Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Gardening in the Pinoso area

Gardening in the Pinoso area

Old Dec 10th 2013, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

MrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud of
Default Gardening in the Pinoso area

Hi folks

I am being given differing opinions about whether or not it is possible to grow citrus fruits in the Pinoso area. I'd be really disappointed if I couldn't have fresh oranges, lemons and limes. Can anyone give me a difinitive answer?

Thanks
Old Dec 10th 2013, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

JB80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Gardening in the Pinoso area

Unless there is any specific soil problem then I can't see why not. You may have to protect them from sub zero temps though.
They thrive not even an hour away at our place.

Last edited by JB80; Dec 10th 2013 at 4:56 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Its not generally done and not because of the soil conditions. It is the altitude. Unlike a lot of Spain where they grow profusely, this area is high so gets very cold in the winter and more than the cold, the winds are bitter. The area is 500-600 mtrs above sea level, yet just drop over the mountain onto the Albatera or the Fortuna roads and they are prolific because they are 400 mtrs lower down.

They can be grown but need shelter, you will see them growing in walled gardens, if yours is an open aspect I would think wrapping them in garden fleece for late december/january/february will help to insulate them from the cold.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

MrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud of

Hi folks, thanks for your pointers. I have to say that you're worrying me a bit - we're hoping to encounter some winter sun, but you're telling me we should prepare for sub zero temperatures and bitter winds. Sounds like Scotland. How cold does it get and for how long?

We've been tracking the weather over the past year and the lowest it seems to have been is 2 or 3 degrees and then only for a couple of exceptionally cold days - was last year unseasonably warm with you?
Old Dec 12th 2013, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsMac59
Hi folks, thanks for your pointers. I have to say that you're worrying me a bit - we're hoping to encounter some winter sun, but you're telling me we should prepare for sub zero temperatures and bitter winds. Sounds like Scotland. How cold does it get and for how long?

We've been tracking the weather over the past year and the lowest it seems to have been is 2 or 3 degrees and then only for a couple of exceptionally cold days - was last year unseasonably warm with you?
I moved up to nr Pinoso just three weeks ago from nr Orihuela... and I can tell you, it has been a shock... It's freezing up here but I'm just beginning to get acclimatized...
Old Dec 12th 2013, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for late reply.

The area can get cold- we came back last week temps were lovely but changeable day to day. One day it can be blowing a gale any bit as bad as the UK, next day sunshine and warm, don't forget it is winter! We have been there when it has had snow on the ground, likewise a day or two later you would think it was summer. Two days last week we had to scrape the ice from the windscreen of the car but after 10 am it had gone anyway. It was cold enough to have puddles of water on the carparks of Pinoso to be iced over! Yet it does not last long. January and February are deffo the coldest just like it is in the UK.

Not to put you off, I've enclosed a couple of pics from last December, this is about as bad as it gets, maybe the odd day where you get a lot of snow in Jan or Feb but it doesn't hang around like in the UK, it is soon gone. The wind is the worst thing, very blowy and a big wind chill factor if you are out in it. But like I say it doesn't last long and the 9 months of glorious weather is worth the sacrifice of a few days of bad.
Attached Thumbnails Gardening in the Pinoso area-december-030.jpg   Gardening in the Pinoso area-december-032.jpg   Gardening in the Pinoso area-december-031.jpg   Gardening in the Pinoso area-december-033.jpg  
Old Dec 12th 2013, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dorishaslop
I moved up to nr Pinoso just three weeks ago from nr Orihuela... and I can tell you, it has been a shock... It's freezing up here but I'm just beginning to get acclimatized...
So you finally fot moved, did you get the log burner sorted?
Old Dec 12th 2013, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
Its not generally done and not because of the soil conditions. It is the altitude. Unlike a lot of Spain where they grow profusely, this area is high so gets very cold in the winter and more than the cold, the winds are bitter. The area is 500-600 mtrs above sea level, yet just drop over the mountain onto the Albatera or the Fortuna roads and they are prolific because they are 400 mtrs lower down.

They can be grown but need shelter, you will see them growing in walled gardens, if yours is an open aspect I would think wrapping them in garden fleece for late december/january/february will help to insulate them from the cold.
Normally, where there is more snow is in the interior of the country. But also it must be said that Spain is the second most mountainous country after Switzerland, so it's normal the snowfalls in the higher elevations. For example, one of the highest areas of Murcia is Caravaca and entire its area, and there is snow every winter. In my town snowfall is rare, although it is cold. However, I can see that the peaks of the distant mountains are covered with snow

If can get to snow in the lower elevations, snowfalls are normal in the highlands

Last edited by Relampago; Dec 12th 2013 at 10:55 am.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

flotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond repute

I live 45 minutes away we have regular frost and have been as low as minus1, but on the whole it warms up quickly during the day but drops very quickly at night. I have citrus trees in an area where not many people grow them. we went to a local garden center and said where we lived and were advised which were the best variety for our part of the valley. However I have found them very slow to grow and easily damaged by the frost. However I have kept going and after 4 years I finally had my first home grown mandarin. Our neighbor thinks many of the things I grow are wrong and in the wrong season but admits now (after 3 years of inspecting my gardens) that he has only ever done what his dad did and that I on the whole have more success than he does. I just experiment every year and learn from my mistakes and gradually we are becoming self sufficient, I find that it is the very hot weather inland in the summers that damages most of my crops. make sure you have irrigation water easily accessible if you want to seriously garden.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
So you finally fot moved, did you get the log burner sorted?
It's an open fire and it's huge... it can take about 11 or 12 logs at a time... so it's going to be costly over the winter.. The house seems a bit warmer now, I wondered if it's because it was empty for a while..

I would like to get a wood burner if I decide to stay for a long while. might be more economic..

Looking forward to seeing on snow on the mountains though.. that'll be nice

x