Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

First names: are they regional? What are your neighbours and friends called?

First names: are they regional? What are your neighbours and friends called?

Old Dec 4th 2010, 1:54 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First names: are they regional? What are your neighbours and friends called?

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Is Gilan a shortening of a Spanish name? Some kid has scribbled it all over our dusty car!
I liked when someone wrote with his finger on a filthy car "I wish my wife were this dirty.."
Old Dec 4th 2010, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First names: are they regional? What are your neighbours and friends called?

Originally Posted by bil
I liked when someone wrote with his finger on a filthy car "I wish my wife were this dirty.."
Ha Ha. You would like my one-time facebook status, one day when my body heat was out of proportion with the local weather.
"Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me? But maybe not quite so menopausal!"
Old Dec 4th 2010, 2:15 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Ha Ha. You would like my one-time facebook status, one day when my body heat was out of proportion with the local weather.
"Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me? But maybe not quite so menopausal!"
That's gotta be worth karma.....
Old Dec 4th 2010, 2:56 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose the influence of the Catholic church will never fade entirely from Spain and their naming customs. I remember when I first got to Zaragoza, being amazed at how many Pilars there were. I swear, one daughter from every family had to be named Maria Pilar...thousands of Pili's and Mapi's. Barcelona had the same thing with Montse's (Montserrat) as well as Núrias, Euskadi has Arantxas galore (Our Lady of Arantzazu) and Ainhoa, Valencia has it's Amparos (La Virgin de los Desamparados), Andalucia has Rocios, Macarena, Carmens, Spain and France have Lourdes, Mexico has Guadalupes....not to mention all the other names derived from the Virgin;

Some Marian names are taken from titles of the Virgin.
http://www.behindthename.com/glossary/view/marian_names

•Consolata/Consuelo - consolation
•Dolores - sorrows
•Luz - light
•Madonna - "my lady"
•Maris - the sea
•Mercedes - mercy
•Milagros - miracles
•Nieves - snows
•Pilar - pillar (on which she supposed appeared in Saragossa in Spain)
•Regina - queen
•Remedios - remedies
•Rocío - dew
•Rosario - rosary
•Socorro - relief, help
•Soledad - solitude
Other names are taken from places where there are sanctuaries honouring her.

•Ainhoa - France
•Arantzazu - Spain (Basque)
•Carmel - Israel
•Guadalupe - Spain
•Idoya - Spain (Basque)
•Itziar - Spain (Basque)
•Loreto - Italy
•Lourdes - French
•Meritxell - Spain
•Naiara - Spain
•Núria - Spain
Others are from events in her life.

•Annunziata - the angel's announcement to Mary that she would conceive the son of God
•Asunción - the assumption of Mary into heaven
•Concepción - the immaculate conception
•Encarnación - the incarnation of Jesus in her womb
•Visitación - the visit of Mary to her cousin Elizabeth