British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Galicia or Cadiz area (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/galicia-cadiz-area-513242/)

Mitzyboy Feb 10th 2008 12:06 pm

Galicia or Cadiz area

Got some friends coming over in April for an annual tour .... last year we just stayed local here but this year we are thinking of going to one of the above

So whats where and how good is it? :D
Probably be the Atlantic coast in Galacia as my neighbours told me all about it, but I know nothing about the Cadiz / Sevilla area

crispy Feb 10th 2008 12:39 pm

Re: Galicia or Cadiz area

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 5912029)
Got some friends coming over in April for an annual tour .... last year we just stayed local here but this year we are thinking of going to one of the above

So whats where and how good is it? :D
Probably be the Atlantic coast in Galacia as my neighbours told me all about it, but I know nothing about the Cadiz / Sevilla area

You just want to come to Cadiz in April because you don't want to miss the meet up with Matt.;)

April would be a great time to explore Jerez/Seville as the weather would be cool enough to walk for miles without getting touchy because it is so darn hot. If you get a chance you should visit Ronda, what a beautiful place the view from the town is breathtaking. In the Cadiz area you have Medina Sidonia, Arcos de la Frontera. The Donana National Park is worth a day out and then of course you need to spend a day following the tapas route both in Cadiz and Jerez where you can pop into Tio Pepe and spend a few hours on their sherry tour with a little taster at the end:thumbsup: Then you have Vejer de la Frontera and a place not to be miss is Trafalgar (nudest beach there:eek:) you would be at home there as it is where the aging hippy's hang out. Tarifa is cool and of course from there over to Morrocco for the day, or better still stay the night. There is a local mag call laluz check out their website it give you loads of info.

spanishfamily Feb 10th 2008 3:53 pm

Seville is wonderful - lovely weather, lovely food, so much to see. We found Cadiz to be very windy!

Casa Santo Estevo Feb 10th 2008 3:56 pm

We are very very biased!

Mitzyboy Feb 10th 2008 5:15 pm

Thanks for those that have replied, although I aont got too much to go on yet :D

I have to give my friends a detailed proposal :D

jo-ann Feb 11th 2008 7:20 am

Cadiz itself is a wonderful place to explore with some fantastic restaurants/tapas bars, it has a great atmosphere. Take the catamaran from Puerto Santa Maria for a good day out. You should look at the tourist information web site.

gallerie9 Feb 11th 2008 10:23 am

Well we live here near Cadiz that is inland about 40 mins, not far from the main route to Cadiz and Seville, the trip on the cattermaran or on the old boat from Puerto Santa Maria as the above poster said is great and a fantastic way to explore Cadiz. The old town is full of history, we love Jerez and its I cant put it into words but it is great for a day out. We live in the oldest white village in the area and it is steeped in local history.
What sort of things do you like to do Mitzy there is so much the motor GP place is just outside Jerez. The weather will be fantastic at that time of year.
Give us a clue and pherhaps i can tell you what will suit your tastes

Nige Feb 11th 2008 10:24 am

Worth thinking of combining your visit when there is some feria on ? The tourism people at Cadiz have a web site that gives dates of local ferias etc -
http://www.cadizturismo.com/ing/fiestas/meses.php

towards the end of April you have the annual feria at El Puerto when lots of people dress up (and get drunk) and the horse fair in Jerez when you see some wonderful colours and sights.
Earlier in April there is a spring fair at Vejer but I don't know what this entails. Vejer is a great base for exploring this coast of the Costa de la Luz.

Mitzyboy Feb 11th 2008 10:29 am

Originally Posted by gallerie9 (Post 5916014)
Well we live here near Cadiz that is inland about 40 mins, not far from the main route to Cadiz and Seville, the trip on the cattermaran or on the old boat from Puerto Santa Maria as the above poster said is great and a fantastic way to explore Cadiz. The old town is full of history, we love Jerez and its I cant put it into words but it is great for a day out. We live in the oldest white village in the area and it is steeped in local history.
What sort of things do you like to do Mitzy there is so much the motor GP place is just outside Jerez. The weather will be fantastic at that time of year.
Give us a clue and pherhaps i can tell you what will suit your tastes

Thanks Nige & Gallerie

Basically just like exploring towns, architecture etc, good food, and we like taking trips out to see scenery, local museums ... normal stuff really :)

gallerie9 Feb 11th 2008 10:38 am

2 Attachment(s)
Wll you will have to come and see us then Mitzy cause we live in a real old house over 400 years old, its what is called a patio house bulit in the arab style, its about half finished now and well we love it.
The history is all over the area from Roman remains and all the rest,
There is a White village route and we are on that as the oldest village in the area, lots of churches that were mosques and like Nige said the Ferias are fantastic.
We had our carnival the last 2 weeks it finished in the early hours of this morning, and this is for the locals not a tourist attraction, and they do know how to party LOL.
Do drop us a PM if we can help
Sharon

Attachment 62073

Attachment 62074

Casa Santo Estevo Feb 11th 2008 11:43 am

Originally Posted by gallerie9 (Post 5916075)
....... we live in a real old house over 400 years old, its what is called a patio house bulit in the arab style, its about half finished now .....

400 years to build a house' we know Spain has this Mañana attitude but this is a bit too long:lol::lol:

Chiclanagir Feb 11th 2008 1:07 pm

1 Attachment(s)
And nobody has mentioned the wonderful beaches which stretch for miles and miles and miles washed by the clean Atlantic, and it is not called the Costa de Luz for nothing the light here is just something. White beaches, blue sea and sky. Gorgeous.

battlezone123 Feb 11th 2008 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo (Post 5912524)
We are very very biased!

So are we!

gallerie9 Feb 11th 2008 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo (Post 5916319)
400 years to build a house' we know Spain has this Mañana attitude but this is a bit too long:lol::lol:

LOL
Well it the restoration that is taking its time a one man band, 3 flats done one nearly finished and then the front house then the patios and the studios so still away to go LOL

crispy Feb 17th 2008 2:39 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Same beach as chiclanagirl posted but taken just as the sun had set, number 2 grand-daughter running along the beach.