Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

First trip back to the UK

First trip back to the UK

Old Jul 28th 2007, 2:25 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute
Default First trip back to the UK

Hey all,

As you may know i moved out to Spain in April, and in a few weeks Im taking a trip back to the UK for the first time.

How was everyones first trip back? Was it emotional? Were you really looking forward to going? When you got there did you just wanna get back to spain or stay longer in England?

Its like weeks away but Im really looking forward to going "home". I havnt been on the coast that many months yet, so the UK where all my family is still kinda feels like home and im just away for a while. Ive just been really looking forward to the trip, dreaming about it and stuff. Hope when i get there i dont want to stay! I dont think i will, ive been to Lisbon and Berlin since moving to spain and ive missed the coast and been wanting to go back!

Im actually driving back, as some may know from a few months ago i was going to drive to spain but had an unfortunate car accident before I came here. So Ive bought a car in Spain now and need to drive back to get my stuff and get some mods done to the car I just wanna conquer the drive too! It should be fun.

Im only going for a week, its also going to be emotional seeing my ex and her baby again. As some of you may remember i came out here first in a view of them following me. Sadly we broke up, but my stuff is still in that house so i have to go back there anyway. We are being friendly now anyway.

Should be such a surreal experience. Im out here different place, different people, i kinda feel like im a different person myself. And going back to see all the old people and old place is going to be a strange feeling.

Looking forward to seeing my family again though i really am.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 2:55 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: First trip back to the UK

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
Hey all,

As you may know i moved out to Spain in April, and in a few weeks Im taking a trip back to the UK for the first time.

How was everyones first trip back? Was it emotional? Were you really looking forward to going? When you got there did you just wanna get back to spain or stay longer in England?

Its like weeks away but Im really looking forward to going "home". I havnt been on the coast that many months yet, so the UK where all my family is still kinda feels like home and im just away for a while. Ive just been really looking forward to the trip, dreaming about it and stuff. Hope when i get there i dont want to stay! I dont think i will, ive been to Lisbon and Berlin since moving to spain and ive missed the coast and been wanting to go back!

Im actually driving back, as some may know from a few months ago i was going to drive to spain but had an unfortunate car accident before I came here. So Ive bought a car in Spain now and need to drive back to get my stuff and get some mods done to the car I just wanna conquer the drive too! It should be fun.

Im only going for a week, its also going to be emotional seeing my ex and her baby again. As some of you may remember i came out here first in a view of them following me. Sadly we broke up, but my stuff is still in that house so i have to go back there anyway. We are being friendly now anyway.

Should be such a surreal experience. Im out here different place, different people, i kinda feel like im a different person myself. And going back to see all the old people and old place is going to be a strange feeling.

Hi Andrew

It's been a long time since we have talked, glad you are keeping well and your life has been busy. I'm sure your first trip back to Blighty will be both emotional and tiring for you. I now the first time I went back I felt overwhelmed at seeing my kids again and went through all the overwhelming feelings again when I left them, but boy once I was back at Stanstead waiting for the flight I was mega excited at coming home again here to Chiclana.

All I will say to you Andrew is, enjoy the time you have there, expect to feel the old heart strings being pulled when you meet up with family and friends, but I bet when you are there through all the emotions of seeing everyone you will still be thinking I can't wait to get back to Spain because that is where my life is now.

Much love and I wish you well on your journey, be safe
Crispy
Old Jul 28th 2007, 5:15 pm
Run Forrest, Run.....

Rocky Balboa is on a distinguished road

The drive is a piece of cake, I've done it a few times, avoid Paris at all costs.

First time I went back I was really looking forward to it but nothing had changed when I got there, everyone still moaned about the weather, their job, lack of money etc etc, after four days it felt like I'd never moved away and I couldn't wait to get out of the place. I found people were just jealous of my new life style and didn't want to listen to me talking about it or if they did just made negative comments that made them feel better.

I find the longer you are here in Spain the bigger the gap gets between visits.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 5:43 pm
Drunken Monkey

Fuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm here in UK now, this is my first trip back. I feel as though I've got back into the UK way of life already, my cat remembers me and is all over me right now. I didn't look forward to the visit back to be honest! But everythings the same, just family is shocked how brown I am compared to before. Can't wait to get back in Spain though goodluck with your visit.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 6:00 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't been back since January, but will be soon. Quite looking forward to seeing everyone actually, although we have had a stream of people over here for the summer!
Old Jul 28th 2007, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

BriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant future

I never lived anywhere else but the same town in Somerset for 40 odd years.
As soon as I got back I knew it was no longer home, just didn’t feel like it anymore. Good to see friends and stuff but home? Nah not anymore!
Couple of bits on driving through France.
1. Use the toll roads, costs but worth it. (not sure how vigorously they enforce the speed limits)
2. Echo previous comment avoid Paris and its orbital horrible at all times.
3. Fill up with fuel before you cross the border into France, was a lot more expensive last time I was there.
4. Need some accommodation on route try http://www.hotelformule1.com/formule1/index.html cheap and clean.

Safe Journey
Old Jul 28th 2007, 6:17 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

we've been back 3 times, first two in winter, everywhere so grey and dismal, though it would be better this summer, but still the same, there just seems to be no colour around, and everyone seems in too much of a hurry. We certainly think of Spain as home now, and we have two lots of visitors still to come over this year.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 6:30 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

We went back a couple of weeks ago, we drove and used the michelin guide. Somehow we got into the orbital route around Paris - IN A THUNDERSTORM!!!! It was HORRIBLE Petrol was between 1.39 and 1.46 euros in France on the motorways so definitely fill up before you leave Spain. The motorways are brill and the service stations are great Even have showers in some of them Passports checked on the way there but not on the way back, as it was on our trip over in May, NO CHECKS

We've been over since 12th May and only went back to sort out the sale of our house and to collect some of the stuff we had to leave behind (the only reason we drove) Hubby says - NEVER AGAIN We hit a thunderstorm outside Paris on the way home and passing by Salou another tremendous thunderstorm. Never seen so much rain!! They have had loads of rain in England but it only rained lightly overnight on one of the nights we were there, lovely and sunny the rest of the time.

We intended staying a week but came home to Spain after two days - we went into town and bumped into loads of people who asked us how we were getting on, told them how good it is and what wonderful weather (had to get that in) then we heard the weather forecast for the weekend - more rain - so set off back on Thursday after staying only two days!

How did we feel about going back - it's good to be home (in Spain )
Old Jul 28th 2007, 6:49 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I've been back only once, about 4 months after we came over

it made me realise that we had absolutely done the right thing, & great as it was catching up with mates in person, we couldn't wait for the few days to be over
Old Jul 28th 2007, 9:29 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Hey all,

Hi Andy

Nice to hear from you again , all i would add is drive safely !! and be interesting to read your post when you have been back , see how you feel etc.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 9:57 am
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

THanks for your responses guys, really overwhelming how many people just get there and then cant wait to be back in spain again!! thats cool and im sure ill probably feel the same!

Thanks for your tip about avoiding paris, looking at the map it seems you can go another way without it being too many more miles so i will definately take that route.

Ive done the paris orbital before, its pretty busy. Dont really have time for traffic jams
Old Jul 29th 2007, 10:00 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

THanks for your responses guys, really overwhelming how many people just get there and then cant wait to be back in spain again!! thats cool and im sure ill probably feel the same!

Thanks for your tip about avoiding paris, looking at the map it seems you can go another way without it being too many more miles so i will definately take that route.

Ive done the paris orbital before, its pretty busy. Dont really have time for traffic jams
I spent three hours trying to get around the periferique Amiga ...... If you're going to Calais I'd go via Nimes, Lyon, past Dijon, Troyes, Reims, Calais.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 10:23 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Andy did you buy another Seat in the end??
Old Jul 29th 2007, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute

Hey all,

Good luck hun xxxxx
Old Jul 31st 2007, 11:25 am
In Estepona

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Andy did you buy another Seat in the end??
Yes i did, its a model down from the one I had in the UK. But one of the other reasons for going back to England is to get a bit of work done on it hehe!
I wanted a new Seat Leon Cupra. But with moving to spain and everything just couldnt afford it. But heck im in a better place hehe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.