Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Galicia or Cadiz area

Galicia or Cadiz area

Old Mar 25th 2008, 12:32 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Galicia or Cadiz area

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
So those of you up there
They have expressed interest in seeing the Cathedrals & Architecture of the area so what are the must see things up there?

Thanks for mentioning La Coruna & Santiago DebsyW
Good choice!!!

There is so much to see here, just like a lot of other places in Spain it is steeped in History and wonderful countryside.
We have sent you a few links in a PM but for those who also might be interested in visiting our green land then here are a few general suggestions. Visit Santiago because if you visit Galicia you have to see it, however Santiago (SdC)is not Galicia. You will not need long to explore SdC, maybe about 1 day as it is quite small. There is a Paradore right next to the Cathedral. We would advise you choose you hotel carefully if you stay in the city. It can get noisy in the old quarter and you will not get to sleep very early.
http://www.santiagoturismo.com/
A Coruña is nice but some of its history is overstated, like the Torre de Hércules is said to be Roman in construction, but now scholars say it is 16th century. However it is quite nice place and lively at night with every type of bar you can think of.
http://www.coruna.es/servlet/Content...a=es]A Coruña
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/eu...html]Telegraph
What A Coruña may be good for is a base to explore the Costa Morte or the Rias Altas. Perhaps the best bit of coastline in Galicia.
Finisterrae
Further south on the coast is the Rías Baixas. We strongly suggest you avoid staying in Vigo, it is the largest city in Galicia, with a lot of manufacturing area, like Citroen. It has a small old quarter but nothing of real note. You could visit the
Islas Cíes from Vigo, but the ferries will not be running in April. BTW the beach on the Islas were voted the best in the world last year.
Beach top10
There are plenty of other places to see along the coast. Like, to name a few, Cambados , Baiona Tui etc.
In land our personal preference is the city of Lugo. It is a World Heritage site, jut like SdC. But unlike SdC it is not touristy at all. The city lives. It is known for its city walls, and cathedral. The walls make it unique in that it is the only completely encircled city in Europe with walls dating back to Roman times. The museum and a Celtic village outside the city are also worth a visit.
Lugo
We also like Ourense mainly for the hot springs. After a hard morning we escape the house for an hour or so to relax in the hot mineral waters. Then back to work for the afternoon and evening. Ribadavia near by is also quaint, with its Historical Jewish centre.
Then there is our bit of Galicia, The Ribeira Sacrá. We have Romanesque architecture coming out of our ears. Monasteries, chapels and churches. The one right next to us is said to be built so that they could test out the stability of the design for the cathedral in SdC. This area is full of surprises. Sorry enough of the advert! Near by to us is an area known as O Courel. Here you will find some more churches, but the area is known for its isolation and walking route.

Food wise try things like
Pulpo á feira
Perceberos (very expensive)
Lacón con grelos
Centollas (spider crabs)
Empanada
Pimientos de Padrón
Tarta de Santiago
To be honest most restaurants do not do good Postres, especially when you eat Menú del día. They are usually Postre de Plastico, from plastic tubs!
We have wine from several D.O. regions. The best red is from The Ribeira Sacrá and the best white is from Rias Baixas. Don’t forget to try an Orujo or even better a Queimada.

we may have forgotten something, but if you have any more questions either ask here or PM us.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Olmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to all

CSEstevo, excellent post.

I want to add some personal favs in Galicia: Pontevedra, a provincial small town, 45 min from Santiago. Amazing old quarter, full of live in the evenings. And Costa da Morte, arguably the most impressive coastline in Spain (I hope roads are better now, it used to be a "challenging" trip from Santiago, but I haven't been there for ages)

I am sure your friends will enjoy the trip, Mitziboy. Locals are a lovely bunch with a wicked side.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:47 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olmos

I want to add some personal favs in Galicia: Pontevedra, a provincial small town, 45 min from Santiago. Amazing old quarter, full of live in the evenings. And Costa da Morte, arguably the most impressive coastline in Spain (I hope roads are better now, it used to be a "challenging" trip from Santiago, but I haven't been there for ages)

I am sure your friends will enjoy the trip, Mitziboy. Locals are a lovely bunch with a wicked side.
Thanks both, really helpful, karma sent. Pontevedra is definately on the list as the neighbour says I have to go ... also Ourense, La Coruna, Santiago & maybe Lugo.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:45 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olmos

The roads are about the same, and so they should be if you want to visit nature. However this crazy Government is seemly hell bent on push Autovias everywhere. Whilst some new roads are needed we feel you are simply going to drive away visitors to the area if it buried under two-lane blacktops.

Mitzboy, the info we gave is quite general so if you want to know more then don’t hesitate to contact us. We feel like we should be working for Turgalicia now!

PS we forgot to say if you go to www.Turgalicia.com you can download some PDFs which are quite informative too. They are available by post but it may be too late to ask for them to be sent to you.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 5:23 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
The roads are about the same, and so they should be if you want to visit nature. However this crazy Government is seemly hell bent on push Autovias everywhere. Whilst some new roads are needed we feel you are simply going to drive away visitors to the area if it buried under two-lane blacktops.

Mitzboy, the info we gave is quite general so if you want to know more then don’t hesitate to contact us. We feel like we should be working for Turgalicia now!

PS we forgot to say if you go to www.Turgalicia.com you can download some PDFs which are quite informative too. They are available by post but it may be too late to ask for them to be sent to you.
We were hoping to come and stay at your place, but the other half from England have been talking about somewhere just South of Santiago for 4 days and then moving north for the end of the week. Waiting to see what comes of that
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

marisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both, really helpful, karma sent. Pontevedra is definately on the list as the neighbour says I have to go ... also Ourense, La Coruna, Santiago & maybe Lugo.
Hello Mitzyboy
You have done a very good choice. I am from Galicia, from La Coruña. You are going to enjoy your visit, i am sure. Everything is great, the food is fantastic, you have to try "vieiras".
If you go to Pontevedra, you must go to Cambados and drink white wine "albariño" the best white wine you can find.
I have a house in Costa Esuri, Ayamonte, because the weather is better but, if i tell the truth, i feel a little of "morriña de mi tierra"
Kind regards,
marisol
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:20 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Que?

Does that mean home sickness??
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

marisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Que?

Does that mean home sickness??
Are you talking about "morriña de mi tierra"?
I don't understand very good if home sickness means the same. Morriña is something people from Galicia feel when they are not in their region, is like "miss something a lot" but it is not miss someone but somewhere.
Well, i don't know if i have explained it good enough
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Even Casa Santo Estevo have sent a very good links, here you can find some pictures of galicia

photos
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marisol
I don't understand very good if home sickness means the same. Morriña is something people from Galicia feel when they are not in their region, is like "miss something a lot" but it is not miss someone but somewhere.
Yes, Marisol. Morinna is homesickness
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DebsyW
Yes, Marisol. Morinna is homesickness
Thank you DebsyW,
it's good to know
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:45 pm
Senior Moment

Hello Mitzyboy
You have done a very good choice. I am from Galicia, from La Coruña. You are going to enjoy your visit, i am sure. Everything is great, the food is fantastic, you have to try "vieiras".
If you go to Pontevedra, you must go to Cambados and drink white wine "albariño" the best white wine you can find.
I have a house in Costa Esuri, Ayamonte, because the weather is better but, if i tell the truth, i feel a little of "morriña de mi tierra"
Kind regards,
marisol
When I told my Galician neighbour I was going, he looked very sad and shook his head quite a lot
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Mitzyboy
Kind regards,
marisol
Marisol, my dad is from La Coruna. He was born and lived in Monelos, the bus station is now at the end of the street. I remember it being built. I havent been back for 6 years but we are going in August to see family. My parents go every year for a month.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

hiraeth in Welsh, same sort of thing....a longing for home
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:11 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.