Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

FYI - The British are failing to integrate in Spain…

FYI - The British are failing to integrate in Spain…

Old Sep 10th 2018, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Lmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FYI - The British are failing to integrate in Spain…

Personally I think people miss out if they make no attempt to integrate. Annoys me when some people don’t even say hello or thank you in Spanish. It’s not difficult and certainly not polite.
each to their own I guess.
thankfully since moving over last November our Spanish has come on in leaps and bounds.
Old Sep 10th 2018, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Hornets_Nest will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Lmj2018
Annoys me when some people don’t even say hello or thank you in Spanish.
I agree - there has never been an easier time to lean a language with the Apps and online media available. If I am unsure of how to say something, say at a bus station or in a bank, I simply run through what I would like to say on Google Translate which is on my phone. OK I am taking it day by day but now when I go for a hair cut etc I do it all in Spanish and I've started buying .El Pais or a local Spanish paper every few days just to see how I get on. So mnay words are either the same or very similar in both languages it really isn't that hard.
Old Sep 10th 2018, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting that you mention Google translate and the the plethora of new enabling technologies. Most of my students use instant translation programs as ways of producing both oral and written text and do so as ease of use. However it is exactly because you don't really need to work so hard to produce something that means it's probably not really helping you learn as effectively as you think. Translating a lengthy Spanish text into English is admittedly useful but there is no learning going on plus the translations are often lacking in coherence do to the algorithm which means the reader readjusts it based his or hers prejudices.
Old Sep 10th 2018, 2:30 pm
Banned

Johncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith
Interesting that you mention Google translate and the the plethora of new enabling technologies. Most of my students use instant translation programs as ways of producing both oral and written text and do so as ease of use. However it is exactly because you don't really need to work so hard to produce something that means it's probably not really helping you learn as effectively as you think. Translating a lengthy Spanish text into English is admittedly useful but there is no learning going on plus the translations are often lacking in coherence do to the algorithm which means the reader readjusts it based his or hers prejudices.
I am afraid that is what’s called progress. How many can add up a simple shop order without a calculator. Showing my age, when I started as an apprentice all I did for the first year was sweep the garage floor, mash the tea and go for the sandwich order.