Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Free Prescriptions with E121

Free Prescriptions with E121

Old May 11th 2008, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

raddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant future
Default Re: Free Prescriptions with E121

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Sorry, do not know the price of them. Most medicines are cheaper here though.

Rosemary
I'm hoping that with the change in the pace of life and a healthy mediterranean diet the drugs will become a thing of the past.
Old May 11th 2008, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by raddickle
The tablets I take are Lisinopril for B/P and Simvastatin
My husband takes lisinopril 20mg and just paid 9.35 euros for a pack of 28. Don't know about the simvastatin.

Rosemary
Old May 11th 2008, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Palmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
My husband has paid 3 different prices for the same drugs in different pharmacies. Sometimes they are identical manufacturers but different costs, sometimes the same drug in a different box at a different price. So I think the advice to shop around is good.

Rosemary
Thank you! Why, when twice now i have posted some true advice, it gets treated by a few as an untruth?

The price on the box has often had a white coated metallic/magnetic strip over the price section. This is fact-not fiction. And as Rose has confirmed, they can be identical maunufacturers, bt different costs also.

All i can say is it happens regularly! The same as contraceptive pills. "Femodene" (gynovin) in spanish is €18 for 3 months in one pharmacy....and €26 in another! Fact!
Old May 11th 2008, 11:26 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Absolutely - there is no possible way you can be charged different prices for standard drugs.
Sorry ..... I always shop around and the prices are nearly always different.
Old May 12th 2008, 12:02 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
My husband has paid 3 different prices for the same drugs in different pharmacies. Sometimes they are identical manufacturers but different costs, sometimes the same drug in a different box at a different price. So I think the advice to shop around is good.

Rosemary
Check what is in the tablets, maybe different strength.
Old May 12th 2008, 12:33 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

How do the costs of prescriptions compare with UK. When I come out to Spain I will need to get tablets for high B/P and Statins which I will have to pay for.

I take Clortalidona for high blood pressure and when I was paying for the prescriptions they were the grand sum of 45 centimos!

However, it depends on what drugs you have, there is not a set prescription charge like in the UK.
Old May 12th 2008, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

The tablets I take are Lisinopril for B/P and Simvastatin
OH takes Lisinopril and he thinks he pays about €7??
Old May 12th 2008, 12:56 am
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

As we pay for all our farmacia stuff without any E121 or whatever, it increasingly amazes us that the price over the counter here is so often less than the price we would have paid for a prescription in the UK. Different of course if you are eligible for free prescriptions in the UK but we wouldnt qualify.
Old May 12th 2008, 2:29 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by El Capitan
As we pay for all our farmacia stuff without any E121 or whatever, it increasingly amazes us that the price over the counter here is so often less than the price we would have paid for a prescription in the UK. Different of course if you are eligible for free prescriptions in the UK but we wouldnt qualify.
In the UK it was the same .... we had an honest chemist and they would often tell us it was cheaper to buy it without the prescription, presumably less paperwork for them
Old May 12th 2008, 2:46 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

I'm hoping that with the change in the pace of life and a healthy mediterranean diet the drugs will become a thing of the past.

If XTreme gets on your case you will be back on the tablets
Old May 12th 2008, 3:27 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Palmera
Thank you! Why, when twice now i have posted some true advice, it gets treated by a few as an untruth?

The price on the box has often had a white coated metallic/magnetic strip over the price section. This is fact-not fiction. And as Rose has confirmed, they can be identical maunufacturers, bt different costs also.

All i can say is it happens regularly! The same as contraceptive pills. "Femodene" (gynovin) in spanish is €18 for 3 months in one pharmacy....and €26 in another! Fact!
With the twenty six euro packet you do get a weekend away in the honeymoon suite
Old May 12th 2008, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Palmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
With the twenty six euro packet you do get a weekend away in the honeymoon suite

Bargain, i´m packing me bags!!!
Old May 12th 2008, 7:07 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Palmera

If you buy prescription drugs over the counter then the price is on the box so there is no difference where you buy it.

You cannot obscure the price on the box because if you have a prescription, the chemist has to cut off the price tab and send it back to the health authorities to claim his money back. The price is put on the box by the manufacturer - it's not just a price ticket stuck on by the chemist.

There are often different manufactures of the same drug and they are free to charge different prices but if you buy a specific prescription drug (in Spain you can often do this without a prescription) then the price IS fixed. The doctor may well only prescribe the cheaper generic alternative (just like the UK) but it still has a fixed price.

Contraceptive pills are not necessarily "prescription" drugs and the price does not have to be on the box. This applies to many "over the counter" drugs.

The difference in Spain is that you can buy drugs over the counter that in the UK would only be supplied on a prescription (antibiotics are a good example). These are the ones that have a controlled price.

Last edited by Fred James; May 12th 2008 at 7:12 am.
Old May 12th 2008, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Have you not read all the replies above of people, including myself, who are contradicting you Fred?

Please accept our comments as fact, as i am sure we all have better things to do with ourselves than "make this up"
Old May 12th 2008, 9:40 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not saying you are making this up but it is a fact that prescription drugs in Spain have the price printed on them by the manufacturer.

Last edited by Fred James; May 12th 2008 at 10:06 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.