British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Furniture in Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/furniture-spain-473736/)

JANETH Aug 13th 2007 1:45 pm

Furniture in Spain

Does anybody know anything about furniture in Costa Del Sol? We are buying an unfurnished house in Nerja - just as a holiday home for the time being, and not to be rented out. What is the best way to get the basic furniture? I don't really want to buy a furniture pack, but I do need to get some essential items quickly. I did visit one of the furniture packs companies - but do you really have to pay £800 for a basic double bed in a wooden frame? I was hoping for something like Ikea prices!

In general, if we leave it until we actually get the house, can you walk in a shop and come out with a bed or sofa, or does these things need to be ordered weeks in advance like a lot of the shops in the UK?

Bigbhudda69 Aug 13th 2007 2:25 pm

Re: Furniture in Spain

Originally Posted by JANETH (Post 5183479)
Does anybody know anything about furniture in Costa Del Sol? We are buying an unfurnished house in Nerja - just as a holiday home for the time being, and not to be rented out. What is the best way to get the basic furniture? I don't really want to buy a furniture pack, but I do need to get some essential items quickly. I did visit one of the furniture packs companies - but do you really have to pay £800 for a basic double bed in a wooden frame? I was hoping for something like Ikea prices!

In general, if we leave it until we actually get the house, can you walk in a shop and come out with a bed or sofa, or does these things need to be ordered weeks in advance like a lot of the shops in the UK?

Hello and welcome, there is supposed to be an Ikea opening in Malaga by the airport, it should be open August according to the blurb, you can check that out. depends where you are, there is a store called Buffalo in Velez Malaga on the industrial estate where you can get most stuff, also lots of smaller furniture stores, delivery in these stores seems to be fairly quick.
there is also a habitat here good luck.

sunlover27 Aug 13th 2007 7:32 pm

As BB says Ikea is due to open shortly, pretty sure its Oct 7. Also if you go to the industrial estates at the back of Malaga, eg: El Viso Ind Est. you will get everything you want at low prices. Happy shopping :D

Lospacoshombre Aug 14th 2007 6:43 am

Hi,
We had a similar dilemma a few years ago, and we have equipped two new apartments in the last five years, so I have trekked far and wide for furniture.

We find Spanish furniture over priced or just poor quality. all the shops seem to be very expensive even ones on Industrial estates where you would expect cheapness.

We hired an estate car and went to Ikea Sevilla (a hard long day) but we purchased reasonable quality modern furniture for a reasonable price, it is amazing how much you can fit in in one go! We had already checked the furniture out in Uk before venturing over.

The rest we bought at the right price in UK Matalan/B N Q in sale/and other reasonable outlets and shipped over 2-3 sq metres of small items. My wife had a field day opening all the boxes!

My sofa camr from the Benitzes shop on the Mijas Road Fuengirola in the sale.

If you are able to hang on in until Ikea opens in Malage then good for you, my wife cannot wait and my credit card is sweating in anticipation!

Hasta
Al

Bigbhudda69 Aug 14th 2007 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by sunlover27 (Post 5184676)
As BB says Ikea is due to open shortly, pretty sure its Oct 7. Also if you go to the industrial estates at the back of Malaga, eg: El Viso Ind Est. you will get everything you want at low prices. Happy shopping :D

Hi sunlover, I wondered why it had gone quite about Ikea, last I heard it was scheduled for August opening, their website tells you nothing, where did you hear from if I may ask ?...BB

tallbob Aug 14th 2007 2:48 pm

Hi
This is not promoting my own business, as I am not anywhere near you, but one of the services we provide is an IKEA shop service, you basically pick out what you want from the English website, we look at the Spanish one come back to you with a price which includes, picking it all up building it and taking all the packaging away and it is all ready for when you move in
I know there are other companies doing it on the Alicante coast so there must be others around Spain,
The Sevilla IKEA is very easy to get to, we went there when my son was running in the Sevilla marathon earlier this year

sunlover27 Aug 14th 2007 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Bigbhudda69 (Post 5187564)
Hi sunlover, I wondered why it had gone quite about Ikea, last I heard it was scheduled for August opening, their website tells you nothing, where did you hear from if I may ask ?...BB

There is a big sign outside the building with the date on:thumbsup:

Bigbhudda69 Aug 14th 2007 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by sunlover27 (Post 5188263)
There is a big sign outside the building with the date on:thumbsup:

That would do it then...will have a look when over..:thumbup:

sortedtoo Aug 14th 2007 7:54 pm

I checked out prices in spain for kitting a villa out, and decided best way was to bring it from UK

Mercedes sprinter LWB Van £500 hire + Tunnel £120+ Tolls £150 + Diesel £300
total about £1070

3 of us having a week there, would have paid say £130 each for flights. So extra cost to take van approx £700.

Based on Spanish furniture/white good prices you save way more than that in no time + we had a lot of fun driving + we took all our DIY/Power tools to work on the villa while we were there.

jdr Aug 14th 2007 8:08 pm

If you are going to live in Spain then support the Spanish business`s and economy. :thumbup:

sortedtoo Aug 14th 2007 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 5189081)
If you are going to live in Spain then support the Spanish business`s and economy. :thumbup:

Yep - support spain economy with property purchase tax, gardener, pool man, restaurants, food purchase etc.....................

But - No point paying extra for furniture in spain as it can be purchased cheaper from other European countries e.g. UK ! Get the prices right and i'd buy in spain.

jandy44 Aug 14th 2007 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by sortedtoo (Post 5189004)
Based on Spanish furniture/white good prices you save way more than that in no time + we had a lot of fun driving + we took all our DIY/Power tools to work on the villa while we were there.

Hi sortedtoo, hey you are very close to us,we are in Wakefield.........:thumbup: we will be driving over also........mainly to take all O/H,s stuff,books mags tools etc etc.........my bits and bats will fit in a shoe box :rofl: we have just re-fitted our kitchen so everything will have to stay and has we will be renting at first I think we may land up selling the furniture and buying what we need in Spain :unsure: we will see how it goes..........:thumbup:

sortedtoo Aug 25th 2007 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by jandy44 (Post 5189494)
Hi sortedtoo, hey you are very close to us,we are in Wakefield.........:thumbup: we will be driving over also........mainly to take all O/H,s stuff,books mags tools etc etc.........my bits and bats will fit in a shoe box :rofl: we have just re-fitted our kitchen so everything will have to stay and has we will be renting at first I think we may land up selling the furniture and buying what we need in Spain :unsure: we will see how it goes..........:thumbup:

have a good trip

Fred James Aug 26th 2007 6:34 am

Originally Posted by sortedtoo (Post 5189455)
But - No point paying extra for furniture in spain as it can be purchased cheaper from other European countries e.g. UK ! Get the prices right and i'd buy in spain.

You can buy good furniture in Spain cheaper than the UK - you just have to spend some time finding the right places.

The Spanish earn about a third as much as the average Brit - do you think they would pay the high prices that you are suggesting - I think not.

We recently furnished our house with Spanish furniture and the prices and quality were as good or better than the UK.

Chiclanagir Aug 26th 2007 10:46 am

I hate Spanish furniture. It is all heavy and dark and the sofas are like something out of the 1950´s. Okay if you like that sort of thing but I don´t.