Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Fruit Trees in Spain

Fruit Trees in Spain

Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:10 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fruit Trees in Spain

Originally Posted by Pam Sarky
Does anyone have any ideas how to stop crickets eating the leaves on our orange tree? OH is out there now with a broom handle batting them all off the tree Is there anything they dont like, like mozzies dont like citrus etc?
Probably broom handles . ;-))
Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:50 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

They sound more like locusts than crickets!

A good general purpose insect repellant (and it's eco friendly) is Neem Oil.

You can buy it most good viveros. If you Google it you will find that, aledgedly, it cures all ills!
Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

NicCol is on a distinguished road

I notice that poollounger has mentioned pomegranate, I have looked all over for a tree. Has anyone seen them for sale in the chiclana area at all?
Old Sep 18th 2007, 10:09 am
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NicCol
I notice that poollounger has mentioned pomegranate, I have looked all over for a tree. Has anyone seen them for sale in the chiclana area at all?
Pomegranate trees are brilliant! They sell them here in Costa Blanca North in all the garden centres.

I bought 2 small ones for a client 3 years ago and although the client, at the time, thought it was wasted money, now has two beautiful trees that have done extremely well and look great.

Sorry, but I don't know where you would get them in Chiclana.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 10:06 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

I have a dwarf ornamental that I bought in El Tejar on the Conil road. I am sure I have seen the full size trees in Vivero Infraplante on the Florin roundabout. I love the taste of pomegranates but they are a pain to eat and stain badly. I am planning to plant a passion fruit vine. Not the prettiest of flowers, but the fruit seeds steeped in a bottle of rum give it a great flavour.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

NicCol is on a distinguished road

Thanks MnM, its having seen them on the costa brava that I decided I would realy like to grow one, but they don't seem as popular in CDL.

Thanks poollounger, I will have a look in those garden centres, though I didn't see them the last time I was there buying a lemon tree. We actually had a little lime of our tree last week - its amazing how excited we were!

Do the fruit drop off the trees and cause a mess, like figs do?
Old Sep 19th 2007, 1:06 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks MnM, its having seen them on the costa brava that I decided I would realy like to grow one, but they don't seem as popular in CDL.

Thanks poollounger, I will have a look in those garden centres, though I didn't see them the last time I was there buying a lemon tree. We actually had a little lime of our tree last week - its amazing how excited we were!

Do the fruit drop off the trees and cause a mess, like figs do?
They dry, shrivel up and fall if they are not picked and therefore don't make the same sticky mess as figs.

I hope you find one in your area. I think it will give you great pleasure in watching it grow
Old Sep 19th 2007, 2:05 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

We have six limes on our tree which we planted last year. Very healthy and bushy apart from the leaf curl which I spary against but which doesn't seem to have a detrimental effect. I think they need a lot more water than people imagine. There is an orchard adjacent to us with many healthy pomegranate trees. I intend to plant a peach, nectarine and a lemon in time.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 2:48 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MnM
They dry, shrivel up and fall if they are not picked and therefore don't make the same sticky mess as figs.
For a second I thought you were referring to Leighbloke then.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 2:58 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
For a second I thought you were referring to Leighbloke then.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

spanishfamily is on a distinguished road

The good thing about pomegranates and figs is that they look lovely and are very drought-tolerant (useful if we have another summer with water restrictions!).