British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Fire in Valencia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/fire-valencia-950785/)

growinspain Feb 22nd 2024 11:14 am

Fire in Valencia

Why???
It should not burn like that...

tebo53 Feb 22nd 2024 2:24 pm

Re: Fire in Valencia

Should there be a link to something?

Steve

1sexsmith Feb 22nd 2024 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by growinspain (Post 13241955)
Why???
It should not burn like that...

The facade is believed to have had a particular material on it which would have become combustible very quickly. Similar to what happened in Grenfell in UK I assume.

Rosemary Feb 22nd 2024 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by tebo53 (Post 13241975)
Should there be a link to something?

Steve

Here is a link from the BBC. Spanish television has covered it thoroughly.

https://click.email.bbc.com/?qs=e99e...10e74f6278d1b1

Rosemary

tebo53 Feb 22nd 2024 6:54 pm

Thanks Rosemary, it's devastating for all concerned. It's surprising how quickly it took hold.

Steve

1sexsmith Feb 22nd 2024 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by tebo53 (Post 13241983)
Thanks Rosemary, it's devastating for all concerned. It's surprising how quickly it took hold.

Steve

Unfortunately it was the wind that made it spread so fast. It looks so terrible. Still a number of people missing
​​They are cancelling the fire works this evening and there will be 3 days of mourning. A terrible tragedy.

Rosemary Feb 22nd 2024 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by tebo53 (Post 13241983)

Steve

Difficult to watch how quickly the whole place became flames and smoke. So many people lost everything and became homeless instantly but they are the lucky ones when some lost their lives. Tragic.

Rosemary

Rosemary Feb 22nd 2024 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith (Post 13241984)
Unfortunately it was the wind that made it spread so fast. It looks so terrible. Still a number of people missing
​​They are cancelling the fire works this evening and there will be 3 days of mourning. A terrible tragedy.

I was pleased to see that they have cancelled the fireworks and decided on 3 days mourning.

Rosemary

Fredbargate Feb 22nd 2024 7:33 pm

Unfortunately it was the wind that made it spread so fast

Unfortunately wind is not an unusual phenonomen in Spain and should have been considered in the design.
RIP.

Lynn R Feb 22nd 2024 7:56 pm

Whoever decided it was a good idea to clad high rise buildings in inflammable materials, what were they thinking? A dreadful tragedy and I am so sorry for the families and friends of those who have lost their lives and all those who have lost everything. A terrible time for the firefighters too, who have still to face the awful task of searching the ruined building for the bodies of people who weren't able to escape.

Fredbargate Feb 22nd 2024 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Lynn R (Post 13241994)
Whoever decided it was a good idea to clad high rise buildings in inflammable materials, what were they thinking?

Unfortunately Lynn cheaper building costs and bigger profit.

1sexsmith Feb 22nd 2024 8:38 pm

On the Spanish radio I just heard them talking to an architect who says that the building was constructed in 2005 and the fachada or facade was covered with a polyurethane material that is now known ( but not at time) to be combustible at high temperatures. He says that many buildings from that period onwards have these coverings and they will now need to be redone but the cost will be burdened by owners not constructors unless such possible events could have been deem to have foreseeable and known at time of construction. He says that the design of the building, the wind and this material will have all added up to the disaster.

SanNico Feb 22nd 2024 8:43 pm

It would be hard to deny the cladding played a huge part in this worse. The Tedi store below the apartments was renovated a couple of years ago and appears to be fine.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...48c03c5c5d.jpg

Rosemary Feb 22nd 2024 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith (Post 13242002)
On the Spanish radio I just heard them talking to an architect who says that the building was constructed in 2005 and the fachada or facade was covered with a polyurethane material that is now known ( but not at time) to be combustible at high temperatures. He says that many buildings from that period onwards have these coverings and they will now need to be redone but the cost will be burdened by owners not constructors unless such possible events could have been deem to have foreseeable and known at time of construction. He says that the design of the building, the wind and this material will have all added up to the disaster.

Yes, they said on television last night that the material used was to help with insulating against the heat in summer and cold in winter but they did not know that it was combustible when it was used.

Rosemary.

1sexsmith Feb 22nd 2024 9:05 pm

I am afraid it is now turning into a national tragedy as it is believed ( not confirmed) that a family with two young children and a baby might have died. Sanchez is now arriving in Valencia.

The construction firm have claimed that a promotional video says the material was an aluminium covering but have failed to point out that it was 0.5 ml thick and backed by 5ml of polyurethane material.

Rosemary Feb 22nd 2024 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith (Post 13242010)
I am afraid it is now turning into a national tragedy as it is believed ( not confirmed) that a family with two young children and a baby might have died. Sanchez is now arriving in Valencia.

The construction firm have claimed that a promotional video says the material was an aluminium covering but have failed to point out that it was 0.5 ml thick and backed by 5ml of polyurethane material.

So sad if it is proved that a whole family were lost. Sad that anyone was lost at all.

I know that it is normal for people such as Sanchez to visit sites but I always wish that they would not as there are far more important jobs to be done than showing politician etc around.

There will be many, many arguments about what materials were used. The pros and cons of the fabrics will be debated and debated for a long time. Hopefully this tragedy will cause changes to occur in other buildings that will stop a future event such as this.

Rosemary

Rosemary Feb 22nd 2024 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith (Post 13242010)

On FB they have said that the baby of 2 weeks, child of 2 years and the parents are confirmed as dead.

Rosemary

DLC Feb 22nd 2024 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith (Post 13242002)
On the Spanish radio I just heard them talking to an architect who says that the building was constructed in 2005 and the fachada or facade was covered with a polyurethane material that is now known ( but not at time) to be combustible at high temperatures. He says that many buildings from that period onwards have these coverings and they will now need to be redone but the cost will be burdened by owners not constructors unless such possible events could have been deem to have foreseeable and known at time of construction.

The building code in Spain was changed in 2006 and again in 2017 after Grenfell but it's still the same problem as there was after Grenfell, nobody wants to foot the bill for existing builds.

Also the problem may not just be limited to builds with concrete walls, polyurethane insulation, and aluminium cladding - there are builds which use polyurethane insulation between two brick or concrete walls.

1sexsmith Feb 23rd 2024 12:05 am

I see that the Valencia government are going to move people a large block of new flats which will be paid by government - so that is at least something as alot of people need to housed and apparently many don't have insurance policies which cover costs of compensating them of they have to rent new places. Honestly it is heartbreaking to watch as people are so upset about the deaths and also because they have lost everything
​​​​I would hope that the Spanish government does everything to help these people and doesn't skimp on costs as it is clear that governments have no problem handing millions for the war in Ukraine to help people there and they should need no debate about assisting their own residents here in Spain and not start telling them to go insurance companies or seek costly legal advice or pick up donations. Everyone should be housed in safe secure areas near the location they lived with sufficient funding to replace those items that people need for normal life.

Rosemary Feb 23rd 2024 12:36 am

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith (Post 13242054)
I see that the Valencia government are going to move people a large block of new flats which will be paid by government - so that is at least something as alot of people need to housed and apparently many don't have insurance policies which cover costs of compensating them of they have to rent new places. Honestly it is heartbreaking to watch as people are so upset about the deaths and also because they have lost everything
​​​​I would hope that the Spanish government does everything to help these people and doesn't skimp on costs as it is clear that governments have no problem handing millions for the war in Ukraine to help people there and they should need no debate about assisting their own residents here in Spain and not start telling them to go insurance companies or seek costly legal advice or pick up donations. Everyone should be housed in safe secure areas near the location they lived with sufficient funding to replace those items that people need for normal life.

Well said.

Rosemary

spainrico Feb 23rd 2024 12:59 am

How can there not be a law to insist that all building materials are tested for their combustible specifications and fireproof rating?

How can it be fine to say 'We didn't know it would burn?'

I hope the cause was not another of those electric scooters that go up in smoke when being charged...

DLC Feb 23rd 2024 1:11 am

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith (Post 13242054)
I would hope that the Spanish government does everything to help these people and doesn't skimp on costs as it is clear that governments have no problem handing millions for the war in Ukraine to help people there and they should need no debate about assisting their own residents here in Spain and not start telling them to go insurance companies or seek costly legal advice or pick up donations. Everyone should be housed in safe secure areas near the location they lived with sufficient funding to replace those items that people need for normal life.

The city has already announced a payment of €6000-10000 per household, €1000-1500 per month for those who decide to move to a rented flat, and they will be able to move to a building used for VPO.

Rosemary Feb 23rd 2024 1:42 am

Another practical thing that is happening is that locals are gathering together clothing and useful items to help the displaced families. I suspect that people all around the Valencian province will get involved in this aspect.

Normal things can be replaced, however their personal possessions cannot so their lives will be changed forever. Initially the practicalities of life will dominate their thoughts and they will be grateful to have come out alive but when the real emotions kick in I hope that there will be help provided for them at that point.

Rosemary

spainrico Feb 23rd 2024 2:36 am

I would be happy to donate if anyone has any details...

Rosemary Feb 23rd 2024 2:54 am

Originally Posted by spainrico (Post 13242089)
I would be happy to donate if anyone has any details...

Not found anything at the moment. Do you mean goods or money?

Rosemary

spainrico Feb 23rd 2024 2:57 am

Either....depends on where the donation collection point is for goods.

I have recently visited Valencia (again) and enjoy spending time there very much and so feel a connection...

Rosemary Feb 23rd 2024 3:02 am

Originally Posted by spainrico (Post 13242094)
Either....depends on where the donation collection point is for goods.

I have recently visited Valencia (again) and enjoy spending time there very much and so feel a connection...

I adore Valencia.

At the moment all I can find is based at the local area. I feel sure that more centres will arise though. I have been surprised that there have not been messages to me from the ladies who tend to organise this sort of thing in my town. Possibly still at the point of getting the logistics sorted.

Rosemary

DLC Feb 23rd 2024 3:02 am

Three donation points so far:

Falla Maestro Rodrigo General Avilés, ubicada en calle l´Alquería de Ricós.

Falla Hernández Lázaro, en la calle Valle de la Ballestera

Falla Escultor García Más, situada en la calle médico Ramón Tarazona, 2
Open from 5:30-9pm.

Rosemary Feb 23rd 2024 3:12 am

Originally Posted by DLC (Post 13242096)
Three donation points so far:

Open from 5:30-9pm.

Those were the only ones that I could find too.

Rosemary

1sexsmith Feb 23rd 2024 3:27 am

To be honest people should not need to donate. The Spanish government should have access to all persons effected by the fire and payments should be made immediately to those in need
During the pandemic when people were told they could not work our wages were immediately paid to our accounts without any need to contact anyone or sign anything. The government has all the resources and more at their finger tips to help these people and they should not have to have the indignity of rummaging through old clothes etc. The state has an obligation to assist not the citizens and if they can send millions of euros to Ukraine along with hugely expensive weapons in weeks they can surely make sure 250 odd people are housed and clothed by tonight!!!!

Rosemary Feb 23rd 2024 4:40 am

No matter what was done by the government or other official bodies the people of Valencia would still donate. They donate because it fills a need in them to help not because a donation is needed. It is their way of showing support and the fact that they care.

Rosemary

VEDShappy Feb 23rd 2024 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith (Post 13242104)
To be honest people should not need to donate. The Spanish government should have access to all persons effected by the fire and payments should be made immediately to those in need
During the pandemic when people were told they could not work our wages were immediately paid to our accounts without any need to contact anyone or sign anything. The government has all the resources and more at their finger tips to help these people and they should not have to have the indignity of rummaging through old clothes etc. The state has an obligation to assist not the citizens and if they can send millions of euros to Ukraine along with hugely expensive weapons in weeks they can surely make sure 250 odd people are housed and clothed by tonight!!!!

Of course they can.
When we had fires around here a couple of years ago temporary accommodation was immediately in place for those evacuated.

Rosemary Feb 23rd 2024 8:57 pm

Apparently local firms are equipping the apartments that the Valencian government have made available. Not sure where I gained that information so cannot provide a link.

Rosemary

Lynn R Feb 24th 2024 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Rosemary (Post 13242211)
Apparently local firms are equipping the apartments that the Valencian government have made available. Not sure where I gained that information so cannot provide a link.

Rosemary

It was good to read this article in one of our Málaga papers this morning.

Obra nueva de 2 a 3 habitaciones y hasta 75 m2, el nuevo hogar para los afectados del incendio de Valencia (malagahoy.es)

spainrico Feb 24th 2024 9:15 pm

Yes sounds like they are being taken care...good news.