Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Foxes in Valencia province

Foxes in Valencia province

Old Mar 7th 2010, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of
Default Foxes in Valencia province

Over the last week my husband's geese, ducks and hens have been massacred by a fox or foxes. Heads gone and in most cases bodies left behind. I phoned the police to see if there were any sitings or complaints by other campo owners. They promised to get in touch with the deparment of wildlife who they said would phone us but nobody has. Three years ago we saw a fox in the village at the rubbish bin and one Spanish neighbour said there were foxes along the riverbank which lived in caves but he had never heard of sitings in the village. Our remaining poultry are now locked up which is sad because they liked to sleep in the trees. Can anyone help?

Last edited by elspeth sinclair; Mar 7th 2010 at 2:54 pm. Reason: typing error
Old Mar 7th 2010, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foxes in Valencia province

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair
Over the last week my husband's geese, ducks and hens have been massacred by a fox or foxes. Heads gone and in most cases bodies left behind. I phoned the police to see if there were any sitings or complaints by other campo owners. They promised to get in touch with the deparment of wildlife who they said would phone us but nobody has. Three years ago we saw a fox in the village at the rubbish bin and one Spanish neighbour said there were foxes along the riverbank which lived in caves but he had never heard of sitings in the village. Our remaining poultry are now locked up which is sad because they liked to sleep in the trees. Can anyone help?
It's sad when poultry gets killed, particularly if you've taken great care in your husbandry. Unfortunately I don't understand what help you are looking for? Foxes live in the campo, and will kill poultry wherever - country or village - if they get the chance. I think you've been lucky that the hens etc were able to live out thus far; in our experience foxes were wily enough to pace about below tree-perchers & almost 'hypnotise' them out of their branch..... Why would the dept of wildlife get in touch with someone who's had a fox visit? It's just a fact of country life, unfortunately.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fionamw
It's sad when poultry gets killed, particularly if you've taken great care in your husbandry. Unfortunately I don't understand what help you are looking for? Foxes live in the campo, and will kill poultry wherever - country or village - if they get the chance. I think you've been lucky that the hens etc were able to live out thus far; in our experience foxes were wily enough to pace about below tree-perchers & almost 'hypnotise' them out of their branch..... Why would the dept of wildlife get in touch with someone who's had a fox visit? It's just a fact of country life, unfortunately.
Not here in this part of Spain apparently. You can't go killing foxes you need to know if they are a protected species. Our previous predators were hungry illegal immigrants who were orange pickers.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

I have a friend who keeps geese and chickens up in the mountains near Guadalest and they lose them occasionally to foxes. They also have trouble with wild boar.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 4:29 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

There isn't really much choice, is there? Either you fence and lock up for the night or else you are running a fox restaurant.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

xxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nice

Hi , I dont know where you are, but im in Bocairent...

last night I had a visit from the fox... it took 9 hens and 2 cockerals ...leaving 5 hens... though all the bodies were gone, and just piles of feathers left.... im gutted..

its not the first time the fox has visited in the 4 years ive been here, but they have never left a body,

my hen house has an automatic door which closes at dusk, but the batteries must of gone dead, must get some duracel as they last 2 years, these were kodak ones, must of last only 6 months.... (mine free range in the day)

wish I could go fox hunting here...
Old Mar 7th 2010, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair
Not here in this part of Spain apparently. You can't go killing foxes you need to know if they are a protected species. Our previous predators were hungry illegal immigrants who were orange pickers.
Killing one fox might not stop another, though.... anyway, better luck with any future poultry you get & make sure the bottom of the fence is well dug under - they're pesky little critters!
Old Mar 7th 2010, 6:51 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

There are foxes everywhere. Our neighbours simply lock up the hens at night and also have a good fence too. Oh don't forget the Eagles will also take hens etc. You cannot just shoot them can you?
Old Mar 7th 2010, 7:24 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Its a certain fact that having succeeded once, they will be around on a regular basis to see what else is on the menu.
I would say that the only practical alternative is to compromise by building a reasonable sized foxproof pen attached to their coop and just keep a maximum of about six,....more than adequate for the average household.
Maybe two meters high so they can stretch their wings or perch high up if they wish,... sides and top covered with penwire, plus protection to prevent burrowing under the sides.
Alternatively a slightly smaller pen that can regularly be moved onto fresh ground.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 7:29 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
There are foxes everywhere. Our neighbours simply lock up the hens at night and also have a good fence too. Oh don't forget the Eagles will also take hens etc. You cannot just shoot them can you?
Generally foxes hunt from late evening through to early morning.
However this is not always the case and they can be opportunist daytime also, if the terrain,cover and lack of security meet their requirements.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 7:37 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Generally foxes hunt from late evening through to early morning.
However this is not always the case and they can be opportunist daytime also, if the terrain,cover and lack of security meet their requirements.
That is why I said.....

Old Mar 7th 2010, 8:39 pm
On the road again.

That is why I said.....
Point taken ,however pen might have been a better description c/w roof, as foxes can be pretty handy at jumping, climbing and generally finding a way over or even under fences.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Point taken ,however pen might have been a better description c/w roof, as foxes can be pretty handy at jumping, climbing and generally finding a way over or even under fences.
... which I mentioned! If Elspeth (or her husband) builds an amalgam of our suggestions - unless of course they're totally put off keeping poultry by the Zorro experience - they'll likely get it about right!
Old Mar 7th 2010, 9:30 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Foxes where chickens are kept...what else would you expect when you are in the campo, WTF it happens everywhere.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 10:19 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Foxes where chickens are kept...what else would you expect when you are in the campo, WTF it happens everywhere.
True enough,...foxes will be foxes wherever they may be, and most folk keeping livestock out in the campo for the first time tend to learn their lessons the hard way, be it in Spain the UK or wherever.
Must admit to being outfoxed or otherwise on the odd occasion too careless or complacent myself many moons ago.
However I don't hold a grudge or begrudge the creatures a living, and find it interesting how they are now moving into large city suberbs in quite big numbers and adapting to urban environments,..to obtain a better standard of living I imagine,....from poor country cousin up to middle class suburbia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.