Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Form S1 - How long does it last?

Form S1 - How long does it last?

Old Mar 15th 2013, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Form S1 - How long does it last?

Hi, I keep reading that the form S1 will last for 'up to 2.5 years'. What are the rules on this? I know all NI contributions have to be up to date but what else is required to get the full 2.5 years for healthcare?
Old Mar 15th 2013, 6:25 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Form S1 - How long does it last?

Originally Posted by tebo53
Hi, I keep reading that the form S1 will last for 'up to 2.5 years'. What are the rules on this? I know all NI contributions have to be up to date but what else is required to get the full 2.5 years for healthcare?
It's to do with the amount of NI contributions made previously & how recently

from http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...lthcare/#early

Early retiree living in Spain

If you are an early retiree in Spain you can apply for an S1 form (previously E106). The length of time you’ll be covered depends on your contributory record in the UK, but with a full record cover will normally last up to two and a half years from the day you stop work.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly - its on a pro rata system. UK DWP will give you a quote and details.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, Thanks for your replies. I have paid full NI for all my working life, never missed a beat. I'm now 62 so paid for 47 years. It says 'will normally last for 2.5 years' I want to retire as early to Spain as possible. My query was to ask generally if anyone knew what was needed to make it a certainty to last the full term.
Regards, Steve
Old Mar 15th 2013, 12:32 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, Thanks for your replies. I have paid full NI for all my working life, never missed a beat. I'm now 62 so paid for 47 years. It says 'will normally last for 2.5 years' I want to retire as early to Spain as possible. My query was to ask generally if anyone knew what was needed to make it a certainty to last the full term.
Regards, Steve
probably that's what's needed - if it isn't I'd be surprised if there's anything you can do about it

just the the DWP a call and ask them - they will be able to tell you what your entitlement will be
Old Mar 15th 2013, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

I also paid NI all my life but as I stopped work six months before we came to SPAIN I got less than 2 years, hence the "up to" figure, it doesnt last beyond that, If you are coming over without a pension you will have to have private medical insurance after it has run out until you get your pension
Old Mar 15th 2013, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks everybody for your replies. I'll ring DWP and hopefully if I work up until I can move out there I can possibly get there a few months earlier than first thought! Can't Wait!!
Regards to all
Steve
Old Mar 15th 2013, 1:03 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
I also paid NI all my life but as I stopped work six months before we came to SPAIN I got less than 2 years, hence the "up to" figure, it doesnt last beyond that, If you are coming over without a pension you will have to have private medical insurance after it has run out until you get your pension
Or you can apply for "sin recurso"
Old Mar 15th 2013, 1:20 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Or you can apply for "sin recurso"
yes, after you've been here until it runs out - not when you just arrive though....

actually that has made me wonder - under the new rules you have to have income & healthcare provision in order to register - if/when the S1 expires would you in fact be allowed to apply for healthcare 'sin recursos'?

those who have been here since before the new rules could argue that they could, because there was no such requirement for healthcare provision when they registered - but new registrations would have known that there was the requirement, so I guess it could be argued that they should have no call on the public purse when it expires............

am I making any sense?
Old Mar 15th 2013, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks all, By the time I've sold up etc. I will be coming up to about 63 yrs so if I can get 2 yrs or so on the S1 then that will take me up to retirement age so no need for any private cover. I will need to re-apply for a new S1 to cover retirement.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 8:59 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
yes, after you've been here until it runs out - not when you just arrive though....

actually that has made me wonder - under the new rules you have to have income & healthcare provision in order to register - if/when the S1 expires would you in fact be allowed to apply for healthcare 'sin recursos'?

those who have been here since before the new rules could argue that they could, because there was no such requirement for healthcare provision when they registered - but new registrations would have known that there was the requirement, so I guess it could be argued that they should have no call on the public purse when it expires............

am I making any sense?

I would have thought so. What if you got a job (after S1) and then, through no fault of your own, lost it ,.....
Old Mar 16th 2013, 9:06 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all, By the time I've sold up etc. I will be coming up to about 63 yrs so if I can get 2 yrs or so on the S1 then that will take me up to retirement age so no need for any private cover. I will need to re-apply for a new S1 to cover retirement.
Will your retirement age still be 65 at that time, with the changes that mean a later age coming in.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi, Yes, I keep checking on the government retirement age calculator and for my birth date I still retire at 65. On the other hand my Wife's retirement age has shot up from 60 to 66 in a matter of 18 months!!
Old Mar 17th 2013, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Sausages is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are married/partners and your partner is receiving state pension am I not right in thinking you can be their dependent?
Old Mar 17th 2013, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sausages
If you are married/partners and your partner is receiving state pension am I not right in thinking you can be their dependent?
Well I don't know if it works for "partners", but certainly for a married couple if one is in receipt of a state pension then the other becomes their dependent, they therefore can access free health care here in Spain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.