Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

GBP deposit in Spanish bank anyone?

GBP deposit in Spanish bank anyone?

Old Feb 3rd 2013, 9:51 am
Just Joined

mrshyt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GBP deposit in Spanish bank anyone?

I live permanently in Spain and have a local Spanish account with Barclays. I have a GBP account with them here and they currently offer a 'deposito' for GBP at 1.75%.

Does anyone know of any other banks offering something more interesting? I am looking specifically to keep my money in GBP rathering than converting to Euros.

Thanks
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 10:01 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GBP deposit in Spanish bank anyone?

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Sabadell offered me:
24 MONTHS - 2,25% APR
12 MONTS - 1,75% TAE

Lloyds Bank Int:
For sterling GBP we have the following deposit account offers: from 6000 gbp
12 months: 2.25% APR
11 months: 2.50% APR (Special offer)
200 day: 2.25 % APR (Special offer)
100 day: 1.75% APR

Which after taxation on the interest is below inflation.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrshyt
I live permanently in Spain and have a local Spanish account with Barclays. I have a GBP account with them here and they currently offer a 'deposito' for GBP at 1.75%.

Does anyone know of any other banks offering something more interesting? I am looking specifically to keep my money in GBP rathering than converting to Euros.

Thanks
I have had money invested in fixed rate bonds (in Sterling) with the Leeds Building Society in Gibraltar for the last 4 years, for a variety of durations from 1 year to 3 years. Some of them permit a withdrawal of up to 25% of the amount invested before the maturity of the bond. However, even they are only paying 1.95% at the moment, compared to 5% when I opened the first one 4 years ago. Opening an account with them as a Spanish resident is no problem, you just need to supply your passport and documents to verify your address such as two utility bills in your name.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:36 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
Sabadell offered me:
24 MONTHS - 2,25% APR
12 MONTS - 1,75% TAE

Lloyds Bank Int:
For sterling GBP we have the following deposit account offers: from 6000 gbp
12 months: 2.25% APR
11 months: 2.50% APR (Special offer)
200 day: 2.25 % APR (Special offer)
100 day: 1.75% APR

Which after taxation on the interest is below inflation.
Sabadell are currently ONLY offering 0.35% on deposits over 12k!
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

We have just opened an account with Sabadell in Javea. Their monthly fees look high? Would have gone to Deutsche bank but they obviously do not want new customers for it has taken two weeks so far and nothing.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I think they offer pensioners free accounts - but I complained about the costs and got free banking for a year. So my advice is 'push`them and same with all banks.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 12:22 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Their "Expansion" account is open to anyone and is free if you meet their requirements - take a look at their web site.

I am not a pensioner yet get free banking.

They also give money back on utilities paid by direct debit.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes I think for that one they require a monthly deposit - but is another 'free' option.