Reload this Page >

furnishing a home

furnishing a home

Old Apr 28th 2017, 8:45 pm
Banned

tuhler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: furnishing a home

Originally Posted by lgm1963
My initials are LGM not igm....just another in your long list of errors.

Nowhere did I make any reference to "superiority" of british standards....is that why you used inverted commas?

I merely suggested that good quality used furniture in the UK is relatively less expensive than in Spain from what I have read on here, elsewhere and seen on those TV programmes that cover moving to Spain.

You really really can't help yourself at all can you?

Try reading people's post from a positive perspective instead of a negative one....you might actually wake up one day feeling good about yourself but I doubt it.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tuhler
No we do not need to..perhaps a little bit more investigation...we do not have demons...just 30 years of living .....breathing this wonderful peninsular.If you really want good...very good secondhand furniture...go to northern portugal...it is all there..not in ikea in some dumb uk city
Dear Sir

My initial post referred only to obtaining better quality used furniture in the UK, for example I can source a contemporary used solid oak extending dining table with six matching chairs in impeccable order for between £50 and £100 without any trouble.

My term "better quality" referred to buying for example a solid oak table and chairs rather than an IKEA thin pine table and chairs.

"Better quality" had nothing to do with slurring the furniture from another country nor slurring the manufacturing standards of another country.

Simply, and I will not get bored of repeating this, it was my contention that good quality used furniture is very easy and cheap to source here in the UK even in the South East and I was led to believe that "better quality" used furniture in Spain was relatively expensive.

That's it.

Knickers can all be untwisted, sand can be rinsed from vaginas.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 9:20 pm
Banned

Dear Sir

My initial post referred only to obtaining better quality used furniture in the UK, for example I can source a contemporary used solid oak extending dining table with six matching chairs in impeccable order for between £50 and £100 without any trouble.

My term "better quality" referred to buying for example a solid oak table and chairs rather than an IKEA thin pine table and chairs.

"Better quality" had nothing to do with slurring the furniture from another country nor slurring the manufacturing standards of another country.

Simply, and I will not get bored of repeating this, it was my contention that good quality used furniture is very easy and cheap to source here in the UK even in the South East and I was led to believe that "better quality" used furniture in Spain was relatively expensive.

That's it.

Knickers can all be untwisted, sand can be rinsed from vaginas.
Ok...please supply me with 20 tables and matching solid oak chairs...at say 100£..PER set .genuire..oak and validated... I Will take off you every set you can lay your hands on..I will have them shipped out to usa and sold within 24 hours
you make 100%..profit..I make a fortune..do not let me down now...bank transfers after viewing by my agent...OK
Old Apr 29th 2017, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Dependant on the area, some Spanish houses are beautifully furnished with well made and finished Spanish furniture. If you get a chance to buy such a property fully furnished, problem solved I can assure you. They also have a habit of 'cramming' so you may have more than you need. We brought some stuff over with us that we paid good cash for and used in the UK without probs for three years. When it ' lived' out here, it cracked, shrunk and all the joints dried out! Simply put, the heat / dryness killed it. Some was Pine, some was Oak but all were acclimatised in blighty!
Furniture here is expensive but generally very well made, cheap does as cheap is, no matter where you are!
Old Apr 29th 2017, 9:17 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lurchio
Dependant on the area, some Spanish houses are beautifully furnished with well made and finished Spanish furniture. If you get a chance to buy such a property fully furnished, problem solved I can assure you. They also have a habit of 'cramming' so you may have more than you need. We brought some stuff over with us that we paid good cash for and used in the UK without probs for three years. When it ' lived' out here, it cracked, shrunk and all the joints dried out! Simply put, the heat / dryness killed it. Some was Pine, some was Oak but all were acclimatised in blighty!
Furniture here is expensive but generally very well made, cheap does as cheap is, no matter where you are!
That is what has happened to a few of my pieces of furniture and although I put it down to the heat I was beginning to wonder if it was something else so I am grateful that you have mentioned it.

Rosemary
Old Apr 29th 2017, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by here we go
Planning to move to Spain ...looking to buy min 3 bedroom house ...wondering if anyone could give us a rough estimate on cost of furnishing over there ? Is 2nd hand an option ? would we be better to look for fully furnished ?
IMO an almost impossible question to answer. Imagine the reverse and someone in Spain was asking for a rough estimate of furnishing in the U.K.? I appreciate the choice may be wider, but the answer depends on so many things - personal taste for one thing!
Old Apr 29th 2017, 6:38 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Nowhere did I make any reference to "superiority" of british standards....is that why you used inverted commas?

I merely suggested that good quality used furniture in the UK is relatively less expensive than in Spain from what I have read on here, elsewhere and seen on those TV programmes that cover moving to Spain.

Try reading people's post from a positive perspective instead of a negative one....you might actually wake up one day feeling good about yourself but I doubt it.
Actually, you wouldn't have the vaguest clue
Old Apr 29th 2017, 6:40 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by amideislas
Actually, you wouldn't have the vaguest clue
Old Apr 29th 2017, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Must remind Ami to use the sarcasm smilie
Old Apr 29th 2017, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Must remind Ami to use the sarcasm smilie
This thread which is in the Spain section now appears to be a continuation of the antagonism seen in one of the "Take It Outside Threads".

Can people not keep their sniping at one another in the appropriate thread without it spreading to every part of the forum?
Old Apr 30th 2017, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

OTA63 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with you Jonboy. People come on here to ask questions to which they are looking for answers and opinions. What they don't want are sarcastic remarks or people sniping at each other.
Please can we keep this thread and others nice and polite and respect people's questions. Remember, their questions might seem stupid to some but it's not to those asking them.

The answers may seem obvious if you know them but they are not if you don't.
Old Apr 30th 2017, 10:43 am
Account Closed

Tadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by here we go
Planning to move to Spain ...looking to buy min 3 bedroom house ...wondering if anyone could give us a rough estimate on cost of furnishing over there ? Is 2nd hand an option ? would we be better to look for fully furnished ?
Hi
It is not rocket science and buying furniture in Spain is no different to buying in the UK

The process you would use to buy furniture in the UK is exactly the same as the one you should use to buy in Spain.

As for the costs IMO there is not a huge difference between UK & Spain.

Same for quality

Would you buy a house in UK fully furnished? If so what would you do to check the quality, price etc.

Your budget should guide you and their is plenty of detail online for many Spanish furniture shops new and 2nd hand

Remember the Spanish have been buying furniture in Spain for a long time just as the Brits do in the UK etc.

One thing I would avoid is furniture packs (I would avoid a similar thing in the UK).
Old Apr 30th 2017, 10:48 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

The op asked a perfectly reasonable question. The answer from one contributor, however, was as daft as it gets, and reflects his ignorance about the topic (and illustrates the bubble many Brits live in). And it turns out he's not alone. In fact, some are even worse.
Old Apr 30th 2017, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Very popular on amazon.co.uk. Better quality, too.
You must have a sad life if all you can do is come here and brit bash.
Old Apr 30th 2017, 4:13 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Please stop.

Rosemary