Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Frontline, Advantage. Do they still work????

Frontline, Advantage. Do they still work????

Old Jun 18th 2007, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Grazy is a jewel in the roughGrazy is a jewel in the roughGrazy is a jewel in the roughGrazy is a jewel in the rough
Default Frontline, Advantage. Do they still work????

Hi All,

I have always had dogs here in Andalucia and I have kept them free of flees by applying Frontline or Advantage.

About a year ago I noticed that neither of these products were working on my dog. I live in Estepona and I also met a lady in Cadiz, who complained of the same problem.

I have a toy Yorkie who is scratching till she pulls her coat out due to flees despite trying the afor mentioned products.

Pleas I need help urgently!

Members please let me know if you can recommend a product either natural or proprietary, which will get rid of my dogs flees. I hate to see her suffer like this!
Old Jun 18th 2007, 6:14 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frontline, Advantage. Do they still work????

Originally Posted by Grazy
Hi All,

I have always had dogs here in Andalucia and I have kept them free of flees by applying Frontline or Advantage.

About a year ago I noticed that neither of these products were working on my dog. I live in Estepona and I also met a lady in Cadiz, who complained of the same problem.

I have a toy Yorkie who is scratching till she pulls her coat out due to flees despite trying the afor mentioned products.

Pleas I need help urgently!

Members please let me know if you can recommend a product either natural or proprietary, which will get rid of my dogs flees. I hate to see her suffer like this!
Hi Grazy and welcome to the forum.

We use Frontline as well and have not had any problems. However, a dog in the neighbourhood did have problems and the owner was told by our vet to put some betadine solution on the affected area. Another one of the vets tips is to put bits of garlic (or garlic powder) daily in with the dogs food. Flees and tics are not garlic fans and as it is in the blood stream of the animals, they tend to leave them in peace.

Best of luck,
Martha
Old Jun 18th 2007, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Grazy is a jewel in the roughGrazy is a jewel in the roughGrazy is a jewel in the roughGrazy is a jewel in the rough

Hi Martha,

Yes! Garlic in the food sounds great. I'll try it out.

A friend has just suggested rubbing in essential oil of lavender (diluted). What do you think?

Regards

Grazy
Old Jun 18th 2007, 6:47 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Martha,

A friend has just suggested rubbing in essential oil of lavender (diluted). What do you think?

Regards

Grazy
I don't know and have never heard of it, but what possible harm could it do?

We have quite a few pet owners here that may be more experienced than myself. I'm sure they will join in soon too
Old Jun 18th 2007, 11:14 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Martha,

Regards

Grazy
Try tea tree oil, I use it on my sheep and they are prone to 10,000 times more bugs than the dog ever could.

Tui also has a bit of teatree on her neck, and in nearly 3 years I have not had one tic, and we live on heathland.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Hi Rugbymatt,

Tea tree oil sounds marvellous with a bit of garlic in her food as well, I feel very optimistic.
Thanks a lot for that.

I have heard that if one applies tea made from "Romero"Thyme (I think.) this will keep parasites away.

Can anybody comment on this please?
Old Jun 19th 2007, 7:42 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rugbymatt,

Tea tree oil sounds marvellous with a bit of garlic in her food as well, I feel very optimistic.
Thanks a lot for that.

I have heard that if one applies tea made from "Romero"Thyme (I think.) this will keep parasites away.

Can anybody comment on this please?
while I am all for "natural" remedies, I have to say that given the many problems that Spain has regarding parasites I wouldn't even risk it.
If you have a flick through the "how did your dog...." thread you will see that people have had some real problems with their dogs.

From a more traditional view, since rosemary and thyme both contain antibacterial qualities then yeah I would say that in theory they may well work.

My dog, as said, has a comprehensive parasite control program as well as some more traditional methods.