British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   FREE HEALTH CARE SPAIN (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/free-health-care-spain-584520/)

harryharvey Jan 15th 2009 2:25 pm

FREE HEALTH CARE SPAIN

Can anyone help me,I live in spain {cataluna}I have no pension and don't own a property in the uk.my medical centre tells me i need a form to state these fact's so i can get free medical care and presciptions.does anyone know how i get this form and where?

Hillybilly Jan 15th 2009 3:11 pm

Re: FREE HEALTH CARE SPAIN

Are you pre or post retirement age?

Mitzyboy Jan 15th 2009 3:22 pm

Yes, whether you are of retirement age is an important factor.
The forms you need if you are of retirement age will need to be gained from the UK DWP - Overseas Medical Benefits section

harryharvey Jan 16th 2009 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Hillybilly (Post 7172320)
Are you pre or post retirement age?

I AM 57

harryharvey Jan 16th 2009 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 7172388)
Yes, whether you are of retirement age is an important factor.
The forms you need if you are of retirement age will need to be gained from the UK DWP - Overseas Medical Benefits section

I am 57

Hillybilly Jan 16th 2009 8:05 am

In that case you are not entitled to free health care in Spain although, if you have just moved here from the UK AND your UK NI contributions were up to date you may be entitled to up to 2 years free health care. For this you need from E106.
Then, until you become entitled by virtue of being of retirement age (when you need from E121), you will need private health insurance.
http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...althcare/e106/
(...unless you are working and paying SS contributions here in Spain of course in which case you do have free entitlement.)

Mitzyboy Jan 16th 2009 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Hillybilly (Post 7175650)
In that case you are not entitled to free health care in Spain although, if you have just moved here from the UK AND your UK NI contributions were up to date you may be entitled to up to 2 years free health care. For this you need from E106.
Then, until you become entitled by virtue of being of retirement age (when you need from E121), you will need private health insurance.
http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...althcare/e106/
(...unless you are working and paying SS contributions here in Spain of course in which case you do have free entitlement.)

Unless you live in the Valencia region, where a contributory scheme is in the planning

intheknow Jan 16th 2009 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 7175657)
Unless you live in the Valencia region, where a contributory scheme is in the planning

I've seen this email today:

"Where British subjects in the Valencian Community are in possession of the Valencian Health Card by virtue of the agreement made whereby persons who had not reached pensionable age and were not contributing to the Valencian system were eligible to receive health care, an expiry date for this care would be the 15th January, 2009. It is understood that this date has been extended indefinitely.

Should further clarification be sought please contact the Valencian
Health Authority, Tel 900 662 000."

Hillybilly Jan 16th 2009 5:28 pm

He said he lives in Catalonia, not Valencia.

snikpoh Jan 16th 2009 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 7175657)

As I understand it, this will still cost around the 240euro mark (same as being self employed) but it will only cover the individual and not the entire family.

Originally Posted by intheknow (Post 7176595)
I've seen this email today:

"Where British subjects in the Valencian Community are in possession of the Valencian Health Card by virtue of the agreement made whereby persons who had not reached pensionable age and were not contributing to the Valencian system were eligible to receive health care, an expiry date for this care would be the 15th January, 2009. It is understood that this date has been extended indefinitely.

Should further clarification be sought please contact the Valencian
Health Authority, Tel 900 662 000."

This only applies to those that already have the appropriate Health Card. We have lived here two years now and our SIP card expires next month. We are NOT entitled to the cover mentioned above (unless someone can show me otherwise)!

I would be interested to here from anyone who is not of retirement age, is not in employment and who gets a new SIP card after that date.

Mitzyboy Jan 16th 2009 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 7177764)
As I understand it, this will still cost around the 240euro mark (same as being self employed) but it will only cover the individual and not the entire family..

In which case its far far cheaper to have private health insurance

Fred James Jan 17th 2009 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 7179050)

That's true, but the difference is that the proposed system will cover pre-existing medical conditions which private insurance will not.

Mitzyboy Jan 17th 2009 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 7179866)
That's true, but the difference is that the proposed system will cover pre-existing medical conditions which private insurance will not.

yes thats a good point, but for those who dont have any I guess the choice is obvious, would be half the cost for me

gardner8 Jan 17th 2009 7:45 am

The proposed 250 euros is per quarter not per month but has not yet been verified.

Peter B Feb 3rd 2009 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 7179050)

Can anyone recommend a good (and cheap) health insurance plan. The cheapest I could find for me and my wife, a couple of 40 year old non smokers, was €1,500 a year.