Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Getting about round Catral

Getting about round Catral

Old Dec 13th 2006, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

cuiky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting about round Catral

I am buying a house in Catral near Alicante. I won't have a car and am finding it difficult to find out about buses and taxis in the area. From what I have found out so far there are only a couple of buses a day to a limited number of other towns and the taxis are run by non-English speakers. If anyone can give me more information about these two issues I would be grateful. I do know that there is quite a good train service nearby but the station is two or three miles away.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

5358tracey is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Getting about round Catral

I don't know anything about local transport but this is the web address for buses. Is Catral in the Alicante region because this website gives info for local Murcia, National and International buses. Hope it is useful. Tracey
http://www.estaciondeautobusesdemurcia.com/
Old Dec 13th 2006, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

PS. I know you don't have a car but if you decide to buy one a good place is Global Car Sales, they are really good (based in Torrivieja). They do have a website but I don't have it at the mo, you can do a search to find it. The good thing about buying a car from them is they do everything for you and the bonus is that if you go back to the Uk, you can have free airport parking for life - or as long as you have one of their cars anyway.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

cuiky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting about round Catral

Originally Posted by 5358tracey
PS. I know you don't have a car but if you decide to buy one a good place is Global Car Sales, they are really good (based in Torrivieja). They do have a website but I don't have it at the mo, you can do a search to find it. The good thing about buying a car from them is they do everything for you and the bonus is that if you go back to the Uk, you can have free airport parking for life - or as long as you have one of their cars anyway.
ThanksTracey. Catral is in Alicante so the link wasn't much use. However, the information about car sales was very useful. Looks like second hand cars are quite expensive in Spain!
Old Dec 13th 2006, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

Looks like second hand cars are quite expensive in Spain![/QUOTE]

Hi, yes unfortunately they are, we haven't found a way around this, except that if you take a car from uk you can re-register it for about 500euros onto spanish plates. Sometimes this may work out cheaper than the price of a spanish car. Taking a car from Plymouth to Santander next week is about £165 + two fill ups on petrol + re-register - you have to work out which is the best option for you. Hope this helps.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 7:48 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, yes unfortunately they are, we haven't found a way around this, except that if you take a car from uk you can re-register it for about 500euros onto spanish plates. Sometimes this may work out cheaper than the price of a spanish car. Taking a car from Plymouth to Santander next week is about £165 + two fill ups on petrol + re-register - you have to work out which is the best option for you. Hope this helps.
plus headlight change, all fitted extras IE towbars etc removed for ITV, disadvantage of RHD etc.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs down Re: Getting about round Catral

Originally Posted by jdr
plus headlight change, all fitted extras IE towbars etc removed for ITV, disadvantage of RHD etc.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, forgot about that also! Really have no idea why spanish second hand cars are so expensive though. But did think that overall Global did seem quite reasonable in the scheme of things especially because they sort everything out - what price can you put on the hassle factor?
Old Dec 13th 2006, 7:57 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

plus headlight change, all fitted extras IE towbars etc removed for ITV, disadvantage of RHD etc.
Oh yeah, forgot about that also! Really have no idea why spanish second hand cars are so expensive though. But did think that overall Global did seem quite reasonable in the scheme of things especially because they sort everything out - what price can you put on the hassle factor?[/QUOTE]

I dont think cars deteriorate (apart from the dents) as much as they do in the UK, so hold a higher price.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 7:59 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Oh yeah, forgot about that also! Really have no idea why spanish second hand cars are so expensive though. But did think that overall Global did seem quite reasonable in the scheme of things especially because they sort everything out - what price can you put on the hassle factor?

I dont think cars deteriorate (apart from the dents) as much as they do in the UK, so hold a higher price.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

I dont think cars deteriorate (apart from the dents) as much as they do in the UK, so hold a higher price.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that would make sense, not so much rain and rust I suppose. Have noticed that an awful lot of spanish cars have dents and scrapes though.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 8:04 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Watch out for Global, they are a very big rental group, so any second hand one is likely to be ex rental, and, their managing director is only 14 years old, seems a bit odd until you realise that if you want to sue a firm for any problems you have to sue the managing director, and you cant sue anyone under the age of 18 (this is the info I was given by an ex police friend when I was looking for a car). He advised me against using them for those reasons.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Lis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to all

I also don´t think there´s as much snob value to having a brand new car here, which means there are fewer available for sale. It´s only the recent car number plates that reveal how old your car is, unlike UK where the letters have always screamed out that you can´t afford a new car. In UK, many people automatically change their car every two or three years; here that´s very unusual. You don´t see new cars advertised as much as enticements either.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 12:26 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

After driving in Spain for a while everyone will be glad not to have a new car
Old Dec 14th 2006, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Cool Re: Getting about round Catral

Wow, didn't know any of this. Am only going by friend that has successfully bought a car with them and is very happy with everything. Only other thought is that the 14year old MD won't be 14 forever?
Old Dec 14th 2006, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

Talking Re: Getting about round Catral

Originally Posted by jdr
After driving in Spain for a while everyone will be glad not to have a new car
Yep, I know where you are coming from on this one - can only agree!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.