Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Funeral Plans for Non-Residents in Spain

Funeral Plans for Non-Residents in Spain

Old Mar 7th 2021, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Funeral Plans for Non-Residents in Spain

Is that amount inclusive of burying the body with plot and box or just cremation?
Old Mar 7th 2021, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonboy
Is that amount inclusive of burying the body with plot and box or just cremation?
In Spain you rarely get buried in the ground, but are placed in a niche, which you rent for a certain period of time (5 years usual minimum). When you rent runs out, your remains are removed and put into a communal grave.
Old Mar 8th 2021, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Funeral Plans for Non-Residents in Spain

Originally Posted by jonboy
They don’t bury bodies here. They are cremated and then placed in a hole in a wall in the grave yard which you rent for a certain amount of time. The costs were all inclusive but depending on type of coffin, flowers etc.
Old Mar 8th 2021, 8:38 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
They don’t bury bodies here. They are cremated and then placed in a hole in a wall in the grave yard which you rent for a certain amount of time. The costs were all inclusive but depending on type of coffin, flowers etc.
The vast majority are not cremated. Coffins are placed in the hole in the wall. Some of the holes are for couples so they are unsealed when the partner needs to be placed there.

Rosemary
Old Mar 8th 2021, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
The body with the coffin is placed directly into the niche, without first being cremated. Sometimes it's the cremated remains but usual custom is burial of the body in the niche.
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Luke Mason is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

Iv just set a plan up for mum all over the phone and was completely hassle free with an English Speaking company called Compare Funerals ltd for 3000 euros all in. It covers absolutely everything. My biggest Concern when mum does pass is having to arrange everything as i know i will be in a bad state.. Also funerals take place a lot quicker here than they do back home i believe they take place within 24 hrs and to be honest i cant imagine trying to arrange everything in that time when i know i will be grieving, at least this way i know everything will be in place when the inevitable does happen and all i will have to do is make one phone to compare funerals and they will take care of everything.
I'm now going to take out a plan for myself and my wife to take away the stress and cost from our kids in the future.
Old Jul 23rd 2021, 12:16 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
When my sister was killed whilst on holiday in Portugal in 2019 (she and her husband had foolishly not taken out travel insurance), the Lisbon funeral director's bill for dealing with all the formalities, embalming the body and the repatriation costs came to just over €3,000. I was relieved because I feared it would be much more. Thank goodness they hadn't gone to the USA.
Cremations are quite cheap in the USA. They would put the ashes in a plastic bag, and it would go in your luggage.
Old Jul 23rd 2021, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

As someone said it's not just about the cost, it's the convenience of having it all taken care of with one phone call.

IMO if you can afford to permanently freeze €3k or so in a savings A/C to pay for a funeral then the choice between that and paying around €3.5-4k for a plan is not a difficult decision to make.

There is a potential problem with credit cards as usually the actual A/C will be in the name of the husband with the wife as a second card holder and the death of the husband will technically cancel secondary cards.

Death of a primary card holder should be reported as soon a practically possible and deliberately delaying that in order to pay for a funeral on a secondary card could conceivably be regarded as fraud.
Old Jul 23rd 2021, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin

There is a potential problem with credit cards as usually the actual A/C will be in the name of the husband with the wife as a second card holder and the death of the husband will technically cancel secondary cards.
Do people really still conduct their financial and banking affairs like this? I've been married twice and always had my own bank account, debit and credit cards in my name only.
Old Jul 23rd 2021, 3:54 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I have never had seperate accounts.

If you don't want potential problems with the bank - simple - don't tell them! With a divorce you are more likely to tell them to protect your assets. In a death situation where the remauining spouse inherits anyway, I cannot see you being arrested for fraud.
Old Jul 29th 2021, 4:53 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
As someone said it's not just about the cost, it's the convenience of having it all taken care of with one phone call.

IMO if you can afford to permanently freeze €3k or so in a savings A/C to pay for a funeral then the choice between that and paying around €3.5-4k for a plan is not a difficult decision to make.

Death of a primary card holder should be reported as soon a practically possible and deliberately delaying that in order to pay for a funeral on a secondary card could conceivably be regarded as fraud.
Both can be authorized users on a credit card, or you can name someone a user w/o being an administrator. With couples using the same card they would elect both to be authorized users. The living spouse could just keep on using it, and cancel the deceased’s card. Your post sounds like something from the 1950s,
Old Aug 1st 2021, 6:04 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I have never had seperate accounts.

If you don't want potential problems with the bank - simple - don't tell them! With a divorce you are more likely to tell them to protect your assets. In a death situation where the remauining spouse inherits anyway, I cannot see you being arrested for fraud.
The custom is most of the money goes to the children, with or without a will, so it could be construed as that.
Old Aug 2nd 2021, 6:55 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It may be the custom (actually its the law) in Spain, but UK foreigners can do pretty much what they like. I was, of course, referring to the normal will between spouses where everything goes to the surviving spouse.
Old Aug 4th 2021, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

When my mum died in 2017 the funeral director was there within the hour, we had to sign paperwork at a table in the same room as her body.

It was upstairs in the hospital, like a private room that was set up like a Chapel.

Everything was signed and we postponed her burial for a week, so that family could come from the UK.

When we were in the funeral home / crematorium they kept badgering us for payment, like we were going to leave without paying. My dad paid by visa, it was 3 grand. We didn't have a ceremony or anything.