Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

finding work...really that hard?

finding work...really that hard?

Old Jan 28th 2008, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: finding work...really that hard?

Originally Posted by lcortez
NVQ's are recognised in Spain.
In fact they where originally set up as a Europe wide qaulification,to aid in qualification recognition.
With regard to work,ever though about becoming self employed?
With an NVQ in Childcare and Education, would you need to apply for the "Oposicion"?

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
and that might just be your passport.

Time to look into nursery school management/ownership and with the number of expats midwifery !!!
Come on! ACD, Midwifery takes at least 3 years!

Originally Posted by Econ
...General forms of employment as you mention can be much more difficult, Spain has started to suffer from employment problems caused by immigration...
Ok, and your point ties in with Sally's below...

Originally Posted by sally phil
...We know we wont live like kings and it will be hard but surely if you are not fussy about what you do there are jobs out there ...as long as we can put food on the table,we do have Qualifications (childcare,hairdressing)and skills (tool hire maintenance,food production,gift of the gab)between us and Phil is learning Spanish...
Hello Sally, and welcome,
Your point about not being fussy about what you do and putting food on the table sounds exactly what some other EU and non-EU immigrants to Spain would be thinking. Likewise, some EU immigrants to the UK are doing exactly that, working in the fields, in shops, in homes for the elderly, etc.
Would that be something you would be prepared to do in Spain?

A question (not to be taken personally): Do Americans or British (or other EU member state citizens) expect to find employment in Spain on the same level as what they have left behind? Be truthful.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

See Sarah's reply regarding call centres but as far as I am aware the ones in Benidorm and Alfaz del Pi only require English. I did ring up for a job at one of them but have to say I chickened out - I just couldn't face the abuse that I would receive (I know what I was like when I received cold calls - I was positively evil)
Old Jan 28th 2008, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

sarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SueG
See Sarah's reply regarding call centres but as far as I am aware the ones in Benidorm and Alfaz del Pi only require English. I did ring up for a job at one of them but have to say I chickened out - I just couldn't face the abuse that I would receive (I know what I was like when I received cold calls - I was positively evil)
Hi Sue,

Yep the tele sales are cold calling which only needs English speakers and a skin like a Rhinocerous!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Come on! ACD, Midwifery takes at least 3 years!

Indeed it does take three years, but it is one job guaranteed to bring about employment.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

ACD, Sally mentioned something about a 2 year training window. Having said that, perhaps her SVQ would count towards part of that training program? I dunno.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

sally phil is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Carol&John
ACD, Sally mentioned something about a 2 year training window. Having said that, perhaps her SVQ would count towards part of that training program? I dunno.
Trouble is Im in a bit of a catch 22,although I see the value in adding to my qualification(can do a level4 in two years) At the moment Im a full time childminder to 4 children plus my own toddler,which pays fairly well,thus helping us save for the move,so to retrain means giving that up,losing income,go to college,find and pay for childcare for Emilio
I was thinking more of something we could do at night school or a short intensive school,just new skills really that may be useful but neither of us can afford to give up our current jobs as thats what is funding the move
I read one guy did a weekend course in locksmithery?and hes getting lots of work thats the sort of thing I mean,but without being there its hard to get a grip on what may be in demand
Im also a hairdresser well more barber really ,I ran a barber shop for 4 years,training staff accounts wages,everything really,are there many hairdressers/barbers regularly looking for staff
Im a little confused I hear doom and gloom about no work yet someone replied to me,sorry forgot your name,that there are plentiful bar/cafe/restaurant,jobs we are more than happy to do this kind of work but have the impression even this is hard to come by

I dont believe for one minute that Phil and I are going to end up in jobs equivalent to what we can get here,we just want to experience a different lifestyle and if it all goes wrong and we return then at least we can say we tried and had fun doing it,but the way things are going here just makes me so frustrated,we both earn decent money ,we dont have a huge mortgage,we never go out and we live on value foods from somerfields yet we always seem to be skint,gas and elec £110 pm council tax £90 pm fuel going up,food going up we are just so sick off knocking ourselves out just to keep our head above water and for what to live in a cold rainy miserable country,My baby loves playing outside but half the year its too cold and hes stuck inside watching tv,I just want him to enjoy life more and we may very well end up orking more hours less money but the spare time we do have will be so much more enjoyable......well thats the plan
Sorry about the rant ,I bet you are glad you are there and not here
Are most of you happy you made the move and of those of you not retired how did you find work?
Thanks for all your brilliant replies
Sally
Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Trouble is Im in a bit of a catch 22,although I see the value in adding to my qualification(can do a level4 in two years) At the moment Im a full time childminder to 4 children plus my own toddler,which pays fairly well,thus helping us save for the move,so to retrain means giving that up,losing income,go to college,find and pay for childcare for Emilio
I was thinking more of something we could do at night school or a short intensive school,just new skills really that may be useful but neither of us can afford to give up our current jobs as thats what is funding the move
If you ring or go on the learn direct website you can have a look at what training courses are available that suit your needs or whet your appetite. Speaking from experience you can get further qualifications that use your on job time as part of the qualification. I take it that formed part of your current NVQ?

I read one guy did a weekend course in locksmithery?and hes getting lots of work thats the sort of thing I mean,but without being there its hard to get a grip on what may be in demand
I don't think he is in spain yet, he might be driving down at the moment though.

Im also a hairdresser well more barber really ,I ran a barber shop for 4 years,training staff accounts wages,everything really,are there many hairdressers/barbers regularly looking for staff
Your laughing then. I saw that woman in Marbella belles with the Nail shop/hairdresser and she definately needed someone who knew what they were talking about, sounds like you have a good grounding for opportunity in this alone. (Are you sure you don't qualify for Australia with this background?)

Im a little confused I hear doom and gloom about no work yet someone replied to me,sorry forgot your name,that there are plentiful bar/cafe/restaurant,jobs we are more than happy to do this kind of work but have the impression even this is hard to come by
As long as you dont actually want to buy one, stay away from that arena.

I dont believe for one minute that Phil and I are going to end up in jobs equivalent to what we can get here,we just want to experience a different lifestyle and if it all goes wrong and we return then at least we can say we tried and had fun doing it,but the way things are going here just makes me so frustrated,we both earn decent money ,we dont have a huge mortgage,we never go out and we live on value foods from somerfields yet we always seem to be skint,gas and elec £110 pm council tax £90 pm fuel going up,food going up we are just so sick off knocking ourselves out just to keep our head above water and for what to live in a cold rainy miserable country,My baby loves playing outside but half the year its too cold and hes stuck inside watching tv,I just want him to enjoy life more and we may very well end up orking more hours less money but the spare time we do have will be so much more enjoyable......well thats the plan
I can see why you joined us here, a mutual opinion.

Sorry about the rant ,I bet you are glad you are there and not here. Are most of you happy you made the move and of those of you not retired how did you find work?
Thanks for all your brilliant replies
Sally
What rant?
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

No need to apologise, feeling better?
Your present job as a childminder to 5 children is indeed one of the hardest jobs to do, and at the same time maintaining your sanity. Foul weather plus kids equals a very LONG day! How ever do they manage it in Sweden, eh?
Sally, have you looked into the evening courses available at your nearest community college/high school? Which ones appeal to you? (Learning Spanish, for starters.)
Would you & family be able to go on a fact-finding mission to Spain, and present yourself to various private establishments (childcare/nursery/creches) with your credentials. Cold calling, but, in person! The only drawback might be they want you to start right away, and you may not be in a position to move quickly.
Hairdressing/nail technicians/beauty therapy/massage: these qualifications might land you a job in the hotel trade, or you could be self-employed.
For either occupation, learn the technical words/phrases in spanish (ask your spanish language teacher for some help with this), persist with your determination to succeed, & welcome the opportunity to do further training, even if it means starting at junior level.
Best wishes!
P.S. I see ACD is online and has posted similar info.
It would be helpful if anyone working in Spain in similar occupations could post; however, that's a waiting game. I think you'll have to find your own answers, as everyone's experience is different.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

NVQ's are recognised in Spain.
In fact they where originally set up as a Europe wide qaulification,to aid in qualification recognition.
With regard to work,ever though about becoming self employed?

Did you get there yet mate?
pm'd you by the way.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:23 am
Just Joined

thehollos is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
We live in Alicante (half hour drive from Benidorm) and as far as we can tell (been here 8 months now) work is hard to come by if you are not fluent in Spanish. I am also a nursery teacher and have applied for a couple of posts but because of not being fluent, I haven't got them. Even class room assistants in the British schools need Spanish. Saying that there is allot of 'teaching English' work. Many of the language schools are always advertising for people. Try this site http://alicante.loquo.com . Contrary to popular belief, Alicante is still very Spanish and very few people speak English, there is a big expat pop. either side of us though.

In Benidorm and surrounding areas, especially Javea and Denia, there are allot of English and thus the customer market so English shops, hairdressers etc. are needed. We have found the hardest thing is to get your plumbing, electricty, chimney swept, cooker mended, gas boiler replaced etc. etc. because of our lack of spanish. All the expats need these things done and if you advertise as speaking English you will get the custom. South of us is torrevieja and the Orihuella coast. Hundreds of expats again.

The decision has to be yours but you need to decide if you want to live in a heavily British populated area or be more rural and try to integrate. (this by the way is harder than anyone tells you but is possible if you are prepared to try)

We went to Gran alacant ,an urbanisation just outside Alacante,the other day as my son wanted fish and chips!!. The chip shop ladies spoke no spanish, there were English shops abound and I heard no Spanish at all. The school there will be bilingual when it is built , the doctors, the dentist, the vets all speak English and you could happily live in spain, in the sun and get away with not learning Spanish.

I have numerous friends all working with little or no spanish, but they all seem to be self employed. (they are all doing well though)The only people I know who speak no Spanish and have jobs in the Spanish market, have come over for those jobs with their companies and then the company provides all the help, healthcare, translators etc.

The other alternative is to do what we do and what a growing number of families do and that is commute. My husband works in the UK Monday -Thursday and gets the early flight home Fri morning. He then returns late Sunday night. We have 4 other friends doing this just in our area. The flights are cheap, you earn good money in the UK, you get reciprical healthcare and schooling etc. It is lonely and hard work at times (I have 2 children) but he gets all weekend with us, in the sun on the beach. In 8 months he has had more quality time with the kids than 8 years previous.

As for qualifications I would do your teaching cert. I so regret not finishing mine as I think you'd find a job no problem.

Good luck you have so much to think about but never let it waiver you of the fact that you are definately making the right decision. We love it here.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 1:48 pm
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

One thing I would warn you of is this attitude of not being fussed about earning much and just wanting a better quality of life.

I also moved to Spain thinking that but after a bit when you have destressed from your previous life you get fed up of scraping by.

It is human nature to challenge ourselves to keep pushing for more. I see many Brits moving back and most of that is down to financial reasons. Struggling to get by gets wearing after awhile.

I wish you luck, you are doing the right thing by asking these questions and getting more qualified before you come out. Your chances of success will be so much greater by this preparation.

Mark
Old Jan 29th 2008, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

You mention hairdressing - and I have been told but cannot verify it myself that you can always get jobs in hairdressers. A young lass in our road has been out here three years, is a qualified hairdresser and has never been out of work albeit working in various salons.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
Did you get there yet mate?
pm'd you by the way.
Hello there just replied to Pm
Not in Spain yet,hope to be there by E/O year,doing marketting course in Feb,to better my chances in Espana

With regard to OP,how about working as Hairdresser (Self Employed),perhaps start out doing home visits to keep initial costs down,also heard of a woman who in Marbella,who did home visits as a beatician,did a thing called spray tanning in a plastic booth in the clients home,app its in big demand in Spain
Old Jan 30th 2008, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Not in Spain yet,hope to be there by E/O year,doing marketting course in Feb,to better my chances in Espana

With regard to OP,how about working as Hairdresser (Self Employed),perhaps start out doing home visits to keep initial costs down,also heard of a woman who in Marbella,who did home visits as a beatician,did a thing called spray tanning in a plastic booth in the clients home,app its in big demand in Spain
thanks for all advice
have looked on learn direct and into doing courses at local college,(have to wait til September)we will most likely do spanish and something else each,but anything I like the sound of means full time college (have to wait til September)or complete change of job,Emilio is only 18 months and Im not ready to leave him yet not when I can earn a living from home and have him with me all day
Upgrading my nvq 3 to a 4 makes sense but again that means a change of job as you have to be working in a childcare environment for assessments ,childminding doesnt count,and I remember how much time I spent studying+that was before baby came along
As for hairdressing although Qualified its been years since I worked in a salon with ladies,I really class myself a barber now,mobile barbering maybe?,get a little sign written van drive around the expat areas,leaflets,cards in shops etc,what do you think ?...is it hard to find an english speaking barber gents?Possibly something I could do with tot in tow,hes cute.... really he is!or fit it around phils job,the beauty of self employment

You see yesterday I had it all figured out..ok live somewhere cheap eg cocentaina....work in Alicante,phil commutes on motorbike to save on fuel,I integrate into spanish life cut the locals hair,Emilio makes lots of spanish friends,evenings spent on roof terrace with vie of mountains...perfect

But then this morning Im reading your messages and everything changes because until you are there you cannot grasp what is right for you....hardly any work in Alicante,better off in Expat community but then the rents are so high
So fact finding mission ...yes!already planning one for nov/dec,perhaps another two in 2009 and plan to move early 2010 reason being I have a 16 year old at college and we wont move till hes settled into University,plus we have access to sort for Phils 5 year old....thats another story but his ex has a partner who works partly in Uk ..geest if anyones heard of it and part in Spain and she has threatened to move for ages ,hence court action followed costing us immensly but at least now any decisions she makes has to be approved by us and obviously new visiting terms set up,its anyones guess whether she will move first or us,she may never but I know we will.
Anyway getting back to it,can anyone give me a comprehensive idea of what say the top 10 expat areas along costa blanca are Im thinking between Torrevieja and Denia ish and tie that in with reasonable rent prices and opportunity to find work,in other words that Golden spot where everything is possible right!!!!and if it exists then everybody would live there,still any suggestions greatly received
So at least I know where to start my fact finding missions
Someone said Denia and Javea need British bussinesses and services but Ive researched rental prices...WOW maybe inland a bit then
I know I go on but I find it easier to get all my comments questions out of the way in one big hit when youve got rugrats needing nappy changes demanding snacks and trying to gouge each others eyes out,but mostly they are lovely,if only I could take them all with me parents as well obviously then Id be set
Many Thanks,you are all so kind
Sally
Old Jan 30th 2008, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

sorry spray tanning popular in
spain ....the irony!!!! but worth looking into thanks for the suggestion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.