British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Floor coverings, rugs etc. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/floor-coverings-rugs-etc-685043/)

paintermujer Sep 12th 2010 11:35 am

Floor coverings, rugs etc.

I would have thought that because the floors in spain are tiled a lot of the time other coverings such as rugs would be plentiful.

But no. There appears to be very little choice and the prices are very high for not that good quality.

I guess people within reach of somewhere of Crevillente would be OK for choice and price.

But in general what have your experiences been when buying rugs etc.

A gap in the market maybe?

whitelinen Sep 12th 2010 11:46 am

Re: Floor coverings, rugs etc.

Having lived on the outskirts of Valencia for 10 years I think may just be a particular problem to area in and immediately around Valencia
as there are rugs available and huge choices in other areas of Spain.

Try googling alfombras españa and should return quite a few online retailers plus some of the catalogues La Redoute etc have them.

Rosemary Sep 12th 2010 12:05 pm

If you have been looking recently you are possibly just a little early. The Carrefours at Alzira and Gandia usually open up a large tent outside the store or a large area inside the store selling rugs of all sizes. I have also seen loads in the markets around the area.

Rosemary

noelrosie Sep 12th 2010 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by paintermujer (Post 8842574)
I would have thought that because the floors in spain are tiled a lot of the time other coverings such as rugs would be plentiful.

But no. There appears to be very little choice and the prices are very high for not that good quality.

I guess people within reach of somewhere of Crevillente would be OK for choice and price.

But in general what have your experiences been when buying rugs etc.

A gap in the market maybe?

We went to our local Bricorama last week and they had a fantastic collection of rugs, both small and large ranging in price from 15€ to 200€ in all colours. In the past we found some quite nice examples in Casa!

paintermujer Sep 12th 2010 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by The Oddities (Post 8842603)
If you have been looking recently you are possibly just a little early. The Carrefours at Alzira and Gandia usually open up a large tent outside the store or a large area inside the store selling rugs of all sizes. I have also seen loads in the markets around the area.

Rosemary

We bought a large rug last winter but still had little choice.

But my latest rug bargain was from Aldi of all places.The offer is on at the mo and you can buy a lovely large long pile rug for 60 euros. We bought 2 of them.:thumbsup:

But in general def very little choice around here and lots of synthetic ones.

jojojojojo Sep 12th 2010 12:31 pm

There are loads of rugs on sale where we live (maybe its just coming into that time of the year), Carrefour, Ikea, leroy merlin, the chinese shops, todo shops, the markets......... various qualities, colours, sizes and prices

Jo xxx

elspeth sinclair Sep 12th 2010 12:44 pm

Every house in Spain I bought carpets for and in Oliva market they had a great variety to suit all pockets but come the summer I took them up because They were getting bogged down with sand from the beach and in the winter were full of cat hair and dogs bones etc so I gave them away. When I moved to Valencia I bought wonderful ones in Continente at the sales but with four cats and a dog I have found a good home for them, the carpets not the animals, and decided that they are things I do not really need. My Spanish neighbours never walked on them, just around them. I often wondered what they would make of fitted carpets.

steviedeluxe Sep 12th 2010 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by whitelinen (Post 8842584)
Having lived on the outskirts of Valencia for 10 years I think may just be a particular problem to area in and immediately around Valencia
as there are rugs available and huge choices in other areas of Spain.

Try googling alfombras españa and should return quite a few online retailers plus some of the catalogues La Redoute etc have them.

I agree totally, at least I saw plenty of shops in Madrid selling Alfombras etc.

One thing to note: Spanish shops tend to be more rigid as regards sales offers and their timing. For a big purchase I would recommend waiting for the official rebajas/sales period in January. It's not generally like the UK where (it seems) certain shops, especially furniture shops, can have sales at any time of year.

Lynn R Sep 13th 2010 11:29 am

The only rugs I ever use in my house are cotton, washable bedside rugs and only for the very coldest months - I find any other kind just get too dusty and dirty.

montgomail Sep 13th 2010 12:42 pm

Might be worth having a look in Habitat in Valencia City.

lynnxa Sep 13th 2010 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Lynn R (Post 8844588)
The only rugs I ever use in my house are cotton, washable bedside rugs and only for the very coldest months - I find any other kind just get too dusty and dirty.

exactly

once you buy rugs you need a vacuum cleaner too - especially if you have pets

Rotor Sep 13th 2010 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by lynnxa (Post 8844749)
exactly

once you buy rugs you need a vacuum cleaner too - especially if you have pets

I find small dogs and cats get stuck in the nozzle:rofl:

lynnxa Sep 13th 2010 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Rotor (Post 8844756)
I find small dogs and cats get stuck in the nozzle:rofl:

:omg_smile: