into Spanish School

Getting kids into Spanish School

Old Jun 8th 2006, 10:03 am
Happy in Torrox

Shep43 will become famous soon enoughShep43 will become famous soon enough
Default Getting kids into Spanish School

Hi, hoping to move to Spain this summer to the Almeria region but I heard from some friends that they had trouble getting their young children into Spanish schools because they did not have residency in Spain at that time. Just wondering how true this is and if anyone has any advice about the right way to go about it. Thank in advance, Shep.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Getting kids into Spanish School

Originally Posted by Shep43
Hi, hoping to move to Spain this summer to the Almeria region but I heard from some friends that they had trouble getting their young children into Spanish schools because they did not have residency in Spain at that time. Just wondering how true this is and if anyone has any advice about the right way to go about it. Thank in advance, Shep.

Just moved to Spain...a week ago, kids are too young for school but seeing some nurseries next week....will ask if you need to be resident before getting them into schoold......if you don't get any replies in the meantime.....

Have been told they definitely need their medical cards before enrolling....we have their EU NHS cards.......like the E1 11 .....hope that helps.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 10:37 am
Happy in Torrox

Shep43 will become famous soon enoughShep43 will become famous soon enough

thanks for the reply, any info would be greatly appreciated and good luck in Spain. Shep.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future

I have known people to get their kids in local schools here without residency, without working and without speaking a word of spanish. The only thing they had here was their NIE number as they owned a house here and maybe their "Padron" another document.

The schools where I am are hard to get your children in because of the amount of people living here now, however, I do beleive that it is the Law that every child should have a place in a school regardless of nationality, wealth etc. So maybe you wont be able to get the most local school to you but you should be given an alternative.

I look forward to hearing how you get on as I have a little one in Spanish nursery at the moment and the years are going very quick!
Old Jun 8th 2006, 11:46 am
loving life in spain

chirivel is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Getting kids into Spanish School

Originally Posted by j0197
I have known people to get their kids in local schools here without residency, without working and without speaking a word of spanish. The only thing they had here was their NIE number as they owned a house here and maybe their "Padron" another document.

The schools where I am are hard to get your children in because of the amount of people living here now, however, I do beleive that it is the Law that every child should have a place in a school regardless of nationality, wealth etc. So maybe you wont be able to get the most local school to you but you should be given an alternative.

I look forward to hearing how you get on as I have a little one in Spanish nursery at the moment and the years are going very quick!
Hiya have four children in spanish schools you dont need aresidencia but you do need a padron which you pick up in your local town hall all you need to get one is a rental agreement or your escritura
Old Jun 8th 2006, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

Choombo is an unknown quantity at this point

If you don't own property, all you need are your passport numbers and rental agreement, go to the town hall and you can be registered where you live, but they won't do it unless they have proof that your landlord owns the property. They might only need a name, and if he/she is on their records that will be sufficient, but if not, they will need to see his/her escritura.

If your landlord won't play ball, you and your children can register on a friend's escritura as long as it's in the same area (schools don't care where you are registered, as long as you have the 'Volante de empadronamiento colectivo' (padron). Once in school, just give tell them you've moved if you want them to have your correct correspondence details.

Once you have that piece of paper, the authority must provide schooling for the named children by law.

Last edited by Choombo; Jun 8th 2006 at 8:18 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 9:17 pm
jennydor

jennydor will become famous soon enoughjennydor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Choombo
If you don't own property, all you need are your passport numbers and rental agreement, go to the town hall and you can be registered where you live, but they won't do it unless they have proof that your landlord owns the property. They might only need a name, and if he/she is on their records that will be sufficient, but if not, they will need to see his/her escritura.

If your landlord won't play ball, you and your children can register on a friend's escritura as long as it's in the same area (schools don't care where you are registered, as long as you have the 'Volante de empadronamiento colectivo' (padron). Once in school, just give tell them you've moved if you want them to have your correct correspondence details.

Once you have that piece of paper, the authority must provide schooling for the named children by law.
I enrolled my 2 children into a 2 different Spanish schools, took 2 passport photos, had medical records from the uk and my passport and rental agreement, wasnt on the padron, no NIE, not then registered with the local doctor either. Most of the Spanish schools are very accomodating, speak to the head of the school. they will be very helpful.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Shep,

Last week went to town hall with only my son's passport, then had to go back with the rental agreement.

Today, went to the school to check my son was registered...hey presto - easy as that !!

The Spanish are very accomodating, and this was down with the use of a Spanish phrase book and lots of sign language

Good luck mate

Mich x