British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Fully integrated? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/fully-integrated-910840/)

spainrico Mar 25th 2018 8:41 am

Fully integrated?

How well have you integrated ?

https://www.203challenges.com/20-sig...-for-too-long/

Also useful for newbies to know what to expect...

tebo53 Mar 25th 2018 11:20 am

Re: Fully integrated?

Originally Posted by spainrico (Post 12469462)

My OH and I certainty fit into most of those categories already after 4 years 🙄

Steve

amideislas Mar 25th 2018 2:53 pm

Yes, well, there's some truths there ;)

But ice and lemonade in red wine? Never would, and haven't seen it before, although wine (red, white, rosado) with fizzy water is fairly common.

I don't watch football. Full stop.

Siesta still irritates me, but I now understand the reasons for it. Besides, it's on its way out. 10 years ago, virtually everywhere would be a ghost town between 13:30 and 16:00, but not so much anymore.

Nowadays, trains and buses pretty much run on time, with an occasional glitch here and there, but yes, nobody seems to get upset about it.

Still don't drink in the daytime. Ok an occasional glass of wine with lunch, but that's it.

Diet has definitely changed. Big meal at around 14:00. Small stuff later. Much later.

Oh, and something not mentioned. I often think and dream in Spanish. German, too. I tend to count in Spanish rather than English. Also German sometimes. Oddly, I'm not that fond of the German language, but it pops up a lot.

And one last point.. The title of the article... "Been in Spain too long". As if you've somehow surrendered a "normal" life. Well, who's version of "normal" is the best? I've been around a bit, done a lot of things, lived "well" for decades in both Britain and Germany, and I just have to say... All things considered, my quality of life has never been better. Ever.

bobd22 Mar 25th 2018 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12469594)
Yes, well, there's some truths there ;)

But ice and lemonade in red wine? Never would, and haven't seen it before, although wine (red, white, rosado) with fizzy water is fairly common.

So never heard of Tinto Verano? Cloudy is with limon non cloudy is with gaseosa which in reality is cheap white lemonade. Very common and popular!

amideislas Mar 25th 2018 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 12469604)
So never heard of Tonto Verano? Cloudy is with limon non cloudy is with gaseosa which in reality is cheap white lemonade. Very common and popular!

Yes, OK... True. My misunderstanding. I've only seen it a the supermarket, though. Don Simon, I believe. I've never seen it in a bar, and nobody's ever served it at a gathering... that I know of.

Sangria, however, may remotely qualify, and it's something I do partake of... When it's good. The resorts tend to serve something they call "sangria" but bears little resemblance.

spainrico Mar 25th 2018 4:21 pm

In the old days when they served a bottle of tinto with a menu del dia they would also always put a bottle of gaseosa to tame it down a bit.

My Spanish lady friend puts ice in her white wine (even in winter)...

bobd22 Mar 25th 2018 4:26 pm

Served all around our area in bars either made up or quite often on tap.

amideislas Mar 25th 2018 5:55 pm

I don't think it's a "thing" here.

But sangria... different kettle. Served everywhere... Not always palatable, but in summer, we make it all the time.. We use good wines, good brandy, locally made orange liqueur, fresh squeezed juices, and fresh cut fruit. And yes, lots of ice.

Oh, now I'm really looking forward to the end of this crappy weather... What a rotten winter it's been!

bobd22 Mar 25th 2018 6:20 pm

My wife has the odd one but prefers a sprizza with white wine and soda water. I must admit a well made sangria can be very pleasant.

Eric S Mar 25th 2018 11:31 pm

Note that some of those things are regional. They may not be done in your area. For example, the tomato and olive oil on toast is more of a thing in the south. It's not really done in the north of Spain.

- Eric S.

Loafing Along Mar 26th 2018 11:45 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12469626)
Yes, OK... True. My misunderstanding. I've only seen it a the supermarket, though. Don Simon, I believe. I've never seen it in a bar, and nobody's ever served it at a gathering... that I know of.

Sangria, however, may remotely qualify, and it's something I do partake of... When it's good. The resorts tend to serve something they call "sangria" but bears little resemblance.

so you have never seen the kids out on the streets at night with 2 ltr Coke bottles containing a Kalimotxo :ohmy::ohmy:

Retired in Euskadi Mar 26th 2018 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by spainrico (Post 12469462)

Didn't think much of her blog about the Basque country. Calling the Basque language Euskadi tells me she knows nothing. If the sum total of what to see in Bilbao is the Guggenheim and the Maritime museum, then she probably has never even been here.
I got the impression, reading her other comments about Spanish regions, that her homework was no deeper than Ladybird books or Janet & John.
In fact, Ladybird books do a better job.

I feel better after that rant!! Sorry.

Retired in Euskadi Mar 26th 2018 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Eric S (Post 12469838)
Note that some of those things are regional. They may not be done in your area. For example, the tomato and olive oil on toast is more of a thing in the south. It's not really done in the north of Spain.

- Eric S.

No, but most bars serve it if you ask. I've yet to find a bar here that doesn't serve it.
By the way, where are you in Guipuzkoa?