Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Fishy Tale, shocking waste.

Fishy Tale, shocking waste.

Old Mar 1st 2011, 11:27 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fishy Tale, shocking waste.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12608381

I briefly watched this little clip on BBC this morning by Hugh Whittingstall.
Apparently it is fairly common practice for half of the EU fish catches to be thrown back dead into the sea.

Basically once a boat has caught it's quota of cod for instance, it continues fishing to fill up its quota on other species, by which time it may have pulled in double it's cod quota and then proceeds to throw half of them back dead into the sea, even though they may be prime top quality fish.

EU Regulations, need I say more ? Shocking.

That's their idea of preserving fishing stocks.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 12:16 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishy Tale, shocking waste.

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly

Apparently it is fairly common practice for half of the EU fish catches to be thrown back dead into the sea.

Basically once a boat has caught it's quota of cod for instance, it continues fishing to fill up its quota on other species, by which time it may have pulled in double it's cod quota and then proceeds to throw half of them back dead into the sea, even though they may be prime top quality fish.

Like a lot of people, you make the mistake of thinking that they give a shit.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 3:11 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly

Jamie Oliver did a programme about this subject a few weeks ago. They brought the fish into port and cooked it to show the people what is being wasted due to silly regulations.

The campaign is called the Big Fish Fight.

http://www.fishfight.net/jamie-oliver/
Old Mar 1st 2011, 3:29 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I've been banging on about this for weeks now, I have a link to it on my website... not that any of you have been on my website but just saying like...

Its a really complex issue, I am a huge fish fan and our local fish deli have been doing a "Fish for a fiver" deal for years, you get some amazing fish from it and its always been quite popular but low and behold, the week after the HFW show came out, the range of fish available suddenly dropped and its now "Fish for £5.50".... gotta love it.

The concept is brilliant but in truth its going to be really complex to restructure and since the Spanish and now the Chinese don't give two shits about the quota system then it won't matter a jot... still, if it gets some more unusual fish in the markets then thats fine with me, only just finished a nice bit of Dab meself.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

reggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I've been banging on about this for weeks now, I have a link to it on my website... not that any of you have been on my website but just saying like...

Its a really complex issue, I am a huge fish fan and our local fish deli have been doing a "Fish for a fiver" deal for years, you get some amazing fish from it and its always been quite popular but low and behold, the week after the HFW show came out, the range of fish available suddenly dropped and its now "Fish for £5.50".... gotta love it.

The concept is brilliant but in truth its going to be really complex to restructure and since the Spanish and now the Chinese don't give two shits about the quota system then it won't matter a jot... still, if it gets some more unusual fish in the markets then thats fine with me, only just finished a nice bit of Dab meself.
So you gonna tell us your website?