Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Fires in La Safor

Fires in La Safor

Old Jun 13th 2012, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice
Default Fires in La Safor

Has anyone been affected by the fires that started yesterday (near Terrateig and Villalonga apparently)? Oliva is covered in ash this morning! I'm not sure if they are out yet - can't see any smoke at the moment.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 11:00 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fires in La Safor

Originally Posted by petew
Has anyone been affected by the fires that started yesterday (near Terrateig and Villalonga apparently)? Oliva is covered in ash this morning! I'm not sure if they are out yet - can't see any smoke at the moment.
we can smell it as far away as Jávea - I think........... apparently there was a small fire near Denia too, but I don't think that would have accounted for the sky being thick with ash & people in Gata de Gorgos reporting it on the ground

eta - it was apparently still burning at 8am today - 70 evacuated

http://ecodiario.eleconomista.es/soc...s-vecinos.html

Last edited by lynnxa; Jun 13th 2012 at 11:15 am.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 12:16 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Last night we were walking back from our local restaurant and the tops of the mountains in the distance were covered in flames, and the sky was red ... that was about 10 pm.

This morning it looks as if the fires are out but the terraces here and the pool are covered in ash, a real mess. The site of the fire is on my normal cycle route so I'm really sorry to think of the damage that may have been done.

Its the first time since we've been here that there has been a fire so close to us. Sat and PC Guy said that people were being evacuated from Villalonga last night, so it must have been very bad close to them, and theres a big urbanisation up on the hills behind Villalonga
Old Jun 13th 2012, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

Barnie is an unknown quantity at this point

I should imagine that a lot of people are affected. if you look on ThinkSpain they have details. This morning everywhere near Villalonga is covered in a bit of ash and the mountain which goes over from Villalonga to Terreteig is alight in small groups (whats a collective name for groups of fires!) - there are not as many planes going overhead now, or at least I can't hear them although they started at 7.30 this morning having stopped during the night. Lots of people have been evacuated at same of the villages. Terreteig/Rugat etc. the fire has gone up the mountain at least it had at 10.30 this morning and hopefully they are putting it out. I had a birthday treat in the Vall de Gallinera but it turned into something else, we could see helicopters going over what we thought was La Cuna. Then we saw planes dippling into the Beniarres reservoir but this morning its helicopters with water bags being dropped on the fire. The men flying the planes want a medal - it was truly scarey watching them fly with so much precision, dropping water that was in excess but sometimes taking on too much and having a job to take off the reservoir. The people who are dealing with it are very experienced its just a pity that the other side of the main road to xativa is just recovering from the fire 2 years ago. They say..... that its been started deliberately but thats just gossip, until its known, people should shut up. People do annoy me they always like to speculate. Our next door neighbour who is in his 70s says the sap in the pine trees dries up and easily catches fire. You just have to have a mirror on a hot day under the sun to see how a fire can start - I just feel sorry for the people who live on the mountains, villages, the animals etc. etc.
Lets hope they are on the way to putting the fire out and people can get back to some normality.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 12:28 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barnie
I should imagine that a lot of people are affected. if you look on ThinkSpain they have details. This morning everywhere near Villalonga is covered in a bit of ash and the mountain which goes over from Villalonga to Terreteig is alight in small groups (whats a collective name for groups of fires!) - there are not as many planes going overhead now, or at least I can't hear them although they started at 7.30 this morning having stopped during the night. Lots of people have been evacuated at same of the villages. Terreteig/Rugat etc. the fire has gone up the mountain at least it had at 10.30 this morning and hopefully they are putting it out. I had a birthday treat in the Vall de Gallinera but it turned into something else, we could see helicopters going over what we thought was La Cuna. Then we saw planes dippling into the Beniarres reservoir but this morning its helicopters with water bags being dropped on the fire. The men flying the planes want a medal - it was truly scarey watching them fly with so much precision, dropping water that was in excess but sometimes taking on too much and having a job to take off the reservoir. The people who are dealing with it are very experienced its just a pity that the other side of the main road to xativa is just recovering from the fire 2 years ago. They say..... that its been started deliberately but thats just gossip, until its known, people should shut up. People do annoy me they always like to speculate. Our next door neighbour who is in his 70s says the sap in the pine trees dries up and easily catches fire. You just have to have a mirror on a hot day under the sun to see how a fire can start - I just feel sorry for the people who live on the mountains, villages, the animals etc. etc.
Lets hope they are on the way to putting the fire out and people can get back to some normality.
this morning's Las Provincias was saying that it was thought to be deliberate
Old Jun 13th 2012, 12:36 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately on many occasions the fires tend to be either deliberate, or by stupidity.

I cant see the fires still from here now, but I guess by the sound of it they have gone over the other side

Vert sad
Old Jun 13th 2012, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

Stillwater will become famous soon enough

Oh boy, I hope the firefighters can prevent the fire from entering the Serpis valley:
http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2012/0...339591332.html