Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

First time driving in spain

First time driving in spain

Old May 11th 2016, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Donnymatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First time driving in spain

Hi all I will be in Spain next week and it will be the first time I have drove there. Is there anything I should know apart from the obvious that they drive on the wrong side of the road also it is a hire car.
Old May 11th 2016, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First time driving in spain

Just take it easy until you feel comfortable and do not forget that you are a novice driver on that side of the road.
Roundabouts gave me trouble at first as I kept going round them the wrong way unless I was following another car!
The Spanish also have differing, and in my opinion mad, rules on entering and leaving roundabouts so you need to keep your wits about you.
I also found that in an emergency my brain reacted as though I was driving in the UK and that means you drive in to trouble rather than away from it.
Fortunately I have never had an accident

As an aside take out insurance covering your insurance excess as you get plenty of dents and nicks when parked and the hirer Companies may charge for theses.
Old May 11th 2016, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

One addition especially re roundabouts don't expect Spaniards to indicate if they do it's a bonus.
Old May 11th 2016, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks johnnyone
Old May 11th 2016, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks bobd22
Old May 11th 2016, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where you are driving, hopefully NOT around Madrid for the first time in a LHD.
Basically, drive defensively always expecting the worse but hoping for the best. Try to imagine your car in a defensive 'bubble' and let it all happen around you, but not involving you! Its NOT that bad, just don't get involved if theres a situation developing.
ROUNDABOUTS, doubly important to expect the worse, as Spanish rules are spurious in some cases as to who has right of way, look at the signage. Also, a Spanish driver could well be going all the way around in the outside lane, its normal as they take driving on the right to mean that, even on roundabouts. Its nothing like the usual UK way of negotiating roundabouts, depending on your intended exit. Croppers come when they may cut across your bows just as you plan to leave!!!

Relax, plan and expect to change the plan on what you see or whats developing in front (or behind) you. Honestly, you'll be fine.............. just drive defensively and keep the peepers open fore and aft!

Always be the spectator, never the participant.

Finally, IF you get disoriented on the road or your brain tries to revert to UK RHD, just STOP where its safe and gather your thoughts before you drive on. Too many people just plough on, arguing with themselves and everyone in the car.... next stop Accident. Just pull over, collect your thoughts and stop the rot.

Usual things for Hire cars, everyone knows them, IF you are in any doubt that you may not be safe, keep moving and park up in a well populated / lit area (if at night) a(or even a Police station forecourt!) and again assess the situation. Accidents, again don't panic and remember the 'well populated area' rule. Thousands of people hire thousands of cars every year in Spain, with a very low 'dodgy' incident rate.

Sorry to bang on, was a Traffic 'Cop' in the UK for a very long time now living here, bad drivers are everywhere including Spain , just trying to help! Also, stick to speed limits, wear seat belts and stay off the phone when driving, the Guardia Civil Trafico Police are FAR more prevalent and more 'pro active' than the UK, they are a hell of a model for Roads Policing for sure!
Old May 11th 2016, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

Cllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond repute

Roundabouts should not pose a problem if used correctly. If you are taking the first exit on your right or going straight on, enter and exit using the outside lane. If you are going left, enter using the inside lane and manoeuvre to the outside lane just before your exit. The rules are that you must only exit a roundabout using the outside lane.

It is true that you can drive all the way round in the outside lane, but you still have to exit using that lane. If you follow the above you will never put yourself in a position of being hit or hitting another car. Where drivers get it wrong is when the try to exit from the inside lane cutting across the outside lane. It is against the law to exit using any other lane than the outside.

If you think about it, it makes sense, as if you always exit using the outside lane no one will cut across you. The crashes occur when there are two distinct lanes on the roundabout and cars going straight on enter and exit using the inside lane causing a car going left to crash into them. If you do this you are in the wrong as in Spain you can go all the way around using the outside lane.

A bit long winded, but I hope it makes sense.
Old May 12th 2016, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

cymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura about

Have a look a the N332 website (created by the Spanish Police), loads of advice on there:

Driving | N332 - Driving In Spain

Old May 12th 2016, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

Thanks lurchio
Old May 12th 2016, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

Thanks clive
Old May 12th 2016, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

Thanks cymruambyth
Old May 12th 2016, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cllve
Roundabouts should not pose a problem if used correctly. If you are taking the first exit on your right or going straight on, enter and exit using the outside lane. If you are going left, enter using the inside lane and manoeuvre to the outside lane just before your exit. The rules are that you must only exit a roundabout using the outside lane.

It is true that you can drive all the way round in the outside lane, but you still have to exit using that lane. If you follow the above you will never put yourself in a position of being hit or hitting another car. Where drivers get it wrong is when the try to exit from the inside lane cutting across the outside lane. It is against the law to exit using any other lane than the outside.

If you think about it, it makes sense, as if you always exit using the outside lane no one will cut across you. The crashes occur when there are two distinct lanes on the roundabout and cars going straight on enter and exit using the inside lane causing a car going left to crash into them. If you do this you are in the wrong as in Spain you can go all the way around using the outside lane.

A bit long winded, but I hope it makes sense.

Spanish driving rules say that you should treat the roundabout as if it is just a normal road - ie you should keep in the nearside lane (except when overtaking) and if you want to turn right you must be in the inside lane - as you be on a normal road. This makes some sense of what Clive describes above. Thinks of the carnage if people were to try and turn right from the outside lane on a normal dual carriageway! However, this is different from most other countries and takes a bit of getting used to. One advantage of being a right-hand virgin is that you will be thinking a lot more about the driving
Old May 12th 2016, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks mikej
Old May 12th 2016, 4:59 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cymruambyth
Have a look a the N332 website (created by the Spanish Police), loads of advice on there:

Driving | N332 - Driving In Spain

More specifically about roundabouts.

Exiting Roundabouts | N332 - Driving In Spain
Old May 12th 2016, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

I think I will hire a fairground dodger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.