Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Galicia or Cadiz area

Galicia or Cadiz area

Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

marisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Galicia or Cadiz area

Originally Posted by DebsyW
Marisol, my dad is from La Coruna. He was born and lived in Monelos, the bus station is now at the end of the street. I remember it being built. I havent been back for 6 years but we are going in August to see family. My parents go every year for a month.
I was born in Ferrol but it's been such a long time since i went there. When i was a girl, i used to go to Cambados to spend three months a year. The last time i went to Galicia was 6 years ago, also.
So, that is why you knew the meaning of "morriña", isn't it?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

marisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G586
hiraeth in Welsh, same sort of thing....a longing for home
So, the languages can be different but the feelings are the same
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:20 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know Monfero?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Anyone know Monfero?
http://maps.google.es/maps?q=Monfero...i=map&ct=title

http://www.entrepueblos.com/municipio-monfero/

http://www.fotografiasdegalicia.com/...0_001.jpg.html

When i was a girl, i used to go with my parents to the beach of Puentedeume, it is very close to Monfero.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:38 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marisol
http://maps.google.es/maps?q=Monfero...i=map&ct=title

http://www.entrepueblos.com/municipio-monfero/

http://www.fotografiasdegalicia.com/...0_001.jpg.html

When i was a girl, i used to go with my parents to the beach of Puentedeume, it is very close to Monfero.

Ah OK ..... we have the offer of some accomodation up there in an old farmhouse
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Ah OK ..... we have the offer of some accomodation up there in an old farmhouse
The houses there are usually great, you will enjoy it. Do you know the name of the farmhouse?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute

I was born in Ferrol but it's been such a long time since i went there. When i was a girl, i used to go to Cambados to spend three months a year. The last time i went to Galicia was 6 years ago, also.
So, that is why you knew the meaning of "morriña", isn't it?
Im very rusty with my spanish at the moment as I dont speak it at home and its a long time since Ive been to Spain. Most of my family are from the main city but I have relatives in Betazos also. Wasnt Franco from Ferrol? I saw him once in Sada. They used to line the streets with civil guards and close the whole of the beach off for his daughter to use.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:51 pm
Senior Moment

The houses there are usually great, you will enjoy it. Do you know the name of the farmhouse?
Casa Lourin, its called
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Olmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to all

Wasnt Franco from Ferrol? I saw him once in Sada. They used to line the streets with civil guards and close the whole of the beach off for his daughter to use.
Indeed Franco was from Ferrol, the town used to be called "El Ferrol del Caudillo". Fidel Castro's father was from Galicia, too. So 1-1.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Olmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to all

Mitziboy, if you go to Monfero, t to go to have lunch in Betanzos. Really close. Another beautiful old town. There is a restaurant called "Las Casillas", they do the best spanish tortilla in the world. I kid you not. They are well known in all Galicia for that. It is a must, so liquid that is served with spoon.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olmos
Indeed Franco was from Ferrol, the town used to be called "El Ferrol del Caudillo". Fidel Castro's father was from Galicia, too. So 1-1.
Was he? I may have been told but I have forgotten. I will ask my dad.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:11 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry have not been on line much tonight, had fit a new kitchen tap and one of our cats gave birth too.

We have to admit we have not heard of Monfero until now., so that done us searching the net. Here is a video of the Monastery at Monfero.

The guy that shot this video it has done a lot on various places in Galicia. Including our little village!
Are you going to the party in Monfero?

Mitzy, you have spelt the name of the Casa incorrectly it is Casa Lourán- it took us ages to find it. Look at this in Toprural it seems to be a quite a find. http://www.toprural.com/ficha/es.cfm...306.htm#lugare
It is located near the Fragas del Eume. We have some regular guests from Madrid who have recommend that we visit the area as it is meant to be outstanding. The only coastal forest, with native trees, left in Galicia.
http://www.viveaonatural.xunta.es/ES/eume.htm

Don’t bother with Ferrol it is just a Naval Port. You are near A Coruña and you will have to past the city to get to the Costa de la Muerte. Use the A6, Betanzos is quite quaint but on spend a few hours there. South of the A6 the countryside is very very plain. The coastal area to the North is quite pretty.

BTW there is a big dispute between the Xunta de Galicia and Franco’s family about his old house. The Family had money to restore the house part of the agreement for the money was that they open it up to the public. Now the family have used the money they do not want to have lower classes walking all over their house.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Im very rusty with my spanish at the moment as I dont speak it at home and its a long time since Ive been to Spain. Most of my family are from the main city but I have relatives in Betazos also. Wasnt Franco from Ferrol? I saw him once in Sada. They used to line the streets with civil guards and close the whole of the beach off for his daughter to use.
Yes Debsy,
Franco was born in Ferrol and it used to be called, as Olmos said, Ferrol del Caudillo
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes Debsy,
Franco was born in Ferrol and it used to be called, as Olmos said, Ferrol del Caudillo
Nevertheless, you can eat there the best percebes in the world
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Don’t bother with Ferrol it is just a Naval Port.
I'm sorry but i don't agree with you at all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.