Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Freedom of Movement After 29 March

Freedom of Movement After 29 March

Old Feb 14th 2019, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

Monkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freedom of Movement After 29 March

Originally Posted by Watchpost
You're absolutely right! You don't understand the issue with freedom of movement.
well having seen the calibre and tone of your posts, please feel free not to reply to mine.
Out!
Old Feb 14th 2019, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Watchpost
You're absolutely right! You don't understand the issue with freedom of movement.
Yup, that can be the only conclusion after reading the post.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Monkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
Yup, that can be the only conclusion after reading the post.
Says the person who’s only contribution to the thread is ‘ Sad’.
At least I speak from a position of having lived in Europe prior to Schengen. What would your experience be? Do you really think it is going to be so hard to move between countries? Have you ever travelled outside of Europe and seen how ridiculously easy it is? Or is your travel limited to Spain Post Schengen?

By the way I am not agreeing with the folk in the video despite their views. And even if I did I wouldn’t be so rude as to call them thick and stupid.

It was a vote and their vote counted.

Old Feb 14th 2019, 5:50 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It’s not so much freedom of movement that could change, its the freedom to stay put.

Yes, many of us have all travelled around Europe before the EU with no real problems. Under EU laws we have been restricted to only staying in one country for 90 days without some form of registration. This rule was optional, and some countries, especially the UK, chose not to implement it and we all now know what problems that has created. In Spain, although, in theory, these do apply they are (not yet) enforced to any degree.

After Brexit, especially with a No Deal, this could change significantly as the 90 day rule is more likely to be enforced and the rule for “third country” citizens is that, under the Shengen rules, you can only stay for 90 days in a 180 day period. That somewhat screws up the plans of those Brits that retire to their holiday homes for 6 months in the winter. Yes, the EU rules do, in theory, limit you to 90 days, but by leaving the country for a day trip to Portugal, the clock is reset. As this is impossible to check or enforce, people generally stay as long as they like. The 180 day rule could change this.

Of course, individual EU states can change these rules, as the UK have done in the past, so no doubt Spain will take the pragmatic view (as they often do) that they are happy for the Brits to stay as long as they like, so long as they keep spending money.

We will see.

Old Feb 14th 2019, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Monkey104

Says the person who’s only contribution to the thread is ‘ Sad’.
At least I speak from a position of having lived in Europe prior to Schengen. What would your experience be? Do you really think it is going to be so hard to move between countries? Have you ever travelled outside of Europe and seen how ridiculously easy it is? Or is your travel limited to Spain Post Schengen?

By the way I am not agreeing with the folk in the video despite their views. And even if I did I wouldn’t be so rude as to call them thick and stupid.

It was a vote and their vote counted.

I lived in Europe prior to the EU honey and I remember traffic jams and long waits on the borders. I also remember the wall that separated my home into two countries. I remember people being shot because they wanted to cross that border.
Things are not set in stone. They change. And as a non EU citizens you will be just a foreigner at the mercy of foreign governments. They might let you stay if you behave. They might kick you out. They might charge you for private health care. They might close their borders for you and guard them with their guns. They might introduce visa for you and limited the number of visas as Switzerland has announced it will do for UK citizens after Brexit. You lost the freedom of movement. That was the vote. Stop whining about it and apply for the proper visa.

Old Feb 14th 2019, 8:04 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Stop whining about it and apply for the proper visa.
I get the distinct impression the person you're responding to isn't whining and is saying he's perfectly prepared to apply for whatever visa might be required

Old Feb 14th 2019, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

This idea that Brits are too valuable for Europe to lose them is exactly what the Brexiteers thought at the beginning of the negotiations and they made a terrible miscalculation . The European Union has shown that it is principles on which it is built that come first. Spain will treat Brits reciprocally. In Other words they will rightly protect the interest of their own nationals abroad in the UK over any financial benefits the Brits bring to spain
Old Feb 14th 2019, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

I lived in Europe prior to the EU honey and I remember traffic jams and long waits on the borders. I also remember the wall that separated my home into two countries. I remember people being shot because they wanted to cross that border.
Things are not set in stone. They change. And as a non EU citizens you will be just a foreigner at the mercy of foreign governments. They might let you stay if you behave. They might kick you out. They might charge you for private health care. They might close their borders for you and guard them with their guns. They might introduce visa for you and limited the number of visas as Switzerland has announced it will do for UK citizens after Brexit. You lost the freedom of movement. That was the vote. Stop whining about it and apply for the proper visa.
I believe that in your hurry to knock up an answer you have mistakenly come to the conclusion that I was concerned about the freedom of movement. I am not. Please calm down.
p.s I am not sure that your first sentence has anything to do with Brexit,more like Communism, Democracy, East/West Germany and trust me I also remember it well.
But we really are grasping at straws if you are attempting to compare the two!
Old Feb 15th 2019, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
As Churchil once said - "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
I like it. He also said "Democracy is the worst form of government....except for all the others"
Old Feb 15th 2019, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Wonder where you lived having experienced all those traffic jams prior to EU or Schengen? If it was DDR, then it has nothing to do with pre EU. I do not remember traffic jams and borders guarded with guns in pre free movement times other than when crossing into DDR.
I almost get the impression from your posts I've read that you really hate Brits the way you rant on about them. Let Brits worry about their future. No need for you to get your knickers into a twist over Brexit.
Old Feb 15th 2019, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
Wonder where you lived having experienced all those traffic jams prior to EU or Schengen? If it was DDR, then it has nothing to do with pre EU. I do not remember traffic jams and borders guarded with guns in pre free movement times other than when crossing into DDR.
I almost get the impression from your posts I've read that you really hate Brits the way you rant on about them. Let Brits worry about their future. No need for you to get your knickers into a twist over Brexit.
As a EU citizens I have the right to worry about Brexit in case you haven't noticed Brexit also effects Europeans. I don't hate Brits. Please don't put your thoughts in my mouth. Keep them in your head. Thank you.

With regards to border controlls. I experienced them as recently as 2015/2016 after border controlls were temporarily reintroduced because of the refugee crisis. I also saw border guards with guns. I even see them at airports in the US. I actually think armed guards are fairly common at borders with controls.

Last edited by Assanah; Feb 15th 2019 at 11:00 am.
Old Feb 15th 2019, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Monkey104

I believe that in your hurry to knock up an answer you have mistakenly come to the conclusion that I was concerned about the freedom of movement. I am not. Please calm down.
p.s I am not sure that your first sentence has anything to do with Brexit,more like Communism, Democracy, East/West Germany and trust me I also remember it well.
But we really are grasping at straws if you are attempting to compare the two!
Ok, so I misread your post. I apologize.
Old Feb 15th 2019, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly remember border posts on the German Netherland border on each side both pre Common Market and post Common Market.. They were armed but then all police were. They also used to stop trains between the 2 Countries at the borders and check passports etc. I seem to think that by the 80s this had stopped or was of a more cursory nature.
Old Feb 15th 2019, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I certainly remember border posts on the German Netherland border on each side both pre Common Market and post Common Market.. They were armed but then all police were. They also used to stop trains between the 2 Countries at the borders and check passports etc. I seem to think that by the 80s this had stopped or was of a more cursory nature.
Even between Spain/France you have a border checkpoint. The only difference is that they aren't there all the time but you'll often see armed police at night checking every passing vehicle.
Old Feb 16th 2019, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

How right you are 1sexsmith to think that the Spanish believe we Brits. are such good value that they will do anything to keep us here..... as we "spend so much money".Take a look where Brits. spend money,British bars,British restaurants in Benidorm,Torrevieja & Estapona etc. Yes, we do buy property & add to the Spanish economy but an oldie like myself also might need need a new hip or knee replacement soon& there are loads of us in this situation.Some of my family members are Spanish nationals & they are as pleased to welcome all the other nationalities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.