Reload this Page >

Fined for tobacco smuggling.

Fined for tobacco smuggling.

Old Jun 2nd 2014, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

spielbergo74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fined for tobacco smuggling.

Hi there wondering if anyone can help.

I made the big mistake of smuggling 600 pouches of tobacco in 2008 in which I got caught a Girona Airport when coming back to Britain. They seized the tobacco and let me go with a big telling off. A few months later I got an official letter telling me the case was taken to a tribunal and I have to pay a fine of 6000euros. I did not pay the fine because it was too much and no one told me the case was going to be taken to court. I have not been to Spain since in fear of being arrested. Can someone tell me if i will still be wanted in Spain for this and whether my passport will still be marked for the offence, I was told either to pay the fine or not go back to Spain for 5 years by a solicitor online but not sure how true this is.. I would like to go the Tenerife this year but I dont want to go if I will still get into trouble for this. Can anyone help. Thanks
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fined for tobacco smuggling.

I can not answer your questions, simply I would not worry too much, I had a similar problem once, I do not think its a national problem more regional, its strange that I have never ventured into Andalucia. however if you can not find a answer and it really bothers you then simplyy change your name by deed poll, you will get a new passport and a new passport number
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 1:36 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

You can call the courts and ask what state your case is in, it's quite likely that after the 5 years it's been finished with but there's no problem in you phoning yourself.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

spielbergo74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your advice, does anyone know how i can get my passport checked to see if it is still marked?????

I dont think its a good idea to change my name and passport just so i can go on holiday to the Canaries dont think the missus would be happy with that lol. Madrid boy what do you mean after 5 years its been finished, does that mean they wont bother me even if i enter Spain. It will be a bit difficult for me to contact the court, I dont speak Spanish and no longer have any details of the case the tribunal was held on Girona.

Thanks again
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

In your situation I 'd stay away and I am not sure I could be convinced to do otherwise.

Unless I had 6000 Euros + a bit of interest, in which case I might risk it and pay if detained.

Have you tried Turkey. Nice beaches and the currency is down 30% against the UKP this year. Bargain, and you can be sure you'll be allowed home.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

frisco2001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, I would ask an English/Spanish Solicitor.

Probably not allowed to advertise on here so either find your own.

Google "solicitors in spain" try the first un sponsored link.

C ya
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 6:26 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spielbergo74
Hi there wondering if anyone can help.

I made the big mistake of smuggling 600 pouches of tobacco in 2008 in which I got caught a Girona Airport when coming back to Britain. They seized the tobacco and let me go with a big telling off. A few months later I got an official letter telling me the case was taken to a tribunal and I have to pay a fine of 6000euros. I did not pay the fine because it was too much and no one told me the case was going to be taken to court. I have not been to Spain since in fear of being arrested. Can someone tell me if i will still be wanted in Spain for this and whether my passport will still be marked for the offence, I was told either to pay the fine or not go back to Spain for 5 years by a solicitor online but not sure how true this is.. I would like to go the Tenerife this year but I dont want to go if I will still get into trouble for this. Can anyone help. Thanks
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. I am the Concierge for the Spanish section and thought that you might find it helpful to know that the moderators for the Spanish forums are Fred James and Bevs, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary