British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   General news (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/general-news-914617/)

Jon-Bxl Jul 5th 2018 6:09 am

General news

Hi

I thought I'd start a thread for general news - chat.

For example this week we have seen the fish farm by the golf course / bridge had its aerating system on again. They are also bulldozing one of the areas, as well for some reason.

Of course its not the Marina, but I wonder if they will remake the fish farm now that the marina seems to be a twinkle in the eye of some ex mayor.

Anybody know what's happening, please?

Jon

elaleman Jul 6th 2018 10:47 am

Re: General news

The fish farm has a new owner - also a new name .
They start production some weeks ago and now step by step prepare the plot for more production.

Jon-Bxl Jul 7th 2018 8:21 am

Thanks for the update.

I think it comes as no surprise to anyone that the Marina project is shelved.

Jon

shirley and anthony hide Jul 7th 2018 11:45 am

Well well well !
The corner house on our Manzana 6 on Lomas has been empty since it was built.The only one on the Manzana to remain so. Owned by the dead hand of Fedesa.
Today there is a Spanish family in there measuring up !
Dont give up on the Marina yet Jon !
Nor the water park, or the shopping centre, or the hotel !

I'm moving into the shade ,think I've had too much sun......

bitmanev Jul 7th 2018 8:11 pm

all good things comes with time my late grandma told me...

Jon-Bxl Jul 8th 2018 6:14 am

Originally Posted by shirley and anthony hide (Post 12528788)
Well well well !
The corner house on our Manzana 6 on Lomas has been empty since it was built.The only one on the Manzana to remain so. Owned by the dead hand of Fedesa.
Today there is a Spanish family in there measuring up !
Dont give up on the Marina yet Jon !
Nor the water park, or the shopping centre, or the hotel !

I'm moving into the shade ,think I've had too much sun......

You are allowed some euphoria after THAT result.... and.... Bitmanev your grandma might be right.... Weve been waiting since 66!!

Jon

Jon-Bxl Jul 11th 2018 8:04 am

The plazita Leon Ortega (our favourite) will be having some renovations next year to become a 'plaza'. The road running in front of the CORSARIO resto/tapas bar will be blocked for traffic. As will the part between the restos/shops and the plazita and statue. This is the mayors plan. So an L-shaped closure making it more pedestrian-only and kid friendly/safe.

The Corsario has been recommended on the resto thread, it has recently been taken over by a very friendly French/Portuguese guy Jose. We were worried when we heard that it was changing owners - but luckily Jose wants to keep the same formula and the same staff (mainly). He has other businesses and will have a manager running it and he will check in every 2-3 weeks or so after the school holidays where his kids are currently in their place in PT. They return to their French home after the holidays. He will then slowly make some internal redecoration.

A great buzz here and in the plaza in general.

Jon

PS next door is a ate night grocery shop with excellent fruit + veg, spices, eggs etc.... was still open at midnight ....

Jon-Bxl Jul 12th 2018 8:36 am

I am a big fan of Pringles salt n vinegar crisps. But until recently I couldn't find them here.

Corvo in CMarim has them and a great selection of pringles as well....

Also opposite Corvo is a 'museum' casa do sal, with a free exhibition of the lifestyles of the various the Algarve residents with a little history of the Algarve and its residents.

Worth a wander around IMO
Jon

Jon-Bxl Jul 13th 2018 6:57 am

The bridge work continues with one lane closed in each direction.

The marketing people are out again and the police will randomly stop you for their survey. I usually ask if they speak French and normally they just move me on!

Yesterday she spoke French. Very polite and it takes a few minutes. Including silly questions like 'how much do you pay for fuel'. Note this all could cause delays so for an airport run tomorrow I will leave a bit earlier. Note tomorrow is also the monthly HUGE Castro Marim market. (2nd Saturday of every month) Interesting place to visit, shop eat and drink but could also create a backlog.

The bridge is being covered in scaffolding - impressive! But perhaps these are more scary http://tops.easyviajar.com/puentes/3/

Jon