Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Funeral expenses in Spain

Funeral expenses in Spain

Old Feb 25th 2007, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Funeral expenses in Spain

In view of the other topic on organs, I thought this might be useful too. I know some people find this a maudlin subject, but to me if everything's sorted in the dying department, I can get on with the business of living. There are lots of tragic stories about people who haven't properly 'settled their affairs'.

So, once you've made a Will, you may want to be aware of some of the issues about
preparing ahead in the event of someone’s death in Spain.

In Spain, it’s the law that the funeral must take place within 72 hours of death and more generally the day after death. Where there is cold storage available, this limit doesn’t apply. If you have Life Insurance and depend on this alone for funeral costs, there could be a delay in paying out and funeral directors expect the money up-front. If it is a policy taken out in UK, you may encounter bureaucratic delays over the translation of documents.

Funeral insurance is very common in Spain. The earlier you take it out, the cheaper it is. Some will offer only a pre-paid funeral if you are 65 or over.

If you want to familiarize yourself with the subject, have a look at www.expatica.com , click on “Survival” in the left hand menu, click on “Relocation” (no kidding!) and the list of topics appears. Go to “the Spanish way of dying”. A British company mentioned in that article offers insurance that covers Spain, France and UK to meet the wishes of those people who live in Spain but would want to be buried/cremated in another country.

If you want to know more about funeral insurance with Spanish companies. Visit www.convenium.com/225.asp. Well established companies are listed, what they cover etc. Information is in English. One company has an office in Chiclana.

Last edited by Arco-Iris; Feb 25th 2007 at 8:45 am. Reason: a bit of an apology for posting this
Old Feb 25th 2007, 9:16 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Funeral expenses in Spain

Our pool cleaner died a couple of years ago, and he was cremated at the crem in Denia and apparantly it was a beautiful service in nice surroundings. Paid up front though, as you say.

You're right to post this for sure its something we haven't made provision for. It never happens to you does it!

So .... if you elect to be sent home (at huge expense for sure), I assume you are just put in storage until the arrangements are made.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 9:27 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Our pool cleaner died a couple of years ago, and he was cremated at the crem in Denia and apparantly it was a beautiful service in nice surroundings. Paid up front though, as you say.

You're right to post this for sure its something we haven't made provision for. It never happens to you does it!

So .... if you elect to be sent home (at huge expense for sure), I assume you are just put in storage until the arrangements are made.
I spose someday someone will look in "handy info links" ;-)

Try this one HERE
Old Feb 25th 2007, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr

Try this one HERE
Yes, JDR, did look afterwards - very good info. from Age Concern.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 9:54 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr

Try this one HERE

Errrr .... sorry JDR .... must get into the habit.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 2:34 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Errrr .... sorry JDR .... must get into the habit.
OK I will let you two off with just a small punishment.....
Put a recipe HERE ;-)
Old Feb 25th 2007, 3:00 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by jdr
OK I will let you two off with just a small punishment.....
Put a recipe HERE ;-)
You want me to poison the rest of the site users???
Old Feb 25th 2007, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Done.....hope someone enjoys it!
Old Feb 25th 2007, 7:25 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

I love the idead of being ' re-located' Arco Iris. As in 'Where is Poollounger these days, he never posts anymore ?' 'Oh didn't you know ?? He has relocated to an orchard,' or 'he is now relocated somewhere near the Guadalvaquir'...or even 'he has been relocated to somewhere further south, where its much hotter and livelier and a bit more debauched.' Or 'he has gone futher north, wanted a more cultural life, classical music and a more spiritual existence.'
Old Feb 25th 2007, 8:55 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Some friends of mine had a friend of theirs die early Friday morning, the cremation was on Saturday, and AFAIK the cost was 1300€.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 8:57 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Some friends of mine had a friend of theirs die early Friday morning, the cremation was on Saturday, and AFAIK the cost was 1300€.

which was fairly cheap as Uk prices go