Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Fuel consumption - is there any easy rule of thumb conversion?

Fuel consumption - is there any easy rule of thumb conversion?

Old Nov 30th 2009, 4:34 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fuel consumption - is there any easy rule of thumb conversion?

Fuel consumption tips:
Keep a check on your air pressure in your tyres, keep weight to a minimum (check your boot for all the crap you're carrying that you don't realy need), accelerate and deccelerate gently, look ahead to see when you are going to need to brake and gently take pressure off your accelerator (you may not need to stop and therefore not need to accelerate after.
I learnt a lot of this when there was the fuel protests in Wales around 8 or 9 years ago, takes a lot of concentration to drive economicly but it does save a lot of money.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
If you have a calculator handy just divide 281 by the litres/100km figure.
Originally Posted by bob_day
Just type "convert 5 litres per 100km into miles per uk gallon" into google and up will pop the answer - (5 litres) per (100 km) = 56.4962106 miles per Imperial gallon. Dead handy for other quick maths and conversions.

Or try this website URL:-
http://www.convertworld.com/en/fuel-...er+100+km.html
Originally Posted by snikpoh
... or be a true anorak like me and keep the figures in an excel spreadsheet. When your 4x4 only does 15mpg (which, coincidentaly, is about 15L/100Km) then you need to try and do anything to improve this figure - including looking for trends to show that it might need servicing etc.

None of which is a totally practical solution when bored rigid plying up & down the A45

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Fuel consumption tips:
Keep a check on your air pressure in your tyres, keep weight to a minimum (check your boot for all the crap you're carrying that you don't realy need), accelerate and deccelerate gently, look ahead to see when you are going to need to brake and gently take pressure off your accelerator (you may not need to stop and therefore not need to accelerate after.
I learnt a lot of this when there was the fuel protests in Wales around 8 or 9 years ago, takes a lot of concentration to drive economicly but it does save a lot of money.
And above all, be strict with your right foot. (I mean use it less on the accelerator, not apply it to anyone's anatomy)

So, back on topic ...... (I wasn't for a few words there...) I think my vehicle's not doing too badly if scampicat's 15mpg is anything to go by? Mind you of course it depends on whether you have a fair mix of off-road, village, town & motorway or mainly the gas-guzzling 1st three!
Old Dec 1st 2009, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Well what I do to keep my gas consumption down is I don't slam on the gas pedal when I wanna go. And I shift my gears no higher than 2500 RPMs and keep them around 2000 as much as I can. And watch my tire pressure.

Measurement conversions: I just use www.onlineconversion.com it's good to use when you're trying to get grips with metric. I can almost understand °C now! And the liters/100km
Old Dec 1st 2009, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Take the guess work out of all your conversions here ,

http://www.tdiclub.com/misc/conversions.html