Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Free Prescriptions with E121

Free Prescriptions with E121

Old May 9th 2008, 1:36 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation
Default Re: Free Prescriptions with E121

Originally Posted by scampicat
AFAIK if your wife's prescriptions are free then yours should be too.

I am in the same position as you - I am my husband's dependent for medical cover and I had red prescriptions this morning.

Thanks Scampicat Hope I don't need them for now but good to know
Old May 9th 2008, 10:24 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free Prescriptions with E121 UPDATE!!

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
Hi Scampi

I just may catch you whilst you are on line my wife is over 60 and has free prescriptions ie red ones no problem there, I am 57 and have just gone through the system and attached myself onto her as her dependant I am registered with the local health centre having had my forms stampted at the INSS and am just waiting for my blue card. In short will I have to pay or will they be free.
Yours will be free as are hers, as long as one of you is of pension age, and you got the E121 from Newcastle making sure you are included as dependent, then yours will also be free, I was in the very same position, and am still below the UK pension age, but get totally free health care and prescriptions.
Old May 9th 2008, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light
Question Re: Free Prescriptions with E121

I've just read this thread and clearly I'm missing a trick here. My husand is 65 and takes medication which he has been buying from the local pharmacy by waving his pill packets at them. We've been here 6 months and neither of us has been to a doctor or registered with one yet. We did take out health insurance with Aresa because it seemed cheaper than any of the companies offering ex-pat insurance from the UK. They offered an english speaking helpline and had an english website (which seems to have disappeared recently).

My husband doesn't have an E121, whatever that is. From what I've read it sounds as though he should get this and we should both get medical cards. Sorry to seem very stupid but how do you go about this? Advice please

Rosemary
Old May 9th 2008, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
I've just read this thread and clearly I'm missing a trick here. My husand is 65 and takes medication which he has been buying from the local pharmacy by waving his pill packets at them. We've been here 6 months and neither of us has been to a doctor or registered with one yet. We did take out health insurance with Aresa because it seemed cheaper than any of the companies offering ex-pat insurance from the UK. They offered an english speaking helpline and had an english website (which seems to have disappeared recently).

My husband doesn't have an E121, whatever that is. From what I've read it sounds as though he should get this and we should both get medical cards. Sorry to seem very stupid but how do you go about this? Advice please

Rosemary
An E121 is a form from the Dept of Work and Pensions giving holders free health care in Europe. One of you needs to be of UK pensionable age and then both are covered to receive the same benefits as Spanish pensioners which enables you to register with a Doctor and have free prescriptions. You can get the information from the DWP website.
Old May 10th 2008, 1:41 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose

Rosemary

Rosemary if you telephone them monday or over the weekend leave an e/mail via their website they will send you all the forms you need they are very very helpful. When you get the forms go to a gestor who will put them though your local Spanish health office and get the forms stamped when you see the gestor you need to take with you proof of address which you get from your local ajuntament together with passport or residency the cost for two is about 30 euros its worth it as they know the system and saves you queuing
if you do it yourself and the papers are not in order you are sent away. When you get back the papers take them to your local health centre and they will register you both and give you a temp card pending arrival of the blue card. If you are younger than 60 and you sound as if you are then you can be attached on your husbands as he is of pensionable age. When you call Newcastle have your national insurance number ready. I have just gone through this process and it saved me 181 euros every two months for private care. Good luck and any probs just drop a line hereon I think if you look in free beer there are lots of links there

The Pension Service International Pension Centre (IPC) deals with queries about United Kingdom benefits payable to overseas customers.
International Pension Centre contact details
Phone +44 191 218 7777
8am to 8pm (GMT), Monday to Friday
Fax +44 191 218 7381
8am to 8pm (GMT), Monday to Friday or their website www.thepensionservice.gov.uk
Old May 10th 2008, 3:03 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't get our E121s until we'd been here for six months either, Rosemary. I wrote to the International Pension Centre only after having read about the E121 and E106 in a leaflet I'd brought with me from England. I didn't know whether either of us were entitled to any free healthcare at this point - I was simply enquiring. We were (and still are ) below State Retirement age.

Initially they sent us both a Form E106. We were both eligible for this as we had paid enough NI Contributions in the UK, but it had an expiry date on it of January 2007. However we did register these at our local INSS office and got the health card.

Then the Pension Service decided that they had made a mistake with my husband. As he is on Long-Term Incapacity Benefit, although he is below State Retirement age, he is entitled to an E121 which will last for as long as he is on the Benefit . If he becomes a Pensioner whilst on IB, his E121 cover will continue indefinitely. We also registered this one with the INSS office.

When my E106 expired in January 2007, I rang the Pensions Service and asked if there was any other way I could be covered, although I am only 58, and they have covered me on hmy husband's E121 as I am his dependent. They sent him another E121 with my name on which we registered in Motril INSS.

When I am 60 in January 2010 I will be entitled to an E121 in my own right.

Hope this helps.

You should be entitled to free prescriptions with this cover.
Old May 11th 2008, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

Palmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud of

...and just some advice for those of you who do have to pay. Shop around different pharmacies if it is regular medication as the charges vary enormously! for example, cimetidina in one pharmace 11.98e, another 9.95e and another last week €5.20!!!
Old May 11th 2008, 9:09 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Palmera
...and just some advice for those of you who do have to pay. Shop around different pharmacies if it is regular medication as the charges vary enormously! for example, cimetidina in one pharmace 11.98e, another 9.95e and another last week €5.20!!!
The price is on the boxes, so should be the same where ever.
Old May 11th 2008, 9:43 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Absolutely - there is no possible way you can be charged different prices for standard drugs.
Old May 11th 2008, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jdr
My husband has paid 3 different prices for the same drugs in different pharmacies. Sometimes they are identical manufacturers but different costs, sometimes the same drug in a different box at a different price. So I think the advice to shop around is good.

Rosemary
Old May 11th 2008, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
Rosemary if you telephone them monday or over the weekend leave an e/mail via their website they will send you all the forms you need they are very very helpful. When you get the forms go to a gestor who will put them though your local Spanish health office and get the forms stamped when you see the gestor you need to take with you proof of address which you get from your local ajuntament together with passport or residency the cost for two is about 30 euros its worth it as they know the system and saves you queuing
if you do it yourself and the papers are not in order you are sent away. When you get back the papers take them to your local health centre and they will register you both and give you a temp card pending arrival of the blue card. If you are younger than 60 and you sound as if you are then you can be attached on your husbands as he is of pensionable age. When you call Newcastle have your national insurance number ready. I have just gone through this process and it saved me 181 euros every two months for private care. Good luck and any probs just drop a line hereon I think if you look in free beer there are lots of links there

The Pension Service International Pension Centre (IPC) deals with queries about United Kingdom benefits payable to overseas customers.
International Pension Centre contact details
Phone +44 191 218 7777
8am to 8pm (GMT), Monday to Friday
Fax +44 191 218 7381
8am to 8pm (GMT), Monday to Friday or their website www.thepensionservice.gov.uk
Thanks thats extremely helpful, we'll get on to it straight away.

Rosemary
Old May 11th 2008, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

raddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant future

How do the costs of prescriptions compare with UK. When I come out to Spain I will need to get tablets for high B/P and Statins which I will have to pay for.
Old May 11th 2008, 9:12 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raddickle
How do the costs of prescriptions compare with UK. When I come out to Spain I will need to get tablets for high B/P and Statins which I will have to pay for.
Depends what you are taking for your B/P. I am on two different ones and there is a huge difference in the prices between them. Mine work out at roughly a third of the cost of prescriptions in UK.

Rosemary
Old May 11th 2008, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

raddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Depends what you are taking for your B/P. I am on two different ones and there is a huge difference in the prices between them. Mine work out at roughly a third of the cost of prescriptions in UK.

Rosemary
The tablets I take are Lisinopril for B/P and Simvastatin
Old May 11th 2008, 9:17 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raddickle
The tablets I take are Lisinopril for B/P and Simvastatin
Sorry, do not know the price of them. Most medicines are cheaper here though.

Rosemary

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.