Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Getting deposit back at end of the rent.

Getting deposit back at end of the rent.

Old Jun 3rd 2008, 9:49 am
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting deposit back at end of the rent.

Hi All,

A month ago I moved out of my apartment. I met up with the agents and we checked the place and all was good. Except the owners didnt bother turning up to this meeting. So I wasnt able to get my deposit back there and then. I gave (probably stupidly) the agents one set of keys back. I still have a set myself. And they said that the owners would come the week after.

They did, apparantly moaned about the place being dirty despite the fact it was spotless.

There was some outstanding utlility bills to come off the rent. So the owners said that they would send these details through to the agents who would let me know how much deposit I have to come back.

They havnt done this. I have spoke with the Agents and they have been trying to chase the owners up and they are just being incredibly tardy about the whole thing.

Its now been a month since I moved out and the tenancy agreement came to an end.
I need to throw some weight on this now. After all the bills (they didnt bother giving me any bills till about 10 months into the contract!) we're probably only looking at a couple of hundred euros to come back. But its the principle of it. Why did we even bother spending hours making the place spotless if they are going to be arseholes like this?

Any advice guys?

Cheers,
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 10:47 am

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Getting deposit back at end of the rent.

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
Hi All,

A month ago I moved out of my apartment. I met up with the agents and we checked the place and all was good. Except the owners didnt bother turning up to this meeting. So I wasnt able to get my deposit back there and then. I gave (probably stupidly) the agents one set of keys back. I still have a set myself. And they said that the owners would come the week after.

They did, apparantly moaned about the place being dirty despite the fact it was spotless.

There was some outstanding utlility bills to come off the rent. So the owners said that they would send these details through to the agents who would let me know how much deposit I have to come back.

They havnt done this. I have spoke with the Agents and they have been trying to chase the owners up and they are just being incredibly tardy about the whole thing.

Its now been a month since I moved out and the tenancy agreement came to an end.
I need to throw some weight on this now. After all the bills (they didnt bother giving me any bills till about 10 months into the contract!) we're probably only looking at a couple of hundred euros to come back. But its the principle of it. Why did we even bother spending hours making the place spotless if they are going to be arseholes like this?

Any advice guys?

Cheers,

Andrew I think you will find this is a very common problem, a good friend of mine had dreadful trouble getting his £600 deposit back, the owner said the carpet was dirty so he would keep the deposit to pay for the cleaning of it, my friend said that he would get it cleaned it cost him £70 but the owner still would not give the money back. He just would not answer his calls or
e-mails, not sure what my friend did but it was something about setting his PC to repeat send an e-mail to the landlord asking for the deposit. The landlord got the message in the end and paid up but it took months to get it back. Good luck
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 10:52 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crispy
Andrew I think you will find this is a very common problem, a good friend of mine had dreadful trouble getting his £600 deposit back, the owner said the carpet was dirty so he would keep the deposit to pay for the cleaning of it, my friend said that he would get it cleaned it cost him £70 but the owner still would not give the money back. He just would not answer his calls or
e-mails, not sure what my friend did but it was something about setting his PC to repeat send an e-mail to the landlord asking for the deposit. The landlord got the message in the end and paid up but it took months to get it back. Good luck
its an excellent way of hounding bad payers, and I have done the same myself.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 3:59 pm
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
its an excellent way of hounding bad payers, and I have done the same myself.
This is why I always stop paying the rent when I know I'm moving intime to say the deposit is your final months rent goodbye!

As I've had to happen so many times in all countries I've lived in and although in the vast majority of the cases the property is actually in better condition than when I moved in.

They get the hump but what can they do without costing them money?