Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Freelance Engineer - Help on signing for IVA and IRPF

Freelance Engineer - Help on signing for IVA and IRPF

Old Oct 22nd 2008, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Bigfoot48 will become famous soon enoughBigfoot48 will become famous soon enough
Default Freelance Engineer - Help on signing for IVA and IRPF

Good afternoon all,

I started to work for an engineering company as a freelance engineer last week.

As a freelnace engineer I am told by HR that I have to charge IVA and IRPF on the involice (to be issued on a monthly basis).

I understand that IVA is like VAT in the UK. In the Uk, I had to register for VAT before issuing an invoice- and if I did issue an invoice without the VAT, then I had to pay it out of my wages. It took me several weeks to get the VAt No.

This may be a stupid question - Is there a similar system in place in Spain and does it take as many weeks to get the IVA? What about the IRPF?

I looked up a couple of sites that explained what IVA and IRPF are but not how to sign up for them.

I already have my temporary NIE No.

Many thanks

Bigfoot
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freelance Engineer - Help on signing for IVA and IRPF

Originally Posted by Bigfoot48
Good afternoon all,

I started to work for an engineering company as a freelance engineer last week.

As a freelnace engineer I am told by HR that I have to charge IVA and IRPF on the involice (to be issued on a monthly basis).

I understand that IVA is like VAT in the UK. In the Uk, I had to register for VAT before issuing an invoice- and if I did issue an invoice without the VAT, then I had to pay it out of my wages. It took me several weeks to get the VAt No.

This may be a stupid question - Is there a similar system in place in Spain and does it take as many weeks to get the IVA? What about the IRPF?

I looked up a couple of sites that explained what IVA and IRPF are but not how to sign up for them.

Many thanks

Bigfoot
you need to contact a gestor (accountant) who will take care of the paperwork, register you at the hacienda, IVA and IRPF and explain things to you - where abouts are you ?
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 11:41 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spain
you need to contact a gestor (accountant) who will take care of the paperwork, register you at the hacienda, IVA and IRPF and explain things to you - where abouts are you ?
she's right - you have little to no chance of working all this out for yourself, even is you spoke spanish

even the spanish use a gestor for this sort of thing
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 11:49 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

You'll also be paying €238+ a month "NI" if you are registered as autonomo
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 11:54 am
Just Joined

Bigfoot48 will become famous soon enoughBigfoot48 will become famous soon enough

I am working in Sanchinarro area for an engineering company.

Any idea of an accountant that you coudl recommend?

Many thanks

Bigfoot
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 11:56 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I am working in Sanchinarro area for an engineering company.

Any idea of an accountant that you coudl recommend?

Many thanks

Bigfoot

Google is your friend
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...e+Search&meta=
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks

Bigfoot
IVA is the same as VAT - its charged 16% and as far as I know its not optional

Your NIE number wont change - as far as I know anyway

once you are registered with the hacienda you will get a "No Seguridad Social" which is different to your NIE number

There are different tax systems for different trades/occupations so the gestor will advise whats best

The monthly SS my husband pays is currently 244€ which is the minimum and compulsory
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 1:09 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

IVA is the same as VAT - its charged 16% and as far as I know its not optional

Your NIE number wont change - as far as I know anyway

once you are registered with the hacienda you will get a "No Seguridad Social" which is different to your NIE number

There are different tax systems for different trades/occupations so the gestor will advise whats best

The monthly SS my husband pays is currently 244€ which is the minimum and compulsory
just go to the hacienda.fill the forms in thats basicly you.your card comes in the post.you dont have a vat/iva number.its all on your nie.there is no threshold and you owe the vat from the first euro.but you need a accountant to submit the iva returns and fiddle the books.

there is a way around all this and you will pay half and get your dole at the end when you have paid enough in.but my lips a seeled

Last edited by betris; Oct 22nd 2008 at 1:12 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by betris
just go to the hacienda.fill the forms in thats basicly you.
to be fair going to the hacienda can be a mine field especially if you have none or limited Spanish - far better IMO getting a good gestor to do it for you - and if you have a good one they can advise on "ways around" certain things
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

to be fair going to the hacienda can be a mine field especially if you have none or limited Spanish - far better IMO getting a good gestor to do it for you - and if you have a good one they can advise on "ways around" certain things
A big thank you to all of you for providing a lot of very useful information. The company that I started to work for has already applied and now I have a temporray NIE No. I will be getting a permanent NIE No in Jan 2009. I probbaly have to pay a bit more having to get the NIE No in 2009 even though I have the temporray one in 2008.
My problem is to find a Gestor with good track record, any one know of a Gestor in and near Sanchinarro, please.

Many manythanks

Kind regards

Bigfoot
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 3:29 pm
Senior Moment

A big thank you to all of you for providing a lot of very useful information. The company that I started to work for has already applied and now I have a temporray NIE No. I will be getting a permanent NIE No in Jan 2009. I probbaly have to pay a bit more having to get the NIE No in 2009 even though I have the temporray one in 2008.
My problem is to find a Gestor with good track record, any one know of a Gestor in and near Sanchinarro, please.

Many manythanks

Kind regards

Bigfoot
Did you check the google link I gave you above?
Also, what do you mean temporary and permanent NIE's?
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Did you check the google link I gave you above?
Also, what do you mean temporary and permanent NIE's?
I did but none was there for some reason. I am still looking for employing a Gestor to do my accounts, sort out forms etc.

I also understand that the first approach is to apply for a temporray NIE Nofrom Miniterio de Economia y Hacienda. An appointment willthen be made where you go in a Policfe Station with a completed form (3 copies) Modelo 790 and another form Ex-16 (3 copies) to get your permanent NIE No.

My unsertanding is that I do not need to do anything until I get my permanent NIE then I apply for my SS No etc. Until then I am told that I can use my European health insurance card for access to state Health system.

That all I am told.

Bigfoot
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 1:44 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

It may help you to get copies of your medical records from your UK G.P not the full history which is about fifty pounds just a computer print out of treatments given which is normally free. Your card from the UK is for emergency treatment only. If you company have supplied you with Temp NIE can not that Dept assist re your other needs. May save you some money as first port of call. Fred should be along soon this is his field of expertise. Goods luck with your move. Bring your winter woolies.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Bear in mind that you cannot work for one person or entity as a self-employed person. I believe it is the same situation in the UK. If you have an inspection and all of your invoices are to one client both you and he/they will be for the high-jump even if the rest of your paperwork is in order.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
Bear in mind that you cannot work for one person or entity as a self-employed person. I believe it is the same situation in the UK. If you have an inspection and all of your invoices are to one client both you and he/they will be for the high-jump even if the rest of your paperwork is in order.
Is there an equivalent IR35 in Spain?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.