Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Funding PayPal with a UK credit card

Funding PayPal with a UK credit card

Old Dec 29th 2011, 10:37 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Funding PayPal with a UK credit card

I have done what snikpoh has done. UK PayPal linked to UK bank card (but registered to a Spanish address) and a Spanish Paypal linked to a Spanish card. If needs must you can always transfer money to yourself between your two PayPal accts.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 10:40 am

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

You can use an English bank and card so long as your bank has your Spanish address, I use two banks usually, at the moment it is English and Spanish banks but they both have the correct Spanish address on.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by anonimouse
You can use an English bank and card so long as your bank has your Spanish address, I use two banks usually, at the moment it is English and Spanish banks but they both have the correct Spanish address on.
This is what they won't let me do. My UK cards are registered to my spanish address but they won't let me use them That is the whole point of this thread.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
I have done what snikpoh has done. UK PayPal linked to UK bank card (but registered to a Spanish address) and a Spanish Paypal linked to a Spanish card. If needs must you can always transfer money to yourself between your two PayPal accts.
I don't understand how you managed to open a UK PayPal account with a spanish address? Or do you have a UK address for the account but spanish for the cards?
Old Dec 29th 2011, 1:06 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
This is what they won't let me do. My UK cards are registered to my spanish address but they won't let me use them That is the whole point of this thread.
Oh sorry I must have lost the plot again. I don't understand why you are having problems then, I have done it for years. They are a pain in the butt though I agree, sometimes I think they are not worth the bother and their charges are starting to get out of hand just like eBays are too.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Yip same here UK card and Spanish card both have my spanish address.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 1:49 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand how you managed to open a UK PayPal account with a spanish address? Or do you have a UK address for the account but spanish for the cards?
I'm not sure quite what one can and can not do but .....
  • I had a UK account with a UK address, I then changed the card and account delivery address to a Spanish address but it's still a UK card
  • I opened a Spanish account with Spanish card and Spanish address

So, two accounts with one address in Spain.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Same for me!

My English card with Spanish address worked fine until the date expired, it now will not accept the new date and even after removing the details it will not let me use that card with my Spanish address.....
I don't have an English address, so I guess Paypal and I are going to part company!
Old Dec 30th 2011, 4:29 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
Same for me!

My English card with Spanish address worked fine until the date expired, it now will not accept the new date and even after removing the details it will not let me use that card with my Spanish address.....
I don't have an English address, so I guess Paypal and I are going to part company!
why not just set up another account
Old Dec 30th 2011, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by megmet
Same for me!

This is exactly the problem. When I moved to Spain my UK cards were already registered to my UK PayPal account and at that time you were able to change the address on your account to another country. So for 4 years all was fine. Then the cards expired.

Now that the account is a 'spanish' account it won't let me add UK cards even though they are registered to an spanish address. Setting up a new account is not an option because:
A) I don't have a UK address and
B) Even if I did the cards are all registered to my spanish address so it wouldn't accept them anyway.

There does not seem to be a way around this apart from asking someone else to pay for things on Ebay and then reimbursing them. It doesn't seem worth the hassle.

If I ever move back to the UK I couldn't change the address on the account now anyway and would have to set up a new one, so it looks like I might as well close it.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

This is exactly the problem. When I moved to Spain my UK cards were already registered to my UK PayPal account and at that time you were able to change the address on your account to another country. So for 4 years all was fine. Then the cards expired.

Now that the account is a 'spanish' account it won't let me add UK cards even though they are registered to an spanish address. Setting up a new account is not an option because:
B) Even if I did the cards are all registered to my spanish address so it wouldn't accept them anyway.

There does not seem to be a way around this apart from asking someone else to pay for things on Ebay and then reimbursing them. It doesn't seem worth the hassle.

If I ever move back to the UK I couldn't change the address on the account now anyway and would have to set up a new one, so it looks like I might as well close it.
Did you know that you don't actually need a paypal account to pay by paypal. Just an email address. I bill people every day who don't have paypal.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Did you know that you don't actually need a paypal account to pay by paypal. Just an email address. I bill people every day who don't have paypal.
You'll have to explain how that works. If I buy something on Ebay that says 'PayPal' only accepted and I don't have a PayPal account how can I pay them?
Old Dec 30th 2011, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Sorry, I think I need to clarify this.
You obviously need a valid credit or debit card. When I send out a paypal request it goes through paypal to my customers email account. They can then pay using their card by clicking on the request which takes them to paypal. Even if they don't have a paypal account.
Hope this helps. You may need to ask the company you're buying from to send you a paypal request. If you need to send an explanation of why you need this because not all companies are used to doing it this way, just have one ready in your 'sent' folder (by sending a copy to yourself) . Saves loads of frustration. Most companies will happily comply. Those that don't, don't deserve or perhaps don't need your business in these rocky financial times. Look for someone who needs your business more!
Old Dec 30th 2011, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

You'll have to explain how that works. If I buy something on Ebay that says 'PayPal' only accepted and I don't have a PayPal account how can I pay them?
Here's an example:-

Dear [Blah] Please send me a paypal request for your item [blah] including any postage to my Spanish address [Address]

I am unable to 'push' the payment from this end because of problems caused by my move to Spain, meaning that my paypal account is now considered a 'spanish' account and it won't let me add UK cards even though they are registered to my Spanish address. I can still pay by paypal but you need to send me a 'paypal request' from your end.

* By the way, when I have time I'll let you know how to advise your seller how to do this. It may be that my account is different as a business account. not absolutely sure whether private ebayers can do this. Maybe someone else here can test this out?
Old Dec 30th 2011, 10:23 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

It really is very simple.

Set up a UK PayPal account using your English cards with a Spanish address - at least, that's what I did and it worked.

However, they may have changed things since I did this last year!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.