Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Foxes in Valencia province

Foxes in Valencia province

Old Mar 7th 2010, 10:46 am
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Foxes in Valencia province

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair
Not here in this part of Spain apparently. You can't go killing foxes you need to know if they are a protected species. Our previous predators were hungry illegal immigrants who were orange pickers.

My dad has a rabbit and guinnea pig that live outside and there is a fox always trying to get them at night. He shuts them in the green house at night.
He's never been able to catch that pesky fox and it's been over two years now. He doesn't want to poison it but he'd like to catch it.
They're just dead cunning and sly. Like the stories in the kids books.
It might be a mean neighbour. Foxes kill everything if they can.

Last edited by Lushdaddy; Mar 7th 2010 at 10:49 am. Reason: I forgot to put the word 'PIG' in..
Old Mar 7th 2010, 11:03 am
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by xxfrecklesxx
Hi , I dont know where you are, but im in Bocairent...

last night I had a visit from the fox... it took 9 hens and 2 cockerals ...leaving 5 hens... though all the bodies were gone, and just piles of feathers left.... im gutted..

its not the first time the fox has visited in the 4 years ive been here, but they have never left a body,

my hen house has an automatic door which closes at dusk, but the batteries must of gone dead, must get some duracel as they last 2 years, these were kodak ones, must of last only 6 months.... (mine free range in the day)

wish I could go fox hunting here...
I don't want to sound horrid and I love animals (not cats though) so I am sorry to hear that anyone loses their animals/poultry etc..
It sounds a bit wierd that the foxes would leave piles of feathers (plucked?) and managed to get around the security door. (killed the battery?) Foxes are inclined to kill everything that they can. (Not usually electrical components).
I'm not saying it wasn't a fox but be aware that people can take your poultry and make it look like foxy woxy has been a bad boy.
Like I say I love animals and even foxes need a bit of backing from time to time.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 6:39 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread!
Old Mar 7th 2010, 7:04 pm
HOODIE

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Great thread!
Is that sarcasm??
Old Mar 7th 2010, 7:30 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Point taken ,however pen might have been a better description c/w roof, as foxes can be pretty handy at jumping, climbing and generally finding a way over or even under fences.

Yer I know I wrote it all rather clumsy.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

You can shoot and trap foxes if they are killing your poultry , but remember that poultry should always be locked up every night before dusk!

Also be aware in some campo areas you will find foxes of the two legged variety
Old Mar 13th 2010, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fionamw
... which I mentioned! If Elspeth (or her husband) builds an amalgam of our suggestions - unless of course they're totally put off keeping poultry by the Zorro experience - they'll likely get it about right!
We have a custom, built block hen house built inside what was a dog run with a 7 foot fence but after the human predators broke in and collected the sleeping hens off their perches and clubbed the geese, turkey and ducks with iron bars, the survivors took to the orange trees and during the day laid eggs in the hen house. We've now got the remaining ones locked up but hopefully we will let them out during the day when my husband is working there. However we're not breeding any more. My husband is an Orkney crofter so he's not easily put off and I'm a stubborn Glaswegian .
Old Mar 13th 2010, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

xxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lushdaddy
I don't want to sound horrid and I love animals (not cats though) so I am sorry to hear that anyone loses their animals/poultry etc..
It sounds a bit wierd that the foxes would leave piles of feathers (plucked?) and managed to get around the security door. (killed the battery?) Foxes are inclined to kill everything that they can. (Not usually electrical components).
I'm not saying it wasn't a fox but be aware that people can take your poultry and make it look like foxy woxy has been a bad boy.
Like I say I love animals and even foxes need a bit of backing from time to time.

Yes im sure it was foxes, Ive seen a few round here. And often find their droppings around the hen house.
The door is automatic and is on a timer and light sensor, so it normally opens at 9am... and then as is starts to get dark it closes, but the morning I found the chickens gone and the feathers everywhere, I decided to check the batteries for the door and they were flat/dead, so the door had not closed allowing the foxes to get in and take them.....

Ive found foxes here different to the UK ones, where there they tend to kill for fun and then take just a head.... here they kill and take everything... plus it could of been more than one..

No one would come up here in the dead of night (im in the middle of know where) and if they did the dogs would hear the car and bark.

Funny thing is... Ive got a rabbit, who escaped 16 months ago, and Ive never been able to catch her, so she lives free, but nothings ever caught her, though she does bolt under the barn door if something startles her..
Old Mar 13th 2010, 5:54 am
HOODIE

Yes im sure it was foxes, Ive seen a few round here. And often find their droppings around the hen house.
The door is automatic and is on a timer and light sensor, so it normally opens at 9am... and then as is starts to get dark it closes, but the morning I found the chickens gone and the feathers everywhere, I decided to check the batteries for the door and they were flat/dead, so the door had not closed allowing the foxes to get in and take them.....

Ive found foxes here different to the UK ones, where there they tend to kill for fun and then take just a head.... here they kill and take everything... plus it could of been more than one..

No one would come up here in the dead of night (im in the middle of know where) and if they did the dogs would hear the car and bark.

Funny thing is... Ive got a rabbit, who escaped 16 months ago, and Ive never been able to catch her, so she lives free, but nothings ever caught her, though she does bolt under the barn door if something startles her..
Well then, in my face I guess.
I shan't back the foxes this time, I shall be on the chickens side.
At least the foxes aren't wasteful, if you want to look at it that way, my uncle has had a lot of trouble with his chickens and foxes in the uk. Many a time they have killed all of the chickens.

I'm glad your rabbit is still running round too. One in the face for the foxes.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 6:29 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Ive found foxes here different to the UK ones, where there they tend to kill for fun and then take just a head....
Are you sure they were foxes in the UK that were the main problem in the UK?What you describe seems more like the calling card of a stoat or even a weasel or polecat.
Foxes usually do tend to take away at least one bird for food, even if they kill the rest just for the hell of it.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 7:37 am
HOODIE

Are you sure they were foxes in the UK that were the main problem in the UK?What you describe seems more like the calling card of a stoat or even a weasel or polecat.
Foxes usually do tend to take away at least one bird for food, even if they kill the rest just for the hell of it.
What about the taking heads business? What kind of animal takes heads?
Old Mar 13th 2010, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

xxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nice

When I lived in the UK (in the city) a fox got in through a hole in the fence (made that day buy the council) it killed 4 hens, left 2 half dead, 2 slightly injured, attacked the 2 ducks we had....and yes all that was missing was 1 head.....

perhaps I should get myself some foxhounds and saddle up the horse...
Old Mar 13th 2010, 7:53 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lushdaddy
What about the taking heads business? What kind of animal takes heads?
Suggest you read my post again lushdaddy.
What are you on tonight?
Must be good.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 7:58 am
On the road again.

When I lived in the UK (in the city) a fox got in through a hole in the fence (made that day buy the council) it killed 4 hens, left 2 half dead, 2 slightly injured, attacked the 2 ducks we had....and yes all that was missing was 1 head.....

perhaps I should get myself some foxhounds and saddle up the horse...
Thats using a sledgehammer to crack a nut,freckles..
There are much simpler means.
Reckon you just want to storm around the countryside raising hell.
Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease.
Only joking of course,...... well partly anyway...
Old Mar 13th 2010, 8:24 am
HOODIE

Suggest you read my post again lushdaddy.
What are you on tonight?
Must be good.
I was actually asking if you knew. Sorry dude, I didn't mean to sound like I was picking at anything. Freckles said some of her birds had their heads taken, and I only know of other animals killing birds, I have heard of full bodies taken but not just heads. I was wondering if any animals actually take heads away. To eat. Sorry for being unclear in my question.. We cool..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.