Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Galicia or Cadiz area

Galicia or Cadiz area

Old May 11th 2008, 4:43 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Galicia or Cadiz area

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
You've changed you know.
Like the weather
Old May 11th 2008, 4:45 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Like the weather
all blowy hotty coldy.
Old May 11th 2008, 4:53 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Dont turn my Galicia thread into another weather thread
and about the UK too. Is there not a section about the UK(e) somewhere?
Old May 11th 2008, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute

ooohh.... sorry can I just say though... that it absolutely poured down here after the thunder. I will be in Galicia in August... so there is the tiniest connection here...
Old May 11th 2008, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

gudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the rough

Well... Interesting thread. I'm not surprised to see some Galicians posting here since we are a bohemian bunch (I'm a galego, too). I'll leave my opinion, but be warned... I don't plan to offend anybody but I´ll be straightforward...

Not everything in Galicia is "beautiful", you'll be able to find the beauty but often hidden behind an extraordinary amount of tastelessness and ugliness. Some people refer to part of our "architecture style" as "feísmo", which includes all those typical cement brick walls you´ll find everywhere or those houses left unfinished forever with uncovered bricks.

For example, if you take the road by the sea from Pontevedra (nice downtown but too close to a paper factory) to O Grove you´ll have troubles seeing the sea because is hidden behind a "brick wall" made by all those ugly buildings - mostly empty - the crazy building speculation left behind during all these years. To see examples of ugly places visit Vigo, Monforte or Ourense. You´ll find some nice areas too but hidden behind blocks and blocks of very ugly buildings put anywhere without any planning whatsoever. That said I´ll have to add that downtown A Coruña and Santiago are nice, despite the uninspiring new neighborhoods built in both towns during the last 40 years.

The North is nicer than the South in general, because the North is not rocky although the South enjoys a nicer weather and it's really a lovely area for sailing (you can't build on the sea... well at least not yet).

We Galegos are an interesting bunch with an extraordinary imagination which of course can be good and bad. For example many Galicians will insist they are Celts, although recent genetic analysis have proved that there is little Celtic blood in the Iberian peninsula, but then again... the same goes for the British Islands...

http://www.scs.uiuc.edu/~mcdonald/Wo...groupsMaps.pdf (page 2)

If you move to Galicia, find a nice place, build something nice, restore an old house, be ready to be very patient with the locals and most of all don't forget to get along with the local "mafioso" or as we locals say "cacique", typically the mayor.

Saludos and please don´t shoot the messenger.

Last edited by gudes; May 11th 2008 at 9:14 pm.
Old May 13th 2008, 9:44 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gudes

Not everything in Galicia is "beautiful", you'll be able to find the beauty but often hidden behind an extraordinary amount of tastelessness and ugliness. Some people refer to part of our "architecture style" as "feísmo", which includes all those typical cement brick walls you´ll find everywhere or those houses left unfinished forever with uncovered bricks.......
Like this maybe? (photos at the top of the page)
http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/fotos/2...34753D46F3.htm
should add that there are some wonderful spots in Galicia too. These far outweigh the feìsmos!
http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/fotos/2...09EA4B2DCE.htm

Last edited by Casa Santo Estevo; May 13th 2008 at 9:56 pm. Reason: second link added.
Old May 13th 2008, 10:59 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Took us 12 hours to drive from Gandia to Santiago. Its amazing how quickly the countryside changes when you are only 100 kms or so inland, so much greener.

We stayed the week in Santiago centre. Its very noisy, and if you choose to do that if you visit you have to be prepared for singing in the streets at 4 in the morning.

The Cathedral and square are amazing, and the 68 km per hour swinging incense burners are something to see, although I'm amazed no one has ever been killed. Santiago though has somehow sold out to tourism which I guess was inevitable. There are more bars & restaurants there in such a small area than I have seen anywhere else in Spain. Its a University City, so the atmosphere is quite nice at night in the squares with students milling around and the odd busker (one with bagpipes).

The pilgrimage there can take anything from 2 to 5 weeks depending on whether you're on bike or foot ... theres a lot of hikers wandering around.

We also visited Lugo which was my favourite. Not quite so touristy, and a very pretty place. Its a couple of hours drive from Santiago to the East through lovely countryside.

Pontevedre was where we had our best meal, €8 for three courses inc wine and water and it was wonderful. The town itself again is quite pretty when you get down into the old town.

Noia is over on the West coast right on the sea and again a lovely place to visit.

Impression I got was that you could have been driving through the Scottish lowlands at times, or Wales. The landscape is very green, with ferns and heather, forests and rolling countryside.

And the burning question .... the weather! Well, for four or five days we had intermittent sunshine and only a few showers, but the last few days got quite wet but didn't spoil our enjoyment.

Heres a few pics, although I did take over 100 in total!

Market lady at Santiago market

Inside of the church next door to our apartment (the bells .... the bells!!)

The Cathedral

The streets of Santiago

Boats near Pontevedre

Church in Pontevedre

Noia Estuary

Lugo Centre

Streets of Lugo
Old May 14th 2008, 10:06 am

Glad you enjoyed Galicia, we totally agree with your sentiments about SdC and Lugo. The latter is our favourite city too. We are not religious, but for us the cathedral seems to be used in a more genuine way and therefore has a much better atmosphere around it. The Plaza Mayor in Lugo seems to live too, other cities we have found sort of die at lunchtime Lugo does not.
Next time you come up you have to see some more of the inland like the attached photo, which is on our web site too.

Cañons do Sil

The view towards our village Rio Miño

The city wall of Lugo

Regarding your comment about the noise in SdC. We now understand a bit more why we get guests staying with us, we are only an hour away. It must be so peaceful here in the campo.
Old May 14th 2008, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

gudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the rough

"Casa...", thanks for the pics and the links. You live in a nice area.

One of the things worth visiting in Galicia are all those monasteries. When you think you know them all... you discover a new one.

Saludos!
Old May 14th 2008, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by gudes
"Casa...", thanks for the pics and the links. You live in a nice area.

One of the things worth visiting in Galicia are all those monasteries. When you think you know them all... you discover a new one.

Saludos!

yes we did that just yesterday.. we found Trandieras
Old May 14th 2008, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
yes we did that just yesterday.. we found Trandieras
Yes, I know Trandeiras. Lovely view of what used to be a lake. Long story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTQm1l4_xwI

To the South of those hills, in Sarreaus, there is a village that has been totally restored, Couso. It's worth visiting.

http://www.laopinioncoruna.es/estati...4/domingo.html