Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Freedom of Movement After 29 March

Freedom of Movement After 29 March

Old Feb 16th 2019, 12:28 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freedom of Movement After 29 March

Originally Posted by bobd22
I certainly remember border posts on the German Netherland border on each side both pre Common Market and post Common Market.. They were armed but then all police were. They also used to stop trains between the 2 Countries at the borders and check passports etc. I seem to think that by the 80s this had stopped or was of a more cursory nature.
I took the Thalys from Paris to Köln in 2011. The train stopped at the border crossing at Aachen and the Bundespolizei boarded. They walked the length of the train and on the return trip they questioned every non-white passenger, “Ihre Papiere, Bitte”. A group of MENA teenage girls sat in front of me, laden with shopping bags, failed to satisfy the officers and were taken off the train at Köln Hbf in handcuffs to join another dozen or so on the platform.