G&T anyone?

Old May 22nd 2013, 2:02 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: G&T anyone?

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Good ad.

Noticeable that the Aldi box of 160 is considerably smaller that the PG 160, presumably smaller bags ?

Can't see them being as good, anyone know any different ?
Possibly much milder/weaker ?

From what I've see us Brits prefer a proper cup of strongish tea whereas the less well educated bloody foreigners seem to settle for the weak and watery stuff.

Anyone else find this ?
Funny I recently got really annoyed that a product I regularly use was repackaged... They made the 'footprint' smaller but the package higher. Making it look bigger, but taking up more space. I don't have unlimited space. It no longer fitted in the original space making me have to rearrange shelves!! Frustrating!! Also there is a lot of 'air' in it. Exactly the same weight of contents.

In this case ALDI control all the costs and realize that more product can be transported if you make the package small as poss to fit the contents - especially for something light as tea.

One way of controlling cost and giving us a good price. So until I try the tea I won't make any conclusion over the package size.

Hopefully (like their Gin) it is also good especially after the great ad.

'Contents settle after packing'

Jon
Old May 22nd 2013, 2:38 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
I remember when visiting my relatives in Wales that they made their tea by the "passover" method - just so long as the white of the milk had the smallest of colour to it.
YUK
Like you I like to be able to taste the tea, with the smallest amount of milk.

Had a cafe tea last week - the girl was making more of a fuss about whether I wanted hot or cold milk
Think I had them all totally confused - might go back there this week and see if they remember how to do it properly
I'm a tea nutcase. My wife doesn't drink it much and I have a pot for one. I put a bit of boiling water in a mug (no cup for me), and the pot .. Then put the pot on top of the mug (like a hot 'lid') and cover both with a cosy/folded tea towel. They both heat up, the mug gets really hot. Then I wait a bit reboil the water and put tea in the emptied + hot pot +fresh boiled water. Back on top of the mug + cosy etc. wait 5 mins, then empty the hot mug add a splash of milk and the hot tea... Delicious!

I have a variation of this when making bigger quantities for guests with the same basic principles

Who says only the Japanese have a tea ceremony.

Jon (AKA Mr OCD . )

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; May 22nd 2013 at 2:41 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 6:38 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Good news for budget buyers. Ive sent the link to friends who (like me) have no problem going to LIDL/ALDI. Sadly there is a snob-value thing where some people criticise these stores. This link shows them how they can be, at times, wrong!

Cant remember which one, but they had a wonderful advert last year... lady comparing ALDI Tea to PG tips that her husband likes ..... well dont let me spoil it if you haven't seen it here it is... .. best ad in ages....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCKgCkubGc0

Good to know that they can also have quality products that match this quality ad!!

Jon
Not just award winning gin...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ste-tests.html

Im planning to get my gin from Aldi when the current batch dies.... and I reckon stock up on bubble as well.... Can you believe it beat Veuve Cliquot at 130 quid and a M+C at 33!

Jon
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 10:51 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Don't believe actually, every other week there is something from Aldi beats everything else...manipulated hype
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 11:23 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Don't believe actually, every other week there is something from Aldi beats everything else...manipulated hype
Proof of the pudding is in the eating.

The numbers who do almost all their shopping there rather than just call in for special offers and the huge amount of positive feedback suggests they must be doing quite a lot of things right.

Top UK Supermarket 2 years out of the last 4 I believe, as per independent "Which" reviews.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 11:34 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

In Feb Which awarded Waitrose as best supermarket. Some daft survey also said Skoda was the UK's popular car

Still don't believe it...you get what you pay for, more or less.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 11:36 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Proof of the pudding is in the eating.

The numbers who do almost all their shopping there rather than just call in for special offers and the huge amount of positive feedback suggests they must be doing quite a lot of things right.

Top UK Supermarket 2 years out of the last 4 I believe, as per independent "Which" reviews.
Sorry Jackie I'm with DD.... The IWC aren't that biased, otherwise they would never let the champers beat the SPECIAL Veuve Cliquot grande dame. Maybe Aldi and Lidl are in the news for the good stuff they do, because too many people think 'cheap is nasty'.... When you can sometimes get a great deal at Aldi and Lidl. So back-at-ya

Of course it down to personal taste, but I will buy a wine that has won a competition over one that hasnt..... But beware there are companies that put a little circular sticker on the label, which as nothing to do with winning a prize.

Jon
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 11:45 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Some daft survey also said Skoda was the UK's popular car
It wasn't a popularity survey, it was a customer satisfaction survey by the most respected company in that business - JD Power.

Skoda came first and second.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...-model-results
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 12:08 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Fred James
It wasn't a popularity survey, it was a customer satisfaction survey by the most respected company in that business - JD Power.

Skoda came first and second.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...-model-results
Nah, blame the daily mail who has it listed as Britains favourite car

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-quality.html
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 12:42 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
I'm a tea nutcase. My wife doesn't drink it much and I have a pot for one. I put a bit of boiling water in a mug (no cup for me), and the pot .. Then put the pot on top of the mug (like a hot 'lid') and cover both with a cosy/folded tea towel. They both heat up, the mug gets really hot. Then I wait a bit reboil the water and put tea in the emptied + hot pot +fresh boiled water. Back on top of the mug + cosy etc. wait 5 mins, then empty the hot mug add a splash of milk and the hot tea... Delicious!

I have a variation of this when making bigger quantities for guests with the same basic principles

Who says only the Japanese have a tea ceremony.

Jon (AKA Mr OCD . )
used to make tea in volume with a large container and about 12 heaped teaspoons of large leaf loose tea - but when you are making for 25-30 people it still takes a bit of finesse.
adding sweetened condensed milk adds to the flavour, especially if you are looking for a brew that is going to keep the bridge watchkeepers awake but warm and happy.
the same applies when making a brew of kai, a hot coco drink, usually proved by being able to stand the spoon up in it.

Old Jul 22nd 2013, 6:11 pm
BE Positive

Originally Posted by Domino
used to make tea in volume with a large container and about 12 heaped teaspoons of large leaf loose tea - but when you are making for 25-30 people it still takes a bit of finesse.
adding sweetened condensed milk adds to the flavour, especially if you are looking for a brew that is going to keep the bridge watchkeepers awake but warm and happy.
the same applies when making a brew of kai, a hot coco drink, usually proved by being able to stand the spoon up in it.

Sounds like you've been to India .... And tasted chai....

Cant beat a nice cuppa - even in this heat

Jon