Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Foolish to consider move to Spain?!!

Foolish to consider move to Spain?!!

Old Jun 21st 2016, 10:53 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foolish to consider move to Spain?!!

The OP was not asking about Mallorca so please do not spar with each other about it.

To the OP. I agree with Pica. My grandson was very delayed with his reading until an inspired teacher offered him and a few others the opportunity to read a particular book that he thought might encourage an interest. It did so I bought him the full set which he read very quickly and moved on to another set of books immediately. When something interests them they seem to blossom.

Rosemary
Old Jun 21st 2016, 11:07 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Rosemary, I was only offering a perspective from my side. But I was trying to stay on topic, despite the encouragement to wander off in a sparring match...
Old Jun 21st 2016, 11:37 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Sorry Rosemary, I was only offering a perspective from my side. But I was trying to stay on topic, despite the encouragement to wander off in a sparring match...
Thank you for giving the OP an insight into what it is like in Mallorca because it is always good to have information about various areas.

Rosemary
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 12:24 am
Just Joined

rdr31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you. And thanks for the advice re reading, it does seem to be lack of concentration/intrest that is the issue! He seems okay when reading words I've written, but with a book he struggles.

Thanks again for all the advice.
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Thank you for giving the OP an insight into what it is like in Mallorca because it is always good to have information about various areas.

Rosemary
And sorry for wandering off, but it was more in relation to the comment "few signs of hardship"

Just thought it's not a great comparison, but always good to get to know different parts of Spain.
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by rdr31
Thank you. And thanks for the advice re reading, it does seem to be lack of concentration/intrest that is the issue! He seems okay when reading words I've written, but with a book he struggles.

Thanks again for all the advice.
Sounds like he may also have a little internal panic when faced with a book so even more important to find something that would interest him enough to get over his fears. May be worth buying some second hand books and cutting them down into pages so that he only sees one page at a time, less traumatic, more manageable. Good luck.

Rosemary
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

Cllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond repute

If he can read words that you have written, but struggles with a book, could it be the size of the text. Is his eye sight ok. I myself had this problem when I was very young. Children don't realize that they have a problem as they think it's just the norm. Just a thought.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 4:37 am
Just Joined

I didn't think of that, perhaps so! I'll try with some different font sizes/styles. Thanks for the idea.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 6:40 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there
My eldest son was not interested in reading at all in primary school :-( - he was a nightmare - we used to take things away as punishment but it didnt work he just did without lol - we talked to school who were not very forth coming with any useful advice at the time so took it upon ourselves to try and sort out - he was interested in trucks and wagons so we took a subscription out on a truck and wagon magazine for him - it worked - he started to want to learn to read as he was interested in it - is there anything that interests your lad and maybe do something similar - a computer magazine maybe like minecraft or something - car magazines - anything at all that takes his fancy - fingers crossed you can engage the little monkey in something - big hugs xxxxx
Old Jun 25th 2016, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

Farbeit from me to make light of educational problems, as a retired schoolteacher I know them only too well, but I do think that income and employment are more important. There is always the option of some private tuition on a temporary basis to " boost" his literature/ language skills, when you are established. Things do seem to be picking up, even here in inland Andalucia, which has suffered badly from the crisis. Good luck. P.S Comic Sans script is thought to be the best for children with reading difficulties.
Pete.

Last edited by teuchterpete; Jun 25th 2016 at 7:52 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2016, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the great ideas. I took him to a book shop and let him pick a couple of books, fingers crossed he will be a little more interested in those.

Are tutors easy to come by in Spain?
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 10:49 am
Just Joined

Suzyd is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Firstly do not worry about your son's reading. He will do it in his own time, my daughter was the same and now is 7 and way above her age group for reading.
Also do not worry about your son learning Spanish. I took 6 children to Spain to live for 4 1/2 years, none of them could speak the language. My 3, 4 and 5 yr old were fluent within 6 months of being in school.
I do recommend your son attending a Spanish school for him to be able to integrate into the Spanish way of life much more quickly.
The school structure is very good and I love how the teachers interact with the little ones and are not afraid to sit them on their knee and given them a cuddle.
I have visited quite alot of Spain, so if I can help in any way please let me know.
I am currently in the U.K. but honestly I have really become to hate it here and will be returning to Spain to live by the end of the year!
Go for it, but do live as the Spaniards do and your money will last so much longer...Good luck

Last edited by Suzyd; Jul 2nd 2016 at 10:51 am.
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Suzyd
Hi,
Firstly do not worry about your son's reading. He will do it in his own time, my daughter was the same and now is 7 and way above her age group for reading.
Also do not worry about your son learning Spanish. I took 6 children to Spain to live for 4 1/2 years, none of them could speak the language. My 3, 4 and 5 yr old were fluent within 6 months of being in school.
I do recommend your son attending a Spanish school for him to be able to integrate into the Spanish way of life much more quickly.
The school structure is very good and I love how the teachers interact with the little ones and are not afraid to sit them on their knee and given them a cuddle.
I have visited quite alot of Spain, so if I can help in any way please let me know.
I am currently in the U.K. but honestly have really have become to hate it here and will be returning to Spain to live by the end of the year!
Go for it, but do live as the Spaniards do and your money will last so much longer...Good luck
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Suzyd is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Rosemary
Old Jul 12th 2016, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Chui is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rdr31
Sorry perhaps that came across wrong. He is 5, and in reception (1st yr). He isn't struggling, but is slightly behind with his reading. He is fine in all other aspects. It is the attitude of the schools I don't like, they are so pushy and too worried about the government than the pupils . We (my husband and I), are of course helping with his reading in all ways that we can, but unfortunately you can't be good at everything!
Sorry to jump in with something not connected to the move but...

I had the same trouble with my son at the same age. I realised that he was so bright he was finding the way they taught reading at school too boring and slow.So I took it on myself to supplement it at home. I used humour, utter nonsense and references to our own lives and pets to engage him. It worked. He found he had to read in order to find out what rubbish (or items of relevance to him personally) I had written! This was many years ago.

Apologies again. :-) We are actually looking at moving to Spain too, within a few months, and trying desperately to work out where is best for us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.