Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Food Parcels to old people

Food Parcels to old people

Old Jan 16th 2021, 11:34 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Food Parcels to old people

Originally Posted by spainrico
So the bottom line is they moved to the wrong part of Spain - ie too Spanish and not British enough - should have gone to Torrevieja or Benidorm.
It sounds to me like the OP's parents are very much enjoying where they're living. Enjoying food from their country of origin occasionally doesn't negate that at all.
Old Jan 16th 2021, 11:40 am
Just Joined

muggit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spainrico
So the bottom line is they moved to the wrong part of Spain - ie too Spanish and not British enough - should have gone to Torrevieja or Benidorm.
No, they've gone to exactly where they wanted to be, but every now and then would just like some old-country comforts

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I think it's so lovely of you to do this for your parents. There's no nicer gift than something you know will be appreciated and enjoyed, and that goes double when you put time and effort into it as you are. Your parents are very lucky to have you
Thank you - I would say three times a year (their birthdays and chrimbo) I send them a box of stuff I know they miss and periodically they ask me to send a few staples like teabags and mustard powder - sometimes people just like what they like, regardless of where they live.
Old Jan 16th 2021, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Would the drug squad dogs at customs be up to recognising such items as PG Tips, Angel Delight etc?
When I was young uncles and aunts in the farming line would send a Turkey or goose through the post from Ireland to the UK wrapped with brown paper and string. It would be handed over by the postman leaking blood, we would then hang it on the back of a door until needed.
I'm not suggesting resorting to crime but is there not another way? I bet Brexit will not trouble those taking illicit substances, I'm not talking gravy granules here. Just a thought.
Old Jan 16th 2021, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jonboy
Would the drug squad dogs at customs be up to recognising such items as PG Tips, Angel Delight etc?
The main issue with it even getting that far is the customs declaration v the terms of the carrier - the carrier won't take foodstuffs so declaring it would cause them to reject the parcel and there's now a customs declaration to be filled out now which states I certify all info to be true/correct etc.
Until 31/12 there was no declaration so everything was sent 'household goods'. Now, you have to complete commodity codes for all the contents.
Old Jan 16th 2021, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by muggit
Hi

My folks recently moved to Spain and I've been sending them critical supplies (bisto, angel delight etc) for the last couple of years - Is that still possible now?
Just tried Parcel2Go and their documents say no food - Is that no food whatsoever, or are they just being cautious?
For what it costs buy them some food , pack it up and post it with the Post Office , make sure everything is in original packaging and do a customs declaration , the worst that can happen is you lose the food , no big deal.
Old Jan 16th 2021, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

This is true - I already bought the stuff, it'll cost another £20 ish to find out I guess.

According to P2G, Hermes don't object to food, only perishable food - and this is all dry/powdered this time

The only concern is the statement at the bottom of the P2G packing lists;

Might have to try it and see what happens - I can book a collection despite stating the parcel contains food (or at least using the commodity code for food) so from that point of view, the customs declaration would be truthful...

Last edited by Rosemary; Jan 16th 2021 at 10:11 pm. Reason: Link had to be deleted because it was not showing properly.
Old Jan 17th 2021, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

cermignano is an unknown quantity at this point

My sister sends favourite teabags to her son in Madrid. They are not perishables so is that ok still? You need a Declaration for anything. My son has just sent his Irish Passport Appication from London to Dublin. He had to get a declaration which was no bother
Old Jan 17th 2021, 7:39 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

You would need to pack parcels following this advice and try and avoid these items (in Spanish) as they can cause the parcel to be inspected.
Old Jan 17th 2021, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DLC
You would need to pack parcels following this advice
Thanks, I had seen that page, but it's dated 2106 and might not all be relevant since Brexit

Originally Posted by Rotor
For what it costs buy them some food , pack it up and post it with the Post Office , make sure everything is in original packaging and do a customs declaration , the worst that can happen is you lose the food , no big deal.
I think that's the philosophy I'm going with at present - I'm not going to use the food (and bought it already) so may as well give it a go.

Old Jan 22nd 2021, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Alectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud of

I sill like to have some British food and used to buy from a company in the UK and get it shipped out. It was expensive and delivery was quite long and expensive. I recently discovered a company in Alicante that sells a wonderful array of British and north European food. I had a problem only inasmuch as paying on-line was tiresome and frustrating but they sent me their bank account number number and I did a trnsfer from my local bank. Last Thursday afternoon I sent them an email asking for them to check that payment had been made. They did and they despatched my order immediately and I received it the following morning. All of the frozen stuff was packed in dry ice and received in perfect condition. Just type Eurodrop into your search engine and you will see what is available (unfortunately no Angel Delight). No delivery charges on orders ove €50.
Old Jan 22nd 2021, 12:28 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alectryon
I sill like to have some British food and used to buy from a company in the UK and get it shipped out. It was expensive and delivery was quite long and expensive. I recently discovered a company in Alicante that sells a wonderful array of British and north European food. I had a problem only inasmuch as paying on-line was tiresome and frustrating but they sent me their bank account number number and I did a trnsfer from my local bank. Last Thursday afternoon I sent them an email asking for them to check that payment had been made. They did and they despatched my order immediately and I received it the following morning. All of the frozen stuff was packed in dry ice and received in perfect condition. Just type Eurodrop into your search engine and you will see what is available (unfortunately no Angel Delight). No delivery charges on orders ove €50.
That is great service :-)

Old Jan 22nd 2021, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Alectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud of

Yes indeed considering that it is a four and a half hour drive from Alicante to my house.
Old May 2nd 2021, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Quck update on shipping stuff - The teabags took a month to arrive with DPD; shipped 22/01, arrived 25/02 - this service took about a week door-to-door before the great exit
They got to Spain in a couple of days and were then stuck in customs for the rest of the time, despite the import charges being paid around day 10.

Latest parcel was despatched with UPS on 12/04, scanned in France 15/04, scanned in Madrid 19/04 and hasn't moved since. No request for customs fees yet either.
At the time of booking, the estimated delivery date was 19/04

Parcel2Go only offer a couple of services to Spain now, 1-3 days for £50+ (plus extra 'remote destination' surcharges), a couple of 3+ day services for similar prices and a Parcel Force 5 day economy.
Until 31/12 there were loads to choose from, including DPD, Hermes etc, but they no longer offer a service to Spain.
Not sure why Spain is a problem; for Gemany, Greece and Portugal there are still loads of carriers to choose from, but only 4 for Spain now.

Old May 2nd 2021, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Just looked at Eurodrop, there really is one born every minute!
Old May 3rd 2021, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Have you (or they) looked on Amazon Spain, not cheap but its all there (when in stock). We were flying from Cardiff a couple of years ago and a family was stopped and customs found a suitcase full of Greggs Corned Beef pasties they had 'for a mate' living out there...brits and brit food for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.