Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

GB Pound v. Euro Exchange rates

GB Pound v. Euro Exchange rates

Old Oct 29th 2008, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

OCMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GB Pound v. Euro Exchange rates

I see today that the GBP/Euro rate is 1.258 - 79.5 p I have been a houseowner in Spain (Alicante) now since 1999 and have seen the GB Pound steadily decline in value against the Euro.

Anyone out there ever see it gaining in value again ?
Old Oct 29th 2008, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GB Pound v. Euro Exchange rates

No is the short answer.

And unfortunately it could get substantially worse fast. This moronic Government is proposing to remedy the problems caused by indulging in a debt fuelled binge for 10 years by.......

borrowing more

(and slashing interest rates so that the cost to the Exchequer will be reduced by lower interest rates. Just imagine what that will do to the pound!).

If anyone could enlighten me as to how continuing the self same idiocies that got us into the mess is any kind of solution, they deserve the Nobel prize - but whether that is for Economics or Fiction I leave to you.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 2:08 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
If anyone could enlighten me as to how continuing the self same idiocies that got us into the mess is any kind of solution, they deserve the Nobel prize - but whether that is for Economics or Fiction I leave to you.
It's not a new idea - it is classic Keynesian economic theory which has been used in similar situations before. It was "invented" in 1936.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keynesian_economics

Whether it is going to work this time is anyone's guess!
Old Oct 29th 2008, 2:12 pm
Here or There - Who Knows

debandsie is just really nicedebandsie is just really nicedebandsie is just really nicedebandsie is just really nicedebandsie is just really nicedebandsie is just really nicedebandsie is just really nicedebandsie is just really nice

unfortunately i think that eventually the pound will have the same value as the euro, and when that happens no doubt the uk will adopt the euro.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Keynes advocated spending on public works. I am not sure he would have advocated employing thousands of neighbourhood outreach officers as a useful way of creating employment
Old Oct 29th 2008, 2:54 pm
Banned

rationalfreeman is an unknown quantity at this point

although the gbp/eur rate is low at the moment speculation suggests the rate will hit the 1.3 mark in the near future. it was trading at the 1.23 at the beginning of the week and has now strengthened to almost 1.26 today. not a bad gain in 48 hours.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Sarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant future

Like the post above, my guess is that eventually we will join the Euro zone becuause of the slow slide in value of the pound...
Old Oct 29th 2008, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
This moronic Government is proposing to remedy the problems caused by indulging in a debt fuelled binge for 10 years by.......
borrowing more
But this is what the likes of Ocean Finance have been telling us all to do
for years Does this mean that the insanity of managing your debts by
borrowing more money is gradually getting through? Hopefully the lesson won't
be forgotten
Old Oct 29th 2008, 5:42 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Check it out below. Note the big dips when Brown or The Gov Bank of England open their mouths.

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/f.../one_month.stm
Old Oct 29th 2008, 6:28 pm
lic
Forum Regular

lic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nice

IMHO the U.K. will not join the Eurozone. There was a time when I thought it would be good for us, but only when the £-E rate was good.
If we were to join on a £1 to 1E rate that would mean disaster for the UK. (for that you can read Politicians and Bankers)
How much money do you think the money people would lose by not having exchange rates. The banks have lost more than enough money already!
Every country that has joined the eurozone has had an initial period high inflation, which good old Gordy is against.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Closing price as shown on sky news is 1.2721, so yes it is rising again, thank God, we have to pay our mortgage in euros on friday
Old Oct 29th 2008, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lic
IMHO the U.K. will not join the Eurozone. There was a time when I thought it would be good for us, but only when the £-E rate was good.
If we were to join on a £1 to 1E rate that would mean disaster for the UK. (for that you can read Politicians and Bankers)
How much money do you think the money people would lose by not having exchange rates. The banks have lost more than enough money already!
Every country that has joined the eurozone has had an initial period high inflation, which good old Gordy is against.

Good old Gordy Loves inflation. All debtors do!! Then they can sucker us into losing money financing their debts
Old Oct 29th 2008, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OCMan
I see today that the GBP/Euro rate is 1.258 - 79.5 p I have been a houseowner in Spain (Alicante) now since 1999 and have seen the GB Pound steadily decline in value against the Euro.

Anyone out there ever see it gaining in value again ?
Who knows last week up 1.29 yesterday 1.23 today back to 1.27 I wonder if Gordo and the Bank of England to be hosnest are not making these rash (or not so rash) statements in order to force the pound down in particular agains the dollar. not great with a euro mortgage especially as when my direct debit for transfer goes to be exchanged to euros it allways seems to take a nosedive.
I think you would be a wealthy person if you could predict what it will be in 12 months
Bob
Old Oct 29th 2008, 7:10 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

As the pound goes down you'll see more British companies bought out by foreign companies - we've seen Santander flex its financial muscle, and the French power industry is very active in the UK aquisition market. Today BMI announced it was being bought out by Lufthansa. Is this a good or a bad thing?
Old Oct 29th 2008, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
As the pound goes down you'll see more British companies bought out by foreign companies - we've seen Santander flex its financial muscle, and the French power industry is very active in the UK aquisition market. Today BMI announced it was being bought out by Lufthansa. Is this a good or a bad thing?

Oh the irony, when we clung on to sterling to protect our sovereignty!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.